Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Aspertame

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aspertame
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drink an obscene amount of diet coke, it has to be diet anything actually, because of my diabetes, and anyways, i was wondering what exactly are the PROVEN effects of aspertame.

Does anyone know, because when i search, i find a bunch of stuff which is quite questionable.

Thanks!
~Erin~

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi celtic,

a quick search at WebMD came up with these articles...

Sugar Substitutes

Sweeteners

...they both conculde that there aren't enough conclusive studies as to side effects of aspartame, even though some people report them.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And how about checking in with the doc who helps you look after your diabetes? I am sure (s)he could help you, too.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personally, i don't think aspartame is anything to worry about. it's a dipeptide of aspartic acid and phenylalanine, both of which are amino acids that occur in nature and are necessary for regular metabolic function.

the only people who have a real problem with aspartame are phenylketonuriacs. they can't properly metabolise phenylalanine. instead it changes to what is called a "ketone" body, and it accumulates in the person's brain. this of course poses a serious and potentially fatal problem. but don't worry. if you don't know whether you have phenylketonuria, then you don't. it's diagnosed very early in life and is controlled by diet.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a sniggle on that.

After having seizures and chronic migraines for two years in high school and being onb every med, tested for everything under the sun, it was discovered that Aspartame/Nutrasweet was my problem. It was never made entirely clear if I was phenylketonuriac, and to my knowledge( fell free to correct me) there isn't a simple test for that and it can be damaging and it isn't tested for, so one rarely finds out from the onset, but rather, the hard way. The jury is also out on MANY aspects of aspartame and it did NOT have the rigorous testing other sweeteners usually have.

As far as diabetes goes, the ADA proclaims it safe in terms of diabeteics, and I'd trust their word. As far as general safety, I would be (and am) wary. Esepcially with small children. I'd not advise giving it to children under 10, flatly.

As a general rule as well, I;d watch ANY gross amount of processed food you're putting in your body. An obscene amount of soda -- aspartame or no -- isn't good for anyone.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that i shouldn't drink so much soda, hehe. I was pretty sure that it didn't have any serious effects, just wanted to be sure.

And as a side note, diabetics get Ketones from diabetic keto acidosis, and i know the feeling. I've never felt more sick then when i have ketones, thank goodness, i don't have the problem with the aspertame though...cause, us diabetics tend to use it a lot as a sub for sugar.

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After having seizures and chronic migraines for two years in high school and being onb every med, tested for everything under the sun, it was discovered that Aspartame/Nutrasweet was my problem. It was never made entirely clear if I was phenylketonuriac, and to my knowledge( fell free to correct me) there isn't a simple test for that and it can be damaging and it isn't tested for, so one rarely finds out from the onset, but rather, the hard way. The jury is also out on MANY aspects of aspartame and it did NOT have the rigorous testing other sweeteners usually have.

It's also been linked to problems in fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, CFIDS, and a host of other neuroimmunicologicial diseases. I'm starting to fall asleep, and can't remember where I read that, but if anyone's interested I'll try to dig it up and post it here.

Just for the record, I have fibromyalgia, and I get dizzy and generally sick if I have anything with Aspartame in it. Admittedly, I can't handle a lot of things that are generally considered safe or safe-ish -- for instance, even a tiny bit of something containing MSG will make me violently ill and neurotic, whereas most people can eat large amounts of it and just get a headache, if they react to it at all. But the evils of MSG are another thread entirely...

Kyth

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 10-30-2001).]

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gummy, don't they nowadays test for phenylketonuri-whatever at birth? I thought I just read something on that, since if you control it from birth with a special diet you can have a perfectly normal life, right?

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"Did you see my friend? He couldn't believe it, 'The girls are holding hands, the girls are holding hands!' Don't be a fool, it's 1995, the girls are just friends." --Belle and Sebastian, "Photo Jenny"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yup and yup, lemming

well, i suppose ppl can be allergic to aspartame, so my bad. ppl can be allergic to peas, too.

thoughts on saccharin perhaps? i've been reading up on it. there's that warning label on it, but recent studies have shown that despite being carcinogenic in rats, it hasn't had the same effects in humans. while rats and humans share a lot of physiological characters, some things dangerous to one have no effects on the other. like the mouse mammary tumor virus. causes mice to get tumors, but cannot trigger the same in ppl.

then again, what do i know? i'm a sugar junkie who can't stand the taste of either Nutrasweet or Sweet n' Low.

