Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Gumdrop Girl: Episode 2 (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Gumdrop Girl: Episode 2
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go shorty! it's your birthday!

i'm 23 i don't gain any new rights or priveleges today, but I am going to Hooters for some beer and hot wings after class.

Already started celebrating. Went to Disneyland on Friday (and accidentally {?} got groped by Pluto ) Threw a party on Saturday (thanks for coming, BruinDan and Milke!). Now I am cramming for my epidemiology exam, but I'm still going to the beach this weekend.

To top it off, I'm still high on that new relationship energy, even if it's been kinda ongoing since summer. It's all good...

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweetpeas0214
Activist
Member # 15069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweetpeas0214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope you enjoy it.
Posts: 57 | From: Knoxville, Tn, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
[b](thanks for coming, BruinDan and Milke

Wouldn't have missed it for all the world, my dear. Besides, somebody needs to be the Undisputed Twister King, right?

Happy birthday, sweet Gummy...

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the Race for the Cure http://www.lackomenrace.org yesterday. It's the breast cancer charity run put on by the Susan G. Komen foundation. Wow, I actually paid money to run 5 kilometers. Whoda thunk it?

anyway, it was a lovely day and the Rose Bowl is a pretty cool place. I started out in back, nad pretty much stayed there the whole time. My race time was 40 minutes. I'm not a very good runner, and despite me being in pretty good shape and going to the gym regularly, my asthma came back to bother me a bit (I could feel my bronchi constricting and there was a taste of blood in te back of my throat). no full blown attack, but I would've been better off had I had my inhaler handy (I haven't used that thing in about 4 or 5 years!).

I dunno if I'll do the run again. Maybe I'll walk next year instead. Who's with me?

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dunno if I'll do the run again. Maybe I'll walk next year instead. Who's with me?

If I'm here, I'm in! We've also got the Revlon Run/Walk late next Spring that goes right through SC's territory...I do that one every year and it's good times all the way.

------------------

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
civilization is an amazing thing. granted, having a screaming fit at Staples is not my grandest moment, if my worries consist of my pens not being in stock and too much latte in my latte, then i've got it really good. after all, i don't worry about being eaten by dinosaurs or dying on the plague.

i'm just stressed out in a 21st Century sort of way.

------------------
You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun.

Kara Zor-El
Activist
Member # 14499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Zor-El     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Went to Disneyland on Friday (and accidentally {?} got groped by Pluto )

Oh, goodness! I once got felt up by Minnie Mouse! Enjoyed it a little too much, too...hmm. Any wonder I ended up queer?

You make me laugh, Gumdrop Girl.

Love,
Kara

------------------
"If you're going through Hell, keep going..."
- Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by Kara Zor-El (edited 12-07-2003).]

Posts: 123 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kara Zor-El:
You make me laugh, Gumdrop Girl.

Hey, don't get too close...she bites!

------------------

¡Siendo padrote no es cil!

sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha my ex boyfriend said he wanted to go to USC yesterday while watching the game, but he doesnt think they'll let him on the team with a last name like Bruin.
Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

glad you find me amusing, Kara. Indecent, juvenile, puerile humor keeps my boredom at bay and I'm going to Disneyland again on the 20th.

quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
Hey, don't get too close...she bites!

Hehe, you should know

sublime, USC's so overrated. your ex doesn't really wanna be here. but maybe he oughtta have a word with Danny... Yo Danny, know anyone named Trojan?

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

quote:
Originally posted by sublime_15:
Ha my ex boyfriend said he wanted to go to USC yesterday while watching the game, but he doesnt think they'll let him on the team with a last name like Bruin.

Don't let that stop him...Troy Aikman was one of the best players UCLA ever had. Despite the name.

Gummy, the only Trojan I know about is the prophylactic. My friend and I were talking about this nonsensical BCS yesterday, and musing about how we wouldn't put it past those computer programmers to put Oklahoma and LSU in the title game, and leave 'SC out in the cold. What a joke.

------------------

¡Siendo padrote no es cil!

Kara Zor-El
Activist
Member # 14499

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kara Zor-El     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm going to Disneyland again on the 20th.

Say hi to Minnie for me

Posts: 123 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my computer went *splodee* and then i've been shuttling back and forth between here, myparents' home and other destinations. haven't been on at all, but i'm back. ready to start a new semester. actually, i'm not, but heh, what can ya do 'bout it?

anyway, with 430 watts behind me, my machine will be unstoppable. or less likely to go *poof-die* again.

