Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » taking care of yourself while on antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: taking care of yourself while on antibiotics
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just finished a 10 day cycle of antibiotics (augmentin) for a sinus infection. i have only been on antibiotics once in the last year and a half or so (and that was a five day course of zithromax, which isn't terribly effective on the critters that move into my sinuses).
being terrified of getting a yeast infection, i tried (and failed) to eat yogurt on a regular basis during the week and a half (<whines> its hard to find vegan yogurt <end whine> ). meanwhile, the antibiotic was pretty nasty for my digestive functioning (nasuea, upset stomach,etc), and for my menstrual cycle (see the "keeper-like?" post to hear about hte joys of wearing a keeper while on antibiotics).

thus, i have a question. what do people advise about keeping their bodies happy while on antibiotics (in particular) or even while on other meds? things to eat, not eat, activities to avoid, things to look out for, etc?
and what kinds of experiences have other people had while on antibiotics?

i'm particularly interested becuase unfortunately, i don't think the first cycle cured the sinus infection (which i've had for five weeks prior to medication) so i may need to do a second cycle, possibly of an even stronger one.

thanks all!

hugs, and hopefully no more antibiotics!!
-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just cheat and take my yogourt in capsule form (ask in a pharmacy or health food store), or sometimes use yogourt directly in/on the vagina, as I'm none too fond of eating it either. I don't know that there is too much else you can do.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, to my understanding, the acidophilus in capsule form (when it is refrigerated -- don't buy the caps which are not, as the cultures won't likely be live) are MORE effective than eating yogurt, because they contain more concentrated amounts of acidophilus.

So, it's good news for yogurt haters.

Too, general advice for avoiding yeast infections is good to follow when you're on antibiotics: chill out on things that might dehydrate you (like coffee or soda), take it easy on processed foods and simple carbohydrates.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet has it right - the refridgerated acidophilus really, really helps. I also like a product that I get at GNC called "Yeast Defense" - It is a good preventative supplement that helps prevent yeast infections.
Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<nods>
yeah, all that is stuff i try to do, although i currently am only getting acidophilus from yogurt. being vegan makes it rather more difficult to find them-- gel caps are out.
do any of you know how to make yogurt? unfortunately all commercial soy yogurt i've found has copious (in fact, disgusting) amounts of sugar in it. when i get back to school, we're hoping the co-op yogurt maker can be prevailed upon to make a special batch of yogurt for the girls with the yeasties, but until then...

right now, i'm looking for something soothing, but i don't think i have an actual yeast infection, just a slight irritation from the combo of antibiotics with the keeper. '

and i guess my biggest antibiotic question is food-- they always warn you that there are a variety of gastronomical side effects possible with antibiotics. and usually about halfway thru the 10 days, those side effects show up. are there particular things that exacerbate that, or is it just normal rules about what is easy to digest and what isn't?

-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my memory is accurate, it's possible to get acidophilus in powder and -- I think -- liquid form, without any nasty gel caps or other animal byproducts. And if your local health food store doesn't have have such a thing in stock, they can probably get it for you.

Kyth, former health food store manager

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.