Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Oral surgery - wisdom teeth (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oral surgery - wisdom teeth
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ack!

I've been putting it off forever, and now I've finally worked up the ovaries to just get my wisdom teeth yanked, all four of 'em. I went to the oral surgeon for my pre-op appointment, and he said they gotta come out.

So, July 25 will be a dark day for my gums.

PLEASE, guys, tell me about any of your wisdom teeth extractions or whatever, re oral surgery.

and if they're called "wisdom teeth," why do they take them out? *struggling to smile*

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Boo to the business world/You know a girl who's tax-free on her back and making/Plenty cash/But you are working for the joy of giving" --Belle and Sebastian, "Lazy Line-Painter Jane"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had all four taken out back in December. The process went absolutely fine although it left me wanting the nitrous oxide really bad since I had a wonderful nap when they extracted my teeth.

I don't think I was a usual case though since later that day, I felt absolutely fine and then two days later, I was back on solid (chewing) food again. Normally you aren't supposed to be on solid (requires chewing) food for about a week though.

I do want to caution you on one thing though: If you go home and take a nap, make sure that you're face up. I took a nap on my side and I ended up with some blood stains on my mattress from the blood running out of my mouth. Make sure to change the gauze pieces too. The nurse should give you some clean ones to take home with you. You will get a perscription of Vicodin which will help in any pain that you might have.

I didn't have too much swelling either..you could hardly tell that I had them taken out.

Oh...make sure you get this plastic syringe for cleaning out the wounds. This helps to keep it clear of food particles that would otherwise get trapped and cause infections in there. You will know if food is trapped in there since it starts to get this really foul smell and taste. You might have a foul taste in your mouth for a few days, but that is normal.

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had oral surgery on my mouth about 2 years ago, but it wasnt my wisdom teeth, it was my bicusbids or something like that. I had baby teeth that wouldnt come out, and they were blocking my adult teeth so the decided to take them out.

The day of the sugery, they gave me novicane, and some kind of gas to make me feel all funny. (I wasnt sleeping) its just so you feel out of it. So they did what they had to do and took the teeth out. But they didnt just take out the teeth, they had to take the surrounding bone out with it. Lucky it was on my bottom set of teeth.

After they were done, they let me relax until the stuff that they gave me wore off so I could walk. But of course as soon as the stuff wore off, (my stomach is sooooo sensitive) I threw up. I didnt have any pain in my mouth since the novicane was still there.

After the novicane wore off I was in a lot of pain. I took crushed up advil. (BLAH). That did help. All I ate was jello, and ice cream. I tried to eat Mac & Cheese, but I couldnt open my mouth wide enough, and when I did, I felt like my mouth was going to fall off.

The best thing to come out of the whole thing is that I lost 15 lbs!! yay! So I was down to 105lbs. And so far I only gained about 6 pounds back. Boohoo...

Make sure you do clean it. It does hurt, but its better then having the dentist do it. He did it for me, and I didnt like that at all. So make sure after you eat to clean it, because you dont want no bacteria growin in there.

So yes girlie make sure that you have lots of advil. Yoou will be okay!! If you need to know anything else, just e-mail me. I will be thinkin about you gurl!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 07-13-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 9 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh i was just at the dentist today ... !!

I've never had surgery, but i've had numerous teeth pulled and a few fillings (today ... ugh). I had to have a filling a while ago and my dentist nows how terrified i am of him (the whole idea of it!), so he gave me some "laughing gas" (nitrous oxide?) I totally flipped out. I was screaming and crying and acting like a lunatic b/c i felt like the walls were closing in on me. He actually remembered that today, when he offered it to me (i'm a big baby) ... then he said, oh wait, you don't like that do you? I must be weird.

Novacaine is a wonderful thing ... But be sure to tell him/her if you don't feel it. I could feel every single drill today b/c it wasn't really frozen My lip started to go numb when he was done ... GRR! I found that when getting my teeth removed, it's actually the site of the needle that hurts the most ... weird huh? I think it has something to do w/ muscles.

