Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » What's Wrong With the Atkins Diet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's Wrong With the Atkins Diet?
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm just exercising my brain muscles for my biochemistry final. it's on metabolism. and now i know in gory detail the downfalls of a low-carb diet.

The Atkins Diet is a low-carbohydrate fad diet that's making tons of $$$ for one Dr. Atkins who's exploiting the fact that many of you haven't taken biochemistry.

The deal is, your body relies primarily on carbohydrates to make energy (in the form of ATP). Starches are broken into glucose (in a process called glycolysis). The glucose is further broken into a smaller molecule (pyruvate). This enters the Krebs Cycle and in turn cranks out loads of ATP which keeps you running.

If you cut out carbohydrates, your body can't do glycolysis or run the Krebs Cycle. So it turns for an alternate source of energy: proteins. Yeah, your body can get energy by breaking down fats. The lack of carbohydrate intake tells your body to make glucose from the fat byproducts (acetyl-CoA). So no matter what, your body will get carbs one way or another. problem is, making the stuff yourself is a very ATP-expensive process.

In the mean time, since you can't run the Krebs Cycle, you're getting loads of acetyl-CoA from fat. The stuff starts condensing on itself and forms acetone. Nail polish remover! And it vaporizes out of your body through your breath. That's right! If you go on the Atkins Diet, sooner or later, you'll start reeking of nail polish remover.

not only that, but if you don't exercise and just cut carbs from your diet, your metabolism will be **really** retarded. In which case, when you stop the diet and go back to eating sugar and starch, it's going to go straight into fats.

woo. that's crazy stuff. that's why it's important to eat a balanced diet and exercise.

I think I know my stuff pretty well, so if anyone's got any questions about metabolism, please throw them this way so I can use my brain.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you know what's really sick about all this is that Dr. Atkins is a **doctor** with an MD. And apprently he doesn't know what I just learned in an undergradute level biochem survey class (i'm not even taking the "hard" biochem class!).

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for this Gummy. One wonders what Dr.Aktis was doing when he was supposed to be in his biochem class.

Maybe getting his first book deal already and plotting marketing plans?

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's really scary is that I am in ninth grade biology and my next test is on this stuff--you left out the transition reaction--name the twelve things that are active in it.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Gaffer, there's more than twelve. whoo. i've got a lovely full-color diagram of the pathway, though.

gahh. it's impossible to type out trees and diagrams otherwise i'll post it. maybe i'll scan it in sometime.

------------------

Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! now i know the termonology for what i always knew! My friend is on a low card diet, and she is also a vegitarian! She hardly eats anything!!!!!!! And she wonders why she has no energy but cant sleep. Sheesh.

I have never liked the no card diet. NEVER. I am big on breakfest cereals pasta (especially home made... yummy) and the low/no carb thing would be bad... very bad.

Problem is that some people are so desperate to lose weight that they would do anything, even if it does mean more adverse effects. Its sad .

You know what else is sad? I have seen health and fitness sights that say that many women should go on the low/no carb diet. Sites like Ivillage and the former OnHealth.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well sure, when your body has to use itself for nutrition, you're bound to lose weight.
Posts: 82 | From: Colorado, US | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

ryuu: yep, and you still don't make enough ATP.

etch: why not tell your friend what you heard here and give her a good explanation about what's going on with her eating habits. the part about smelling like nail polish remover should be a good turn-off.

the final is tomorrow morning, wish me luck!

------------------

Voostra
Neophyte
Member # 2049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voostra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a bunch of other things wrong with this 'diet'. Also, for one, the breakdown of long chain polysaccharides into glucose is not glycolosis, but just a hydrolysis, the breakdown of glucose to pyruvate is glycolysis. Also, the body dosen't make glucose from protein when it isn't getting any, it would just be counter productive (and we don't have the enzymology to do it), the proteins are broken down into monomers (amino acids) and deaminated - as well as some other things - but essentialy the 2 carbon backbone of the amino acids is converted into another 2 carbon molecule - pyruvate - for the body to use in the Kreb's cycle. ditto for fats, just a bit different in the steps taken - but they enter mostly as 2 carbon pyruvate. Since energy retention in molecules when they are changed in the body is not 100%, we loose energy when we change things around. Thus, we get more energy out if we go straight protein -> pyruvate, than going protein -> pyruvate -> glucose -> pyruvate.

The really bad things is that when your body breaks down these proteins - and initially glycogen (a polysaccharide in your body), there is a whole lot of water (3 - 4 times the weight) that is associated with these molecules, that is also lost. this results in an initial large weight loss due to the water loss - you just excrete it. After you break off the diet, these molecules are all reformed - often more of them even - and then water is retained again, and your weight bounces up to even higher than it was before. You can kind of think of protein and glycogen as sponges. First your body destroys them, and squeezes all the extra water out of you, and you loose wieght. Then you make them again, and they soak up the water again, and you gain the weight back. Often why this diet is called the rhythm method of girth control. I think we need a way to unmake people doctors - cuz Dr. Atkins is just a quack..

[This message has been edited by Voostra (edited 05-10-2001).]

Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

narf you're right. i was thinking glycogenolysis. but glycolysis breaks glucose into pyruvate which goes to krebs. my bad bad bad.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

but fats go in as acetyl-CoA which is formed after pyruvate (which is 3C) is decarboxylated (by, not surprisingly, pyruvate decarboxylase).

and why the heck did i say proteins up there? i meant fats dangit! oi so burned out. i want to get this test over with!!! anyway, th fats are broken down into twos (beta-oxidation) to yield truckloads of acetyl-CoA.

as for those amino acids, they can be converted to oxaloacetate and then converted to PEP to go to gluconeogenesis (make glocuse). that's a pretty expensive process, on top of the already expensive gluconeogenesis.

anyway, the longer i keep up this thread, the more info i will regurgitate and the more i'll know for the test. twenty-four hours from now, i'll be midway thru the thing. must stay sharp. must stay sharp.

------------------

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck for your final, Gummy.

And re: who advocates this diet: hey, lots and lots of docs (and patients associations) recommend a low carb diet (if not as drastic as Atkins) to PCOS patients like me. Wonder where they all were during biochem.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLover
Neophyte
Member # 3694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just wanna say, it worked ok for me for some time, i don't use it anymore just cuz it wasn't my personal fave, but i don't see whats so terrible about it.
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Gumdrop! I'm sure you'll do really well on the final. Hmm...I'd been trying to explain this to people this for a while now, and many of the listeners didn't seem to consider biology a sound basis for getting off a diet. Oh well...I'm sticking with my pasta, anyway
Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
US Teen Dies After Following High-Protein Diet

i'm looking over my old post and kicking my own arse for messing up some of the terminology. too many words starting with "gluc" and "glyc."

i did ace that final though and came out with a decent grade.

anyway, read the above link, and consider it a warning as to why you shouldn't go on fad diets and why you should never diet without first consulting your doctor.

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

<Just fixed the link >

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 10-31-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 10-31-2002).]

thisonecanbe
Activist
Member # 10445

Icon 14 posted      Profile for thisonecanbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone IS referring to this post- thinking it was about losing weight with the diet- a fabulous diet program is DietPower (http://www.dietpower.com/)... It not only keeps track of your calories with a large food database, it also keeps track of your nutrients and lets you know what percent of your daily value you've eaten. It's great. But furthermore, if you don't love your body now, then what makes you think you're going to love your body when it is thin?

hey, that's cool and all, but we're not big on dieting here because a vast number of the ppl who in the past have asked for weight loss advice were the ones who didn't need to. moreover, we can't endorse weight loss for people who haven't been instructed to do so by their doctors. the point of the story is that the girl who died probably did not consult her doctor before trying a new det regimen, thngs went wrong and she died. i'd hate for that to happen to any of you out there. so, don't start any new diet or exercise regimen without first consulting a physician ~gg

------------------
...i've done all i can do; could i please come with you?

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 10-31-2002).]

Posts: 63 | From: nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caramel Apple Pop
Activist
Member # 8475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caramel Apple Pop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom is on the Atkins Diet.

She is on the newer version, where you don't cut out carbs completley. You can have 30 grams a day, for the first 3 weeks, then after that every week you can add back 10 grams each week. You also never go off the diet. It's a life style change, and so far its worked wonders for my mom. She has been on it for 3 months and has lost 21 pounds.

------------------
If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all ok... And not to worry because worry is wasteful
and useless in times like these... I will not be made useless I won't be idled with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
for light does the darkness most fear

Beth

Posts: 98 | From: A world of wonder, where war never disturbes peace, and the sun never gets consumed by the shadows... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_1ofakind
Activist
Member # 3215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_1ofakind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on basically the same diet 3 years ago. I cut out all carbs and could only eat certain foods. I lost 50lbs in 2 months, which is REALLY not healthy. I really didn't realize at the time what harm I was doing to my body. I have gained 20 lbs since I got off the diet and I have no problem with that. I would never do it again though, you guys made me realize what I did to my own body.
Posts: 61 | From: Mayfield, Ky | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnyside
Neophyte
Member # 10702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyside     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, I recently read an article in the Houston Chronicle that doctors can't find anything wrong with the Adkins Diet. I still don't know if I'd trust it, but maybe it's safe.
Posts: 18 | From: texas. boy howdy. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, sunnyside, I read that article (it was on the wires). They did explicitly state that they do not yet know about the long-term safety of the Atkins diet, and given the way it works, I can safely say that it is NOT a good idea, especially for teens and young adults.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Apple Pop:
My mom is on the Atkins Diet.

She is on the newer version, where you don't cut out carbs completley. You can have 30 grams a day, for the first 3 weeks, then after that every week you can add back 10 grams each week. You also never go off the diet. It's a life style change, and so far its worked wonders for my mom. She has been on it for 3 months and has lost 21 pounds.

i'm thinking that any diet that cuts out a certain component, whether completely or to a good degree isn't very healthy. they didn't really make up the food guide for kicks. maybe eating very small amounts of carbs helps take off pounds, but eating healthy is alot better in the long run. It also is alot more restricting.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Furthermore, on the basis of current knowledge, as a large number of doctors and nutritionists have pointed out:

Eating a diet that's high in saturated fat and low in fruit and vegetables (like, say, the Atkins diet) is a pretty sure-fire way of greatly increasing your long-term risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and other fun stuff.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.