Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Toronto, CA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toronto, CA
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering, does anyone here live in Toronto or anywhere near it. I'm hoping to move there someday and I would like to hear from first-hand experience what it's like. Also: what are the colleges like?
Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm gonna assume you mean Toronto, Canada. If not, you can ignore this message [Razz]

I've never lived in Toronto, but I've visited many times and live a few hours away.

It's a really big city, and I've always had a lot of fun there. The shopping is awesome, and there's something for everyone to do. There's a good subway system to get around, as well as buses.

The University of Toronto is the big one there, and it's in the downtown core. It's a beautiful campus, with lots of rez options. It has a very good reputation, and is ranked 1st in Canada I believe. U of T has an extremely good research library, apparently only coming after Yale and Harvard. I applied there after high school, and was really impressed when I did the tour/orientation. I ended up choosing to stay in my hometown though. The university here offered the specific program I wanted (I ended up hating it, but that's another story).

There's a few other universities and several colleges. You can get more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Toronto

Hope this helps. I can try to give you more details if you want. [Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you could give me some more details that would be very helpful! I've been thinking about relocating there for college and to create a permanant residence. Any information of places, perople, colleges, etc, would be great. Thanks!
Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willowy Girl
Neophyte
Member # 32593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Willowy Girl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are 5 universities in the GTA (greater Toronto area): York University, The University of Toronto, Ryerson University, the Ontario College of Art and Design and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology.

You can read a bit more about them here:
T.O. Info

I live in a suburb but spend time downtown every couple weeks. It's a great city for the arts (and boasts a really low crime rate compared to U.S. cities) but chronically under-funded. Such a huge topic though!

You might want to check out The Toronto Star online to get an idea of what it's like here on a day to day basis. There's also this blog that covers Toronto life and happenings.

Posts: 20 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yourillusion
Neophyte
Member # 36111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yourillusion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have lived in the GTA for 19 years. I used to hate it SO MUCH! I always thought it was very dirty, and the people extremely sketchy! I was always scared to go out in fear of dying or getting shanked.

Yeah I was paranoid. Recently, I have moved to Thunder Bay for school, and it made me realize how awesome toronto really is!

It is so culturally diverse, and the people are no where near weird... they are unique. And yes, a tad dirty... but there is always something to do!

Oh and don't forget, it's usually a number one stop for great bands (I.E. BON JOVI). And many aspiring bands as well. You can hit an underground show like every weekend, and find a totally amazing band!

You will love it. Promie.

--------------------
[center]Don't disguise your emptiness
By placing blame on me and everyone else
Protected by your safety nets
But you can't put the heart of your fears at rest
All I feel is deep regret for what you have become
[/center]

Posts: 3 | From: Ontario | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.