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a pretty big aspartame junkie, and i thought i'd bring this thread up to ask if anyone's had adverse effects from using asparatame. I know friends who get horrendous headaches from the stuff, and while i don't i'm concerned about future problems.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

People who get headaches from aspartame are allergic too it. I have a lot of friends who are allergic to the stuff and can't drink it. Sux because some of them are diabetic and that happens to be a pretty big thing for diabetics.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Tigerduck
Neophyte
Member # 8135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigerduck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the soda, Carbonated beverages leech (ahem, suck) calcium from your bones. It doesn't matter if they are soda or water, long term it is unhealthy. Somewhere in the forties range, women lose the ability to store calcium...sooo you see all those little, shrunken ladies...loss of bone mass, eventually could lead to brittle bones.
Posts: 1 | From: Bawstin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tigerduck, that is misinformation.

Both soda and water are carbonated with carbon dioxide - a common ingredient in air . This does NOT take calcium from your bones. Drinking too much soda isn't good for anyone, though, and many teens will drink soda instead of milk - hence why many people that drink soda have lower calcium intake.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my ecology teacher in secondairy 1 said aspartame makes people grow slowly or less than they should. so one you're done growing, it doesn't change anything. but i don't know where she took that information, i guess its possible that she was wrong.
Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lololol I was looking through the threads that have been posted in today, and I saw someone's V. People thread, and glanced at "Aspertame" (this one) and thought that was a new user's name and their thread at V. People.. lol!

------------------
like a fish needs a bicycle

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm gonna defend my right to earn a bachelor's degree in bio by explain the calcium leeching effects of sodas.

sodas really do tend to leech calcium. but not for the reasons tigerduck enumerated. yes, sodas fizz with carbon dioxide (which in water solution forms carbonic acid) but this is not the cause of the problem. Sodas also tend to contain phosphoric acid. THIS is what causes the calcium loss. And not just in women, but men, too. Bone is Calcium carbonate. In the blood, phosphoric acid (as acids tend to do) dissolves into hydrogen ions and phosphate ions. The phosphate ions react with the calcium carbonate in the bone, and eventually pluck off the calcium. Thus you get calcium loss.

I don't like the news either as i have a vicious Pepsi habit. but as long as you eat plenty of calcium in your diet, you will be okily dokily. broccoli, milk and fortified fruit juices are a good place ot start.

I know, this had nothing to do with aspartame, but i hope it proves useful to someone.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was actually just an article in my local newspaper, and it said not getting enough calcium can actually lead to obesity. i found that interesting.

Does broccoli have calcium?

Also, while we're on the topic, i've started taking calcium chews, and was wondering about the benefits/drawbacks of them.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't know of any hazards to taking calcium chews as a supplement, but one thing to remeber, there is such thing as going overboard. too much calcium can lead to such unpleasantries as kidney stones.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

mingo
Activist
Member # 7667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mingo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Killerraincoat, I saw that thing on calcium too. The article I read insisted that calcium from suppliments wouldn't help, only that from dairy products, which made me wonder if the Dairy council or whatever they call themselves did the study. gumdropgirl is right about the kidney stones. In truth nearly anything can be dangerous if overdone. As a friend of mine used to say "Moderation in all things, of course"

------------------
We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out

[This message has been edited by mingo (edited 05-10-2002).]

Posts: 126 | From: Ferndale, Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it's some sort of dairy-council conspiracy The trouble with supplements is that the body can absorb only so much calcium at a time, and a calcium supplement provides more than the body can absorb. Therefore, if someone decides to meet their daily calcium requirement by taking a supplement once a day, they won't actually be meeting their requirement. Calcium from dairy foods (or calcium-enriched tofu or fortified orange juice or what have you) is more likely to be consumed in small amounts during the day, making it much more likely for the person to meet their requirement.
Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.