My dad had his taken out a few years ago and he slept for about 4 days. He was drugged up on tylenol 3's for a while ... so he wasn't in a lot of pain. My bf had his taken out a few months ago as well, and he was eating solid foods the next day. He's weird too tho.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are great.

More, more encouraging stories! ;]

And yes, I will be under sedation via IV plus some Valium and Phenergan. And I've got a big prescription for Vicodin for afterwards.

This from the girl who shies away from drugs!

Oh, well, at least they aren't giving me antibiotics.

Thanks for the stories. Anyone else?

------------------

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Boo to the business world/You know a girl who's tax-free on her back and making/Plenty cash/But you are working for the joy of giving" --Belle and Sebastian, "Lazy Line-Painter Jane"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, last visit to the dentist I had 2 out of 3 fillings (the last one I'll get in 2 weeks or so) and one tooth pulled. The tooth that was pulled was a baby tooth (I'm 16 ... kinda wierd) and that wasn't a big deal because I was so numb from all the novacaine anyway that I couldn't feel a thing.

Also that day, the dentist put some topical on (just to numb my gums a bit before the parade of novacaine shots to follow) and left me laying in the chair so I swallowed some of it by accident so my throat got all numb and it felt really weird. Like, I could swallow and I knew that I swallowed, but I couldn't tell if there was any saliva or anything still in my throat/back of the mouth.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I've learned from oral surgery is to take my pain killers as soon as I can. Once the pain becomes intense, it is hard to control. If you start to feel pain as the novocaine is wearing off, take your pain killers. It is much easier to kill pain when it is still at low level. Since you might remain be somewhat sedated after surgery, talk to your oral surgeon before the sedation starts about how and when to take the painkillers that he will usually prescribe. If you discuss this while you are sedated, you might not remember. My oral surgeon's assistant gave me a printed sheet with instructions on how to use painkillers so I would have something concrete to which to refer.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had my three (i'm some sort of mutant) wisdom teeth removed a year or so ago. i was lucid for the procedure, which went by quite fast and was painless. i felt fine afterwards. even the pain wasn't painful. i felt bruised, but other than that, everything was peachy. didn't need vicodin, or even advil. the only thing i didn't like was the drooling. i don't like to swallow after going to the dentist. and i didn't eat, either. but 48 hours later, i was good as new

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! I had my four wisdom teeth taken out a year ago (that would make me at the ripe age of 14) and it wasn't so bad. Stop reading if you don't want to hear the truth....

Going under wasn't a problem, the last thing I remember is "next stop margaritaville", waking up was my problem. I don't know why, but I had a sort of panic attack. I couldn't call out for help which probably made it all much much worse than it should have been. However, very soon my mom came in and I was fine.

Keep ice on your jaws at all times unless you want to look like a balloon, which will make you feel worse. I mean *always* have it on, even when you sleep, because then you won't swell up and it keeps you nice and numb. You have to figure out for yourself what foods you can or can't eat (my mom tried to give me applesauce but it was too sugary and I ended up puking). eating big foods isn't really that hard, you just have to cut a teeny tiny piece and let it stay in your mouth until it gets all soft and squishy and then you sorta swallow it. Very time consuming, but if you can finish a whole burger you feel like you've accomplished the greatest thing in the world.

Good luck lemming!

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so scared; I'm getting mine out in August.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yay, Mophead! let's start a club. ;]
Loneliestnumber
Neophyte
Member # 4503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loneliestnumber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my wisdom teeth taken out (cut out, they hadn't yet grown in) during Christmas break my junior year.
They used IVs instead of gas to administer whatever painkiller they used, plus novicane in my mouth. The thing was, I never went to sleep throughout the entire ordeal. I was awake yet all I could feel was them pressing and the sounds of teeth cracking. Otherwise, I was obliviously happy.
I had to walk out still woozy from the painkiller but I do remember being ticked off because people wouldn't leave me alone afterwards. I was -so- tired and all I wanted to do was sleep.
Really, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've spent many years (5th grade to now) in a dentist chair due to braces. Believe me, you'll have some discomfort for a day or so but with all the pain medication and a soft diet, rarely pain. The only bad thing, I found, was that even smelling food made me woozy and sick to my stomach.

------------------
"Never knock on Death's door. Ring the doorbell and run!"

C'mon, visit my website. You know you want to.
~Revelations.In.Black~

Posts: 38 | From: Somerset, KY, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had all four teeth out three years ago, and it all went pretty well. I honestly don't remember the procedure at all, just that the pain afterwards was mostly an ache, I didn't like opening my jaw too far, and it didn't last too long. The nastiest part was when the stitches came out in my mouth a few days afterwards (they were supposed to, but it felt icky), so it wasn't very bad at all.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover Cinderella
Neophyte
Member # 4607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover Cinderella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the dentist's this morning and I had x-rays done. Turns out I'm gonna have to get my widoms teeth pulled. I'm really happy i found this thread...I feel better already.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel better, too! You guys are great to share your stories with us.

I now have exactly a week. It's next Wednesday, at 10:20 a.m. (though hopefully I won't be too aware of anything after the Valium and Phenergan at 9:20).

The trick here is: I get to see my dear sweet Timming on August 4, for a week. (He's coming down for some friends of ours' wedding. Yay!) However, Aug. 4 just has to be after July 25. ;P

So I'm torn between anticipating his visit and being scared to death of my wisdom tooth-yanking. This is certainly the way life is supposed to be. ;]

Am I going to feel, in 10 days, back to normal to the point of being up and running around and staying up late? (And kissing? can I *kiss* in 10 days, most importantly?)

Sigh. I hadn't even thought about that one.

------------------

cheerleader01
Neophyte
Member # 3358

Icon 6 posted      Profile for cheerleader01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey its not that bad and people feel sorry for you. You can sleep as your mom cooks you soup and baked potatoes. I will say this though the stuff that they put you to sleep with made me real sick if I can give you any advice it would be drink an Ensure and eat before you go b/c you WILL get sick if you don't, well at least I did. But it won't be that bad as long as you have a good doctor. Good Luck
Posts: 17 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um. actually, I've been told that you MUST have an empty stomach before sedation and/or general anesthesia is used, and to do otherwise may cause serious injury or death.

gummy, if you're reading this, could you tell me why?

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as it turns out, an emergency cavity demands a filling on wednesday. to the dentist i go!

hmm. if i'm not mistaken, some people react badly to anæsthesia. having an empty stomach while under minimizes the risk of choking on one's vomit in the event that the patient does wretch while unconcious. it's an ugly reason, innit. if i am wrong, please correct me. but that's pretty rare. either way, show up with an empty stomach anyway.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalepsia
Neophyte
Member # 4721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalepsia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that this will make you feel any better, but here goes...
I had my 4 wisdom teeth extracted two months ago. IV sedation and a valium. I was awake the whole time and amazingly oblivious to the fact that my teeth were being crushed. I was carried out to my mom's car with my cheeks crammed with gauze. There were tiny, itchy stitches closing up my gums that were supposed to dissolve in a week. The pain was tolerable, but still there after weeks. Then I noticed a hard knot on my jaw that ached when I chewed or even talked. We went back to the surgeon and it turns out a tiny piece of food got trapped under my gums and travelled way down and caused an infection. He put me on antibiotics which upset my stomach so I couldn't take all of them. If the lump hadn't gotten better he would have had to operate all over again, slicing my gums up to get the food out.
And through all that, I actually gained weight because I laid around and ate pudding and ice cream for a while.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was simply uncalled for, catalepsia... ;/ ;P ;|

*sigh* don't worry. I'll be back at the boards as soon as possible, too.

