Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » exam stress anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: exam stress anyone?
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we all go through it at some point in our lives. And we all deal with it differently. Heck we even STUDY differently!. I find myself unable to stay awake during daytime to study. It's like I open a book and I dream about how nice and warm my bed is!. But during night time I can stay awake for HOURS on end. So what I do now is sleep all day and work all night. And I cant do group studies either. I prefer to do my own thing. Music also helps. It's either classical music (beethoven or tchaikovsky) or heavy metal (manson anyone?)..Extremes, I know.

The other thing about exams tha I really hate is the post-mortem after the paper. WHY do people bother standing around after a paper to discuss what they wrote?!. It's too late to do anything about it, and it's only going to make you feel bad when you find out what a mutt you were to write "beta galactosidase instead of beta lactamase" (been there done that..felt like killing the idiot who informed me what the correct answer was!). I've started walking out with earphones on after exams to avoid this, but inevitably I find out sooner or later the mistakes I make!.

Then the other aspect is the fact that some people are so insecure that they feel the need to compete. There is this one [not-so-nice-little-lady] on my course, and she is "supposedly friends" (yeah its one of those fake parasitic friendships where we just stick around to use each other...sad, I know). I HATE competition!.

And the awful sinking feeling at the pit of your stomach when you are looking at the noticeboard and trying deperately to read your results!. ARGH!. The noises around you fade..girls screaming about how they cant belieeeeve they got 90%, guys going "aw man..what the [foo-diddy]?!". I dont even want to imagine it!.

And as to the reason why I am wasting time writting all this on this post instead of studying...well..good question..I'll be sure to blame scarleteen if I fail my exams! (just kidding)!.

So share your thoughts about this. DO we really need exams anyway?. Is it an invention designed purely by sadistical people who want to torture us?. Isnt continuous assesment better?. Is assessment by coursework more practical as you get to measure a student's abilities without the stress of exam conditions?. Maybe they would perform better and thus you get a more realistic idea about their capabilities?. Because face it, the only time we face exam conditions in real life ARE at exams right?. And some people perform really good in class but become a bundle of nerves when faced with exams!. And I am rambling and ranting once again, so I shall stop, please do share your thoughts!

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

[edited for language. again. please don't be doin' that. thanks.]

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 05-28-2003).]

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who likes those pesky exams. They used to keep me up all night, get me all worried, and then piss me off later when I failed to gain a perfect score. It was a never-ending cycle of ridiculousness.

But the downside is that it never really stops. I know the popular line of thinking is that "we're only tested when we're in school," but I've been pretty darned dismayed to find that it keeps going forever. It's just not stuff we're graded on. Later you'll be tested on things that you may need for work, and the consequences of failure are more severe. Rather than getting a poor grade, you get demoted or fired. Not cool.

So yeah, I'll join in your moaning and groaning about how awful exams can be. But I don't want you to think that they'll just suddenly disappear when school is over. That would just be too good to be true.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...not too encouraging!. Yeah true what you say. I guess this is the first step towards realising the deeper stuff about exams and how to handle the other aspects such as the competition, the stress, the nerves Vs the actual questions!.
I dont know if it's just me, but lately, it seems like I do so little work!. I look back on my GCSE's and I marvel at how much I revised for it. I started revising THREE months before!. And now, I'm in my first year at Uni and I'll be GOOD if i start revising with just a month to go!. And that is NOT good because the work only gets harder. And the pressure factor is so much more when you're older (self pressure> thankfully my parents aren't the type to scream "dont come home unless you get all As!".)
What ALWAYS happens (this is so invariable) is that I wish I could do my daily work so that I dont fly into a panic before exams. I always keep telling myself after I emerge from a particularly traumatic exam that I will always dilligently write out my notes on the same day, not sleep during lectures etc, but it never happens!. Is it just me?. Because most of the other students on my course seem to work SO hard. And they get good results too. I just manage fairly okay results but I always know that I can do better if I work as hard as them. And I know I'm capable of that hard work too because I HAVE done it before. So whats the block?. Is my course full of geeks, or is this "normal" student life?

thanks for hearing me vent all this by the way. And I;m really sorry about the swearing, wont happen again.

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 14 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by retarded_brat:
thanks for hearing me vent all this by the way. And I;m really sorry about the swearing, wont happen again.

Hey, no problem, friend! I like swear words as much as anyone, it's just that here we like to run a classy operation. Nothin' personal at all. Apology accepted and appreciated.

------------------

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Today I got back a lab report I had submitted two weeks back. I managed to score 89 (yaay!). I met the aforementioned "not-so-nice" person online and I told her that the lab reports were back (she was my lab partner). The lab reports were all inside this big cardboard box outside the department office so basically you just pick up your own and walk off. I told her the reports were back and she said "I know". I then asked how she did and she says "not as good as you!, you got BRILLIANT marks I wish I got those" etc.

Okay. There is no legal LAW saying you can't flick through someone else's reports to check their marks, but isnt this a really LOW thing to do?!. And I HATE it because it's MY hard work and I should be the first to know!. I'm not the kind to hide or lie about my marks, but heck, I want to be atleast given the CHOICE to do that!. If I tell her how uncomfortable this makes me, she would only do it on the SLY, and I'd rather KNOW she does it than have her pretend not to do it but still do it. I feel so helpless because I so badly want to tell the &@$@ing %&$^$ off!. And I CANT!. My hands are tied. And I have to accept this and learn not to care. But GRRRRR I so hate her for things like this!!!

Ok I feel a little less murderous now. Typing about it helps!. Thanks for listening to me and shaking your head and smiling to yourself about this . I also managed not to swear!. yay!

------------------

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

I hate one of my flatmates. She has a very loud very creaky door. All of us have told her several times to just OIL the %$#^#ing thing, but she never has. She is one of the most manipulative, self serving, arrogant hypocritical, two faced #&%#ed up people I know.

So today, I just took HER oil bottle, knocked on her door and told her "If you're not going to oil it, I will, because it's driving me nuts, I'm already on the edge as it is, I dont want to kill anyone or go on a shooting spree". Then she was like "ohhh...does it make that much noise?". I said "yeah..and either you fix it now, or I will". Then she said she would do it. So i left the oil bottle in the middle of her room and walked out. If she doesnt fix it by this evening I swear I'm going to throw her bloody oil bottle at the door at 3am when she's asleep.
WHY are people so inconsiderate?!. If it were MY door, she would be the first person to smile sweetly at me and ask me to fix it. Why the double standards?. I hate people. I've become so cynical of everyone, is it a wonder living with people like this?. My other housemates have been telling her this for WEEKS (of course they didnt have the guts to go leave the oil in the middle of her room, neither did they say it as forcefully as me...yaay! )
Needed to vent. Please dont think I need therapy or anger management. I'm just a normal human being trying to live in this crazy world and trying my best to treat others the way I would like to be treated and getting really pissed when it DOESNT happen that way and I'm just made use of. GRRRR!!!

------------------

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by retarded_brat:
I'm just a normal human being trying to live in this crazy world and trying my best to treat others the way I would like to be treated and getting really pissed when it DOESNT happen that way and I'm just made use of.

Hey, that's cool enough...but getting yourself worked up won't do you much good, will it?

Honestly, I know we all have things that really drive us up the wall, but we've all gotta try and get better about letting things go. Like water off a duck's back, some of the smaller things in life could probably be ignored, and that would make things a lot easier.

You seem to have done the right thing by oiling the door yourself, but I'll bet you could have done it without getting so near your explosion point. I don't think you need therapy or anything, but taking life easy and letting some of the small stuff roll might be just the ticket to happiness.

------------------

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

True I hear you. No I dont think we could have gotten her to oil the door any other way because we've been asking her for WEEKS (nicely at that!) and she just agrees to do it but never bothers. If it were MY door that were creaking, she'd be the first to kick up a fuss about it. I hate double standards. Thankfully I have only 14 days more of her to put up with.

I know, I should learn to let go of the little things. I sometimes worry I'm a perfectionist. I think this happens only when I'm under stress though. The smallest things bug me. Was watching an old black-n-white space invasion kinda movie (I forget the name) with some friends and I got quite annoyed when the alien said "the universe is getting smaller and smaller". How wrong is that????!. Galaxies and stars are racing away from each other at millions of miles per second!. The Universe is EXPANDING!!!. (ok i'll shut up!)

Only 13 days more for exams to finish. I keep telling that to myself, like a life support line. But then I remember, only 6 days more for exams to START. And the lifeline magically dissolves in my hands. OMG. SIX days only!.

I know I sound like a kid and I should seriously grow up. I should also stop whining and start getting back to my revision. It's so hard. I manage to find anything and everything ELSE interesting. My room is like a playground, I find the walls fascinating. I find the ceiling fascinating. Anything except my books!.

------------------

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Exams are inching closer. I start my torture on the 6th, its lasting one week. I see my life flashing before my eyes. I wish I could be as confident about it as some people can be. I'm just a bundle of nerves. Or I get hysterical which is worse. I start laughing at the silliest things. Right now I'm in a dont-carish mood. I've accepted my fate and resigned to it. I'm just counting the days till the exams are over and hoping I pass so that I dont have to come back early to do my re-sits in Sept, without being able to enjoy the full 3.5 months of BLISS that I deserve.

See you on the other side!

------------------

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

I had my first exam today. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, I think it could have been a lot worse. Just hope I pass. Extreme sleep depreviation is so BAD, I'm feelings its effects now, because I've only had 6 hrs sleep for the past 2 days!!!...
I cant wait till next friday to finish my exams!!!

------------------

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Yaaaay. 2 down, 2 to do. I got Biochem today, THE most dreaded paper of them all. I've been pulling my hair out over this paper for so long!. I have miserably given up all hope of being able to calculate the redox potentials of the electron transport chain, I'm just hoping and praying that I get the little bits of other stuff that I DID study for!. Sometimes exams are such fatalistic things. I hate the thought of our futures being pre-determined and us having no control of it, but IF I get any of the stuff I did revise for, it HAS to be luck!.

So yeah, me is walking in with earphones (to avoid hearing people before the exam asking each other last minute "omg do you know how to.....???!!!".) I am also going to walk out of the hall after the exam with my earphones on to prevent myself from hearing people say "hey!, wasnt that a nice paper?...what did you write?"..

3 more days for exams to finish. It seems a lifetime away!. 6 more days till I can fly home and see my friends and family!!! ( I haven't seen them since september!! ).

Anyway, I'll quit bitching and go try and do some last minute cramming..wish me luck:P!!

------------------

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I failed it. . And no I am NOT being overly dramatic!. Just hoping and praying that I scrape through somehow so that I wont have to come back early in Sept to do the re-sits!. I hate Biochem so much!!!!!!!. Life is so depressing. I should get over this and start revising for Genetics on Friday, but for the life of me everything else around me seems sooooo much more interesting than my lecture notes!

------------------

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

WOOOHOOOO ITS FINALLY OVERRRRR!!!...
I am so relieved!. I feel numb!. I'm so hyper!

------------------

blue_gal
Neophyte
Member # 12550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe yeah, woo hoo baby ive finally finished college!!! I know exactly how you feel brat!!!!! I finished my exams yesterday and i fly out to the USA on tues

~Blue_gal

Posts: 35 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Awesome!...I am totally enjoying myself doing absolutely nothing at all .!!

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.