Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Am I justified in being upset?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I justified in being upset?
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the skinny..

I was running around with my mom today helping make funeral arrangements for her brother. We got a call at my grandma's house from my older sister, who explained that I got called for a job interview later that afternoon.

However, she told the interviewer that I wasn't around and couldn't be contacted, but that she had put in an application there, too, and never got called (she actually didn't). Thus manipulating the interviewer into asking her to come down instead. We ended up cutting things short there to pick her up.. and I had to sit and watch as she went in. She explained that she thought it would be okay since I've so far gotten three job interview calls, and she's only gotten one. I have an offer that looks really good, but I explained to the family very early on that I want to keep my options open until I'm actually, officially hired.

Am I right to be highly offended and out-and-out pissed? I haven't said a word to her about it, I don't quite know how. Any tactful way to bring about the overall crapiness of what she did, or am I over-reacting? I mean, she snagged an interview off MY personality traits and qualifications.

(Edit: Wow, I totally posted this in the butt-wrong area. Sorry about that. Feel free to move!)

[ 09-14-2006, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'd be pretty peeved, myself. Putting aside issues that she's glommed an interview thanks to your *your* resume and hard work, she also lied to the interviewer that you a) weren't available and b) she had submitted an application. Lying to your potential employer isn't exactly the best way to get off on a good foot, you know? Especially since (in my experience) employers want to have a copy of your resume when they interview you - what is going to happen when they can't find hers?

If you bring it up, I'd just mention that you were pretty hurt that she lied to you and a potential employer since job hunting is hard and thankless work. However, while I think you definitely have a right to be angry, I wouldn't put too much stock in talking with your sister being too productive if she didn't before even doing this that it was wrong.

Eesh, I actually read this and sat there for a few minutes saying to myself, "Who DOES that?" Hugs to you, Lauren!

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not peeved about the job offer itself-- it turns out it was a position at a bakery with the hours of something along the lines of 5 PM-1 AM. Yikes!

I guess I just felt more irked that folks around here don't know the polite way to handle buisness calls, not to mention respect the fact that they're for me and only me. I suppose a viable solution would be to re-activate my cell phone once I actually have the money (a job being needed for that) to pay for it.

I tried to come up with ways to address it, but I just couldn't. I figure you're right; no amount of common sense can be beaten into her if she didn't know right off the bat that wasn't cool. Thanks for the consolation. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
biblacknproud87
Neophyte
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biblacknproud87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the job doesn't sound like the greatest, but it's the principals of her actions that is really, to be blunt, grimy. As far as approaching her, I'm not too good at randomly approaching people, so...plus it's late, so I'm not in the thinking mood...maybe I'll have some ideas tomorrow...

--------------------
I'm lovely
I'm beautiful
I love myself
I need me
Before I need anyone else

Posts: 35 | From: New York...New Brunswick, New Jersey when I'm in school | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.