Tomorrow's Tooth Day...send me love!

------------------

emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 8 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i went to the dentist last week, which was a crappy experience all on its own, cuz my mom finally made me switch from my pediatric dentist to a real dentist, and the hygienist was mean, and...yeah.

anyway, i found out i have to get my wisdom teeth out, preferably soon. i don't know what to do, because a few years ago i had a root canal, which was the worst experience of my life. they didn't give me any sedation or laughing gas or anything, just novacaine, so i could still feel pressure. i could feel him poking around my gums. it was AWFUL.

so now i have a fear of oral surgery. ugh.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys.

It's the-day-after, and I'm just popping in while I'm waiting for the Vicodin to kick in, to say that I survived and that I'll be back around the boards in a few days.

I don't remember a thing about the surgery itself, but bits and pieces from the recovery room:

I remember telling the nurses enthusiastically, "That was fun! Let's do it again!"

I remember thumbing my nose and waggling my fingers at the recovering patient sitting across from me.

I remember waking up at home and asking my mommy if they were done yet.

That's about it. ;]

love to all, and thanks for your encouragement,

the chipmunk-cheeked lemming

Shadowhawk
Activist
Member # 3425

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shadowhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heya lemming.

Glad to hear it went well. So you were actually under for the extraction? Lucky dog. I was supposed to be, but with the dosage they gave me I was instead just floating along in "Hey, they're ripping out my teeth! Cool!" land. (Despite being put off by the fact they were using a plant hook for an IV hangar...)

As for the chipmunk cheeks, they'll get back to normal in a few days or so. And ice packs help a lot, like someone else beat me to recommending.

Speedy recovery to you!

Posts: 80 | From: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Neophyte
Member # 18339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I found this thread and site from searching on Google for "How much does it hurt getting wisdom teeth extracted".

First off, this site seems to be catered to girls.. well, I'm actually a guy.. but it seems so nice and cozy here, maybe I'll stay a while!

Anyhow, I'm getting my 4 wisdom teeth out tomorrow, and I'm so incredibly worried. I've never had a cavity before, or any novocaine, or any type of anethetic, etc, so I have no idea what the experience will be like.

I did have braces when I was younger, so I'm used to people's hands in my mouth, but it's really the after-pain that is worrying me... I guess I'm a wimp

I'll be so glad when it's over!

------------------
Tyler Cruz

Posts: 6 | From: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler:
First off, this site seems to be catered to girls.. well, I'm actually a guy.. but it seems so nice and cozy here, maybe I'll stay a while!

It ain't, we just like peach and green and retro dingbats. There are more girls than guys around here, but we've got both male moderators and posters, and we're happy to help anyone, male or female.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

. . .Amber eyes lost deep in thought
Of why the dish ran away with the spoon.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Neophyte
Member # 18339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, that will make my "I'm a guy, ask me anything!" thread quite useless then!
Posts: 6 | From: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Yep. I already answered it, and hope I didn't sound too rude. Why don't you start a personal thread in Village People, and we'll delete that one?

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

. . .Amber eyes lost deep in thought
Of why the dish ran away with the spoon.

Miss Brella
Neophyte
Member # 19007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Brella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to find this thread since I'm getting mine taken out on the 27th of July.. I'll not be put to sleep, I'll have the laughing gas/IV thing going on...

Thanks, guys I feel more prepared now =)

Posts: 14 | From: Salisbury, MD, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAMF
Neophyte
Member # 19063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAMF         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting all four of mine out on the 23rd! I'm so nervous!!!

I've also never had any cavities filled or anything! I've never had braces! I've never had surgery of any kind! *Hides!*

My boyfriend had his out a month ago and the next day he was feeling much better. He was driving and everything! My doctor seems to think that I'll be taken out pretty badly by this. I won't be on anti-swelling agents and I swell up very easily. Also, my teeth are impacted and very sore.