------------------
It ain't the holidays till I see a Salad Shooter commercial.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, my boyfriend and I started what will be a pretty long separation. He's in the military, and about two weeks ago he received orders to depart on a new assignment. He didn't tell me what it was, where he is going or what he'll be doing (I don't know if that's the nature of the assignment, or if he's just afraid to scare me), but he did say it'll be at least 8 months before he returns. We haven't even been dating for 8 months!

Nonetheless, I sucked it up and dealt with it (since I knew this was going to happen, it was just a matter of time). I went up to see him Tuesday night (that's a 200 mile drive for me, btw), helped him finish up the last of his errands and just tried to comfort him (he had been awfully stressed the past several days and really didn't want to leave me).

He had to report to base early on Wednesday morning. I drove him out there and watched as he put on his uniform (I never thought I was one for uniforms, but hot damn!). He left me his spare hat as a memento. It's on the couch watching tv. Then we kissed and said our goodbyes. I don't know when I'll hear from him again, but I hope to have him back by Thanksgiving (he has to come back to me -- I have his stuff, including his keys). He slung his duffel over his shoulder, and I straightened his hat. Then he walked away. I stood and watched till he was out of sight, then I sat in the car for a minute, still watching. As I drove away, I caught a glimpse of him one more time as he rounded a corner. We waved to each other and I drove off.

A few of my more liberal colleagues have asked me if this experience has made me antiwar, anti-military. First off, it hasn't because I know he believes in what he's doing. Second, seriously shove it. Don't use my relationship to further your political agenda. I can't think of anything more insensitive.

------------------
"Young lady, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" Homer Simpson

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

I think I have a crush on Clay Aiken. I have this overwhelming urge to hug him. Nothing more than that. This is my new goal in life, I need to hug Clay Aiken.

------------------
if p then q (statement)
if p then not q (negation)
if q then p (converse)
if not p then not q (inverse)
if not q then not p (contrapositive)

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can browse through our uniform cupbaord anytime you'd like. It's been mouse-free for over a year now, and those teal rubber gloves are great for hair dying.

And I understand the hug-crush thing. I'd like to hug both Buddy Holly and Peter Noone, but one's been dead for a really long time, and the other's getting on, so you probably chose a better person than I did.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

And everybody's got to live their life
And God knows I've got to live mine

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

another midterm done and now starts my spring break. had lunch with friends (including a tasty wine called Lambrusco), just dropped a friend off at the airport and spent a few hours wandering around the glendale galleria. going to hang out in hollywood tomorrow, get a haircut. and maybe some thai food. saturday i'm going to the symphony with a buddy. sunday, i start a roadtrip up the coast. LA to san francisco with plenty of stops in between. wednesday is st. pat's, so i plan on having a pint of guinness with my friends at my favorite irish pub up in berkeley. then back to bakersfield. then off to my best buddy's wedding in the inland empire.

------------------
SPAM: Spare Parts of Assorted Mammals

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*beats head against desk*

bloody hell. I'm trying to write a paper on toxic shock syndrome for my infectious diseases class. I've got the information about the epidemiology, clinical presentation and history of the disease, but for the life of me, i can't find a decent article about case series. I know the initial outbreaks of menstrual TSS were caused by use of Rely brand tampons but for some reason, Medline didn't turn up a darn thing about those cases. ARGH! If I can't find it, i'm gonna have to turn this paper around to Strep TSS in burn victims, instead of Staph TSS in women.

------------------
Q ... E ... D ... bee-yatch!

Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel ya. One recent organic chemistry lab session was entirely devoted to teaching us how to find papers and journal articles on various databases and scientific online libraries, blah blah blah. And you know what I found? They're useless. Even if you get a good abtract, most of the time you don't get the entire paper. I say, screw it, and go to Google.

Oooh, I was thinking of being a molecular biology major, but this year has truly taught me to hate chemistry. Yuck. Don't want to do that to myself for another two years. Biology and fuzzy animals, here I come!

Oooh, and I'm probably taking physics at Berkeley this summer! Tell me, is it really really hard? General physics is kicking my butt this semester, but that's because I hate physics, LOL. (Though I must say, at least it's better than any physics course I ever took in high school...)

Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

w00t, got back from Coachella. The reports you have heard on MTV are true. It was bloody hot. Crowds were insane. Water was $2 per bottle. But the Cure and Radiohead friggin' RAWK! Other notable performances included the Flaming Lips (Wayne Coyne descended upon Coachella from a bubble from outer space), Beck playing ad hoc in the smallest tent on the grounds, the PIXIES reuniting and making everybody feel good, Electric Six whose audience was a handful of folks but managed to play their signature disco-metal anyway. Muse rocked hard. AIR played their music to match the sunset. Belle and Sebastian were just so darn cute and nice. Yeah, I gotta do this again next year.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anita18:
I feel ya. ...Even if you get a good abtract, most of the time you don't get the entire paper. I say, screw it, and go to Google.

I found a citation for the original case reports in a CDC article. The case report was in the New England Journal of Medicine Oct-Dec 1980. The article is as old as I am. Had to descned into the med library's cold, stinky, creepy basement and retrieve the journal. But that was the last piece of info I needed, so i am set

Oooh, I was thinking of being a molecular biology major, but this year has truly taught me to hate chemistry. Yuck. Don't want to do that to myself for another two years. Biology and fuzzy animals, here I come!

In retrospect, I should NOT have studied molecular bio. It was cool, but I gotta say I prefer studying whole organisms. Not to mention, organismal bio is easier. Had I made a switch, I probably would have gone into plant bio or microbio because the department is smaller. I did like organic chem, though. A long time ago, one of the other advos was a Berkeley student, and she and I met up and I helped her a little with that. In case anyone else remembers sunflower, she's a law student now, and I think she got married.

Oooh, and I'm probably taking physics at Berkeley this summer! Tell me, is it really really hard? General physics is kicking my butt this semester, but that's because I hate physics, LOL. (Though I must say, at least it's better than any physics course I ever took in high school...) I ook Physics
uggh. physics. If you are a bio student, take physics 8. do NOT attempt physics 7 unless you really LOVE calculus. 7 series is for engineers, 8 series is for bio. I suck at physics, and yes, it was hard at Berkeley. what school are you at now? I might be able to give you a frame of reference compared to what you might be used to. i took physics 8A during the school year and hurried through physics 8B in summer because I needed to learn it for the MCAT. In summer, the head TA (aka head GSI) teaches physics 7 and 8, not the prof. It's still okay, though. And Berk's a GREAT place to be in summer. Weather is not oppressively hot, and the rents aren't nearly as ungodly. Choose Berkeley. I would

------------------

froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Officially insanely jealous. *pouts* Why do I have to take all these silly exams and not have wild musical fun?

Beck and Radiohead sound good, but Belle and Sebastian put me over the top. In any case, I'm glad you had a good time.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I study at Pomona College, and I was thinking of taking the 7 series because our own physics series requires calculus (albeit I admit it really wasn't much at all). I don't need it for a medical school requirement, but possibly for a grad school requirement if I plan to pursue biology further. I really have to talk to the physics chair about this, because I have to make sure that I can transfer the credits before I go out and do all this stuff. But if it's better for a biology major to do the 8 series, I'll bring that up with the physics dept chair. Thanks!
Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

FINALLY talked to the physics dept chair today, and she approved my taking 8B (since I'm currently doing the first semester of intro physics here). She also said that Berkeley was a terrific place to be during the summer. Yayness! So, was it really hard taking 8B during the summer?
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Anita, phys 8B isn't that hard, and if you take it during summer, you're going to have a lot of time to work on it. However, even though it's summer, expect the class the be bigger than what you're used to. And yeah, I have not heard of any grad school programs rejecting phys 8B. while it's not heavy on the calc, it's definitely not what most folks call "easy."

Also, if they haven't renovated the building (and I doubt they have because it's rumored to be next for demolition), expect your study room to be sweltering hot and decrepit.

If you're gonna go clear out to Cal for a class, take advantage of other classes the offer. Psych 136 is the human sexuality class, and it's pretty easy.

------------------

Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

I was thinking of taking something more brainless actually. My friend at Berkeley really wants me to try out tae kwon do (since she's already in the class and club and loves it) and I want to take the ASUC beginning watercolor class, since I'm really bad at watercolor and I was thinking of doing science illustration later on (which ironically, usually utilizes a lot of watercolor ) Hmm I'll think about that human sexuality class though. We have one here and it's one of the most popular classes on campus.

I can take hot weather pretty well. I'm a really cold person, so 80-90's is actually comfortable for me. (I'll still be wearing a sweatshirt when the temp is in the 70's.) 100 and in the blazing sun, not so much, but I doubt it's going to get that hot up there often...The lab and discussion sections are almost all full now, but my friend reassures me that people will move around the first couple of days. Which still won't really help me try to schedule around it...

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything at Cal is impacted, especially big classes like phys 8. So what. Just waitlist! Hell, I had to waitlist a lot of my classes while I was there. you get in either way. They usually expand the classes to accomodate.

Yes, the martial arts classes are pretty good at Berkeley. I had friends in Hankido, TKD and Wushu. I never had time for those classes, though. I always wanted to do tennis but it always conflicted with lab. As for recreational art classes? i don't know about them. But enjoy!

------------------

Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Hehe, I have a few more questions for you. How hard was taking 8B during the summer? My dad thinks it would be a bad idea to take any other course with it (even if they're non-academic) but I really want to take that watercolor class, at least. Tae kwon do would be for exercise, cause I never get enough..

Which leads me to another thing - the watercolor class as ASUC is from 7:30-10PM on Wednesday nights, and I really don't think my parents are going to let me take it because it's so late. They're afraid I'm going to get mugged. I'm hoping to get my Berkeley friend to take it with me, but I'm not sure if that will happen.

The studio is located in MLK Jr. Student Union, and I'm (probably) living literally a block away at Durant and Bowditch. (If I don't get that place, I might be living on Dana, but it would be about the same distance walking). How safe is that area at night? I need some personal accounts, because all of my mom's co-workers have been telling her how shady and dangerous it is... Someone even told her she knew somebody who was mugged on the south side. My friend says that the area might get dodgy around 10PM, but the most I'll get are homeless people haggling me if I live on Durant and Bowditch. What do you think?

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

durant @ dana or durant @ bowditch are both super-close to campus. While they're crusty student habitats, you're lucky to get a place there. My walk to campus was considerably farther.

To get to those places, you'd have to walk Telegraph at night, which isn't too bad (you'll just get homeless people accosting you a little, but that's not hard to get used to). Dana and Bowditch aren't very well-lit at all. So to get from campus to your place, you should take Telegraph to Durant

Under NO circumstances should you ever walk a poorly-lit street in Berkeley at night. While the watercolor class sounds fun, I'd STRONGLY advise against it unless your friend goes with you. Otherwise, you'd be wise to always call the CSP escort to walk you home (the number is 510.642.SAFE). When I lived in Berkeley, I was extremely apprehensive about walking around alone after 9pm. When I had a lab run late (9:30pm) I'd sprint home on my scooter along busy streets. Do not overestimate your own safety in Berkeley. I lived on Shattuck, on the southern end of downtown, and one of my friends got mugged on the end of my block.

A lot of people get comfortable with the area. A buddy of mine doesn't hesitate to wander home alone after midnight, even though she lives on a relatively unsafe street. Nothing's ever happened to her; nonetheless, I don't recommend it. Especially if you are new to the area, don't take your chances. The students are gone for the summer, meaning you can be an easy target, and it's far less likely oyu'll have any witnesses.

So yeah, watch your back. Travel in groups. Nothing ever happened to me because I was always very careful.

As for Phys 8B, I took it simultaneously with the Princeton Review MCAT prep class. I had a decent workload, but other than studying my arse off for the MCAT, I didn't feel overwhelmed. On the other hand, a friend of mine was a JMU student who did Phys 8B last summer, and she felt like the class was kicking her butt because I guess the courseload was more rigorous than what she was used to at her school. I think you could definitely do the TKD class, or the painting, but both might be a little too much.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm working at the health department now. It's great. I haven't started on my thesis project yet because my supervisor is having me try out all the little projects in the department. I'm going to be doing outreach with health services at high schools in LA (they're on year-round scheduling), distributing information on STDs, but I can't say anything too specific about sex because we've had a parent complaint. Nonetheless, the students can take our informative pamphlets on various STDs. The drug/tobacco prevention crew is going with us, too.

I have a cubicle. Again. I had one at my last internship. I put up the department's posters all overthe walls. I have one up that has 101 ways to say NO to having sex en español. I also have a chart of various STDs, and a giant department banner with the county seal. I put that one up to protest the ACLU, who are pressuring the County to remove a tiny cross symbolizing the history of the missions in Los Angeles. Seeing as I live down the street from Mission San Gabriel (on the El Camino Real, no less), I think the revision of local history is absurd. But away from politics and back to STDs...

I started answering the STD hotline just today. Before this, I had been listening in on calls and trying to get a feel for how things were done. lemme tell you, it's just like answering your questions here on ST, but HARDER. I'm on the spot and I gotta pick up the answer right off the top of my head (even though they gave me a humongous binder of answers and info). The callers are generally older than the users here. the kinds of questions are slightly different, too. There haven't been any pregnancy questions, probably because that's a different department altogether. I haven't gotten any requests for condoms so far. but hey, if you live in LA County and you want condoms, give us a call. I packed 'em, you can have 'em.

So, if you're in LA County, and want some STD info over the phone or want free condoms mailed to you, you can call us at 800.758.0880. Tell us you heard about the hotline on the internet. But please don't prank call us. My supervisor will kick my arse, and if that happens, I don't get my masters degree. that would be extraordinarily bad.

------------------
"Have you ever taken a moