Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Darkie's Corner (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Darkie's Corner
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My itinerary for Italy is finalized.

I'll be spending two days in Milan, the bulk of the time in Arezzo, a day in Florence, and then back to Milan. The layover is in New Jersey, so that's a bit exciting. I've never been to the east coast.

We were actually busy at work today. It's been very slow for the last two quarters. I'm still looking for a new job, but they keep telling me I need experience. I fail to see how I can get said experience without being hired, but I digress. At least I can pay my bills, if nothing else.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooooh, Florence! I loved Florence. All the art galleries, and the duomo....sigh. You mentioned a couple posts up that you'll be performing? That's cool - what exactly are you performing?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DarkChild - when are you going to be in Milan? My parents live there, and I'll be going home for a while in the summer. I could give you a free tour of Milan. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be in Milan the 23rd and 24th of June.

I'm so totally stoked about this trip. I've been attempting to get to Europe for a couple years now, and it's finally within reach.

I'm performing at the Arezzo Festival, which is sponsored by the City of Arezzo as well as the Accademia dell'Arte. There are performers from Ireland, Germany, Slovenia, Poland, as well as California and New York. And little ole' Bothell. You can find us on the Website.

I'm part of the OmniBus project, which is an original work. The challenge is there's very little talking, as required by the festival organizers.

Hey, September--do you have any suggestions of where I should go, and what I should see in Milan? I've got the Duomo and the S. Marie delle Grazie on my list, but anything else?

--------------------
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, I don't even start my break until the end of July. But hey, this way you can still walk around the city without melting. It gets hot in August.

Anyway. Sights. Duomo is, of course, the important one. Make sure you go on top of the cathedral, too. You can take the elevator up there and walk around and it's so awesome. You get a nice view, but what's even better, there is so much to see up there as far as the architecture of the cathedral itself goes.

And while you're on Piazza Duomo, you should walk around the galleria for a bit. There's a bull-like animal in mosaic on the ground and if you put your heel on the ... um ... privates of that bull and turn around three times, you'll have good luck.

And Parco Sempione/Castello Sforzesca. There's a museum in the castello, too, but even just walking through the courtyard of the castle is a pretty neat experience.

If you want to shop, don't do that on Corse Vittorio Emanuelle. It's tempting, but not worth it. You'll only spend a fortune. There's a street not far from there, Corse Buenos Aires, that's got pretty cool stores with far more acceptable prices. Sames goes for food. Never eat in the tourist-y areas. Just turn into some side street and you'll get food that's just as good -if not better- and affordable.

Aaah, yes, I love that city. If I think of anything else, I'll come back later.

Oh, also, if you want to go to Santa Maria della Grazie, you have to call ahead of time and make reservations. They only let in a certain amount of people at a time, and you have to go through tons of security and then you can only stay to look at the painting for 15 minutes before you have to make room for the next group.

[ 06-07-2006, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Oh, you have no idea how helpful that is.

Out of curiosity, what is the camera policy in the gallerias?

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

The galleria is just sort of like a mall, except with better architecture. Not that you'd be able to buy anything there - unless you're into Prada. But you can take pictures there. You can also take pictures in Duomo (at least my friend took pics when he was visiting and no one stopped him), but not at the museums and definitely not at Santa Maria della Grazie.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

I'm back!

Italy was amazing. Simply amazing. September, thanks much for all your recommendations. I didn't see everything I set out for, but I got what I needed.

The Duomo in Milan was amazing! I was moved to tears.

We spent most of our time in Arezzo, and I'd move there if given the chance. The atmosphere was amazing, the people were great, and the performances were wonderful.

I wasn't so fond of Florence. After 8 days in Arezzo, it was too touristy for me. But I did see Michaelangelo's David. I was happy about that.

So, I'm home, safe, and ready to start the rest of my life. [Smile]

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Well. I suppose it's time for some update.

I got home from Italy, and my boyfriend proposed. Happy fourth of July to me! So I'm excited there.

Today, I interviewed for a house-sitting gig. It'll be fun! It's essentially babysitting an adorable puppy.

On the way home from said interview, my car died. So now on top of every other bill I have, I've got to find a new car. This is because Seattle and the surrounding areas have really crappy public transportation. I work 10 minutes away from my house. It'd take over an hour by bus. It's really quite silly.

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

I suppose it's time now for an update into Darkie's life.

I've got a car lined up, a job interview lined up, a part time gig starting in a week...and I'm in a money hole. I have things I need (really, really want) and bills to pay;

On the happy end of things, I've got a great volunteer gig happening on Friday, with Lego. This makes me very happy.

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Today's turned out to be a really, really tough day.

We made the decision to put my cat down. She's 13, isn't eating, and has lost bladder/bowel control. So, it's time for her.