WAH! If you swell easily, like, you get tapped in the lip and get a fat lip kind of "swell easily." then will it be worse for you to get your teeth out?

------------------
~Frabs! ^.^

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver1381
Activist
Member # 18771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver1381     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had all four of my impacted wisdom teeth removed last summer and the only things I found difficult about the whole procedure were trying to eat and talk after it was all over with. I was asleep the entire time, but when I got home my lips and tongue were swollen and I couldn't feel any sensation in them for hours. I couldn't eat or anything either because I was so numb and couldn't feel things in my mouth and therefore couldn't get anything down...not even my pain pill. I wasn't in too much pain though because I was still coming off of the anesthesia, but the experience wasn't pleasant. I couldn't eat soft solid foods for about a week and a half. I would stay away from really sugary soft foods because they might not agree with you too well when you have a mouthful of gauze. Jello and broth type soups worked really well for me. Hopefully things will go better for you. I know some people recover rather quickly, so with any luck maybe you'll have a speedy recovery with little pain. Good luck!
Posts: 123 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seraph393
Neophyte
Member # 14997

Icon 14 posted      Profile for seraph393     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had my wisedom teeth (all 4) CUT out. It was this past March and the day of i was scared out of my mind from all of the stories people told me of what was to happen. My mom and b/f went with me and when i went back was when the jitters started. They gassed me up and then gave me the IV, a word of advice, take in as much as you can breath in! It felt like it had been 10 minutes and the surgery was over. Then i began talking and talking about absolutely nothing-stuff like how much i loved my b/f, when i wanted to get married, and all kinds of stupid stuff!! Also, i woke up crying, which alot of people do. The next week was the worst! DON'T let the pain get worst before you take the pain killers, take them as directed even if you aren't hurting at that moment! I made this mistake and i regret it. I also got soo tired of mashed potatos i still don't eat them to this day! I do remember fondly the puffy cheeks also, my b/f ragged me for the whole week about that, i looked like a retarded chipmonk! LOL! But all in all it wasn't too bad, don't worry everything will be fine and good luck to you!!
Posts: 12 | From: Spartanburg, SC, United States | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, it's been awhile since I've posted here, but i couldn't resist talking about my wisdom teeth experience!

I got my bottom two out in April, and I was awake for the whole thing. Haha, usually when i tell people that they're like, OMG wasn't that terrible?! But actually it was an awesome experience. They just numbed up the whole area and I had my eyes closed so I didn't see the blood spraying everywhere :-P and it was over in 15 minutes. Afterwards I had minimal pain and hardly any swelling. Maybe I just had a really good surgeon, or maybe I'm just lucky. In any case, it was fun times.

Metta to all, Catherine.

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had mine taken out in January of 2002 (yeah, seems like ages ago). During the ordeal, i had my teeth area numb and all. I think i went to sleep or i just closed my eyes. I barely felt any pain of those being taken out. I had been with my BF (now fiance) for 7 months at the time. I remember i couldn't call or talk to him on the phone but i think we talked online that night. It was horrible but it only lasted for a few hours (the numbing) and i don't think i ate much food that night. But it's over and in the past. Oh by the way, i was 18 when this took place. So yeah, that's my story.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizzy1291
Neophyte
Member # 18872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizzy1291     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared about my wisdom teeth too. I can't take ANY pain. I could just get a little scratch and be in pain. I can't get a blood test without passing out or a shot without vomiting. I know I am a bit oversensitive and that I get knocked out but, what about afterwards?
Posts: 21 | From: N/a, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Brella
Neophyte
Member # 19007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Brella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had mine out this monday and the worst part is not the actual procedure, it's the recovery. The operation felt like it was over in 5 minutes, no big deal.

Only now I have rancid breath and can feel the stitches pulling on the sides of my cheeks (yes they stitched up there)

[This message has been edited by Miss Brella (edited 07-29-2004).]

Posts: 14 | From: Salisbury, MD, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.