Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » transferring colleges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: transferring colleges
tofutticutie
Activist
Member # 14673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tofutticutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not sure if this goes here, or if you guys even answer stuff like this...
but i recently transferred from a university in my hometown because i thought i needed to get out and go somewhere else. i was there for a year, and now i'm a sophomore at a new school. thing is, i kind of hate the new school. it's just not working out for me and i am really wanting to be back at the old one.
my question is, what would you do in this situation?
do you think it would be a bad idea to transfer back? i will lose some credit again, i guess. do you think it would be better to just stay in one place and stick with it? i feel flakey and kind of like a failure wanting to go back when i was so gung-ho about getting out. i dont know. what do you guys think? ever been in a situation like this?

Posts: 51 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,

I think you REALLY need to weigh the pros and cons here.

Have you talked to an academic advisor at your college? Do you know exactly how many credits you'll lose and how far this bumps your grad date back?

What were you running from when you left your univ the first time? Do you think the situation you left is going to be any better when you return?

Overall, i think if you're seriously unhappy, and you really don't want to stay where you are, then go back home.

The thing is, none of us can make this decision for you ... And it's hard to even say what WE'D do, b/c we're missing so much information here (ie, what is it that's making you so unhappy?)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tofutticutie
Activist
Member # 14673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tofutticutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your comment.

No, i haven't talked to my advisor yet about how much it would set me back... but i'm guessing that since i was at the previous college for a year, and only plan to be here for a semester, it wouldn't really matter since i'd be getting back the credit from my first year of college, and i've already lost some credit from there by coming here. i would get credit back, and maybe lose some from here, but i'm sure it would be comparable.

I wasn't running from anything. I was trying to broaden my horizons and get away from home. i was happy there, but thought "if i dont try it, i'll always wonder what it would be like to go to college away from home"

There are a number of things that i dont like about this college. i'm not being challenged in my classes as much as i'd like. they don't have an honors program, and this is a really easy school to get into. it's too small (800 students) and it's mostly the same group of people (neo-hippie/alternative lifestyle types) and while i appreciate that a lot, i would rather see more variety. Also, the campus is very secluded and rural, so there's not much opportunity to get away from it.

Posts: 51 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, transferring. I'm a transfer student too. :-)

DEFINITELY talk to an academic advisor to get your credits straightened out; especially if you're set on graduating by a certain date.

Take a good look at your old school - was the only thing about it that bothered you the lack of experiencing other places? Try investigating a study elsewhere/abroad or exchange program. You could do a semester or a whole year at another school, yet still come back to your home college. There could be summer programs too. I did my whole first year through a program that allowed me to study abroad for a year while still earning credits from a university at home in Canada (which also made it easier for me to transfer them when I decided I didn't want to go back to that school, heh). You've just gotta find them!

Good luck, I hope you find what makes you happy. :-)

Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.