May 4, 1993 to September 13, 2006.

She the cat I've had the longest. I was 8 when I brought her home from the pet store. I'll miss her.

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cripes, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd be distraught if my cat died. What was her name?

Crazy, but loss of beloved pets actually can feel worse on me than death of people I'm not particularly close to.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hugs* Darkie. So sorry to hear about your cat - losing a pet is so hard.

[ 09-13-2006, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

*BIG HUGS*

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Her name was Shadow II. I got Shadow when I was 8, but she had feline luekemia, so she was put down. The man at the pet store felt really bad about selling an 8-year old a sick kitty, so he gave me a new kitten, hence Shadow II.

Two litters of kittens and more than a decade later, I'm back to a one-cat household. We kept a kitten from each litter. Buger still is alive and kicking. He's asleep on my bed now. Dipstick was eventually given to a better home, as she kept getting pregnant while nursing. We kept one of her kittens, who later met an unknown fate and never came home.

But Buger's still here. He'll be spoiled even more so than he already is.

And I'm starting to ramble a bit.

--------------------

oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been away for a while, so I'm trying to catch up and see how things are going.

Congrats on the engagement!

Sorry to hear about your cat. Loosing a pet IS hard. My mom's miniature doberman got hit by a car while dragging a toy from my grandmother's to my mother's. She's had him since he was 2 weeks old. He was a runt and she had to bottle feed it. He was 11 years old. Everytime I would bring someone to the house, especially if I was trying to sneak someone in (or better yet, when I was sneaking in or out [Wink] )the dog would bark. He was such an ankle biter. I really didn't like that dog at all, but when my dad called me instantly and told me what happened, tears filled my eyes. It was sad!

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Thanks, Lea!

Starting tomorrow, life's getting really, really freaking hectic. I start my new job (whoo!) and begin house-sitting in Redmond (whoo?). And plus, NorthwestBrickCon is next weekend, and I have 3 days (maybe 6 hours total, tops) to finish my piece.

And I'm starting a new job. So, nerves? Yep! I am going to get a crash course in figuring out how to sleep and balance my life.

[ 10-01-2006, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: DarkChild717 ]

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Job's going great! I love going to work, and I'm excited about the future prospects.

My house-sitting gig is up tomorrow, and it's bitter sweet. I'm so done with this puppy (he's worse than a 2 year old. A 2 year old eventually naps!) but I'll miss the 20 minute morning commute and half-hour commute home. My commute becomes an hour, at least, both ways.

Ah, well. Such is life.

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

There are some things in life which are difficult. There are some that are next to impossible.

As I may or may not have mentioned, I tutor English online. For the most part, this is rather rewarding. For the most part, I pride myself in being able to truly help the students become better writers.

The topics are usually mild. I get a lot of compare and contrast, narrative, and the occasional opinion piece. The topics cover everything under the sun.

Then I get the ones that I wish I didn't get. I just finished an essay that asserts that parents need to teach their children right from wrong. Okay, sure, great thesis. I can handle that.

Until I got to the evidence. Good god. I've only felt this deep felt, harrowing, adrenaline pumping, righteous anger once before, and that was an essay on abortion where the student went from pro-choice to pro-life (I will say it was well written).

This one asserted first that schools handing out condoms promote promiscuity. Well, no. They don't. The finished this bit of gold asserting that everyone should wait for marriage. They were dead serious. I left my computer to rant to my mother for five minutes.

The next whammy was ENCOURAGING, ASKING for book censorship. If anything, past sex education, the censorship of books is my biggest pet peeve. Judy Blume is my hero.

I'm a good tutor--I didn't ask about content. I avoided it. I might, had I not been employed by a very large corporation who is paying my bills, have tried to gently encourage them to look elsewhere for sex ed statistics other than The National Campaign to Prevent Teenage Pregnancy.

Thank GOD my last essay is on Robert Frost.

--------------------

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes!!

I'd have been all over that ... I did a lot of research in school and, of course, it was more about what you were saying than how you were saying it (for the most part). If you weren't getting non-biased, evidence based information, you were toast. Fail. Fail, fail, fail. W/ a capital 'F'.

Sorry you had to read that stuff. It would've pissed me off too, i'm sure, but i doubt i'd have been able to hold my tongue [Razz]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Well!

I'm now officially out of training at work, and I have completed my first week on the floor. So far, I've managed to have the best call time in my team (Only 10 seconds below the goal) and perhaps make a few "political" enemies. [Roll Eyes]

I was pulled off the phones during training, so I could help answer questions for my training class. This was so another person could get more experience on the phones, as we had a shortage of working computers. She was not happy that she had to actually work.

Anyway!

I'm enjoying this. Call volume is low, so I have time to sketch between phone calls. Tomorrow should be slow, too.

I get travel discounts up the wazzu, too. My company owns at least 10 major hotel chains, plus the offer discounts on just about everything under the sun. They even offer pet care insurance.

So, it's exciting. I've got another 6 weeks until my 90 days are up, and then I get a raise, too.

Hopefully tomorrow I go apartment hunting, too, so life is finally moving in a forward direction.

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you, Darkie! Glad the job's panning out, and you're taking the all-important steps towards independance. [Smile]
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Dude! So excited, here.

So, I'm a huge fan of Josh Groban. He's released a new CD (which so totally rocks). He's also touring.

Bad thing: He's not coming to the Evergreen State. Yet.

Good thing:. He's going to the MGM Grand in Vegas. And I've got my ticket.

I'm so totally stoked! So far, it looks like I'm going it alone, but my sister-in-law might join me. She's a fan too, but she might be going to Europe. Decisions, decisions.

On the job front, etc, apartment hunting should be Sunday. Hopefully. It keeps getting pushed back. That's okay, though.

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Heh. Washington is currently covered an a layer of ice.

I never made it home last night...I stayed at my brother's house and came home today. They've closed my office...My supervisor was a bit pissed that they kept us there so long. After 2 1/2 hours, we barely had left the city I work in.

I'm home, I'm safe, and I'm not getting back in that car for a while. At least I have Wednesday off, too. [Smile]

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

For those of you who sat through American Idol tonight, I'd like to make it known widely that while Seattle is unique and talented, that was NOT a good sampling of what we had to offer.

(And Blake hasn't changed in 4 years, and Sinjaya was an adorable 5th grader. [Wink] )

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Today was an awesome, awesome day.

It was my birthday! Whoooooooooooot!

A coworker brought me some flowers, and my supervisor gave me great news about my performance. My mom found a DELICIOUS gluten-free cake, and got some strawberries that are by far the best I've ever had.

All my calls went smoothly, and life has just generally been great today. [Smile]

Go me!

(I turned 22 today. )

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Happy birthday, Darkie! Glad it went well. [Smile]
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Happy birthday! Glad you had such an awesome day. [Smile] (And wow, you've just turned 22? I had no idea you were younger than me!)

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Yep! Totally younger. [Big Grin]

Well. It's snowing, again. I love the snow when I don't have to drive in it. I've got 7 inches, at least, and I can't get out of my driveway. In fact, my car is in my neighbor's driveway. [Smile]

I applied for a promotion at work, so we'll see how it goes. It should have been announced today, so we'll see tomorrow. If I make it tomorrow.

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Aaaaaaaaand I still can't make it out of my driveway. I did, though, get my car back into MY driveway, as opposed to my neighbor's driveway.

We'll try again in a few hours and see how that goes.

--------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Huh. I did end up making it to work that day.

Even better? I got that promotion. [Big Grin]

To top it all off, I bought my first mine-all-mine car today. [Smile]

A gorgeous, dark red Volkswagen Jetta. [Big Grin] I'm so totally, totally stoked about that.

So that's what's going on in my life!

--------------------

Selkie
Activist
Member # 33078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Selkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo, congrats on getting a promotion, thoes are always good! (unless your promoted to the post of catbert: evil human recourses directer) Also, very nice on getting a new car, just don't damage it going 90 on the highway [Razz] . Very big accomplishment on getting it.

Head is fuzzy.. I really should sleep..

--------------------
"Fear is the mind-killer"
-Don't be afraid.

Posts: 117 | From: I'd prefer to keep it private | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Gah. The last two weeks have been INTENSE.

Last weekend in March, I attended a LEGO convention. Oh yes. THAT was so much fun. I can't describe how nice it is to be around other geeks that know what I'm talking about when I say I got 6057 for $15! What a steal! [Wink]

And the weekend after that (last weekend) I went to Vegas. All by myself. That was a mind-blowing experience. I'm all for solo travel, but this was in Vegas. Yep, so totally nervous about that. I saw KA on Friday night, and saw Josh Groban on Saturday night. Oh, I love me some Josh. Oh yes. Even better, when he was on my side of the stage, he was only 20 feet away! ::fangirlsqueal::

It's odd when work is a vacation from life. On that end, work's going good. We've got VP's visiting from Florida, which is always fun. They took down my poster. [Frown] Poor Jack Sparrow's in my drawer until Saturday. Oh well.

--------------------

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww I'm jealous! I've always wanted to get really into Lego collecting... but my mom never let me get the kits, just the big bins of random blocks, because "kits hinder creativity"! [Frown]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Nah. I figure at the very least, they give you step-by-step directions on new, exciting building styles you can work into your own stuff.

Besides...without the sets, where would the castle heads flock to? Space? Town/Train? [Big Grin]

I didn't take any pictures, though. Nope. None. Noooone at alll..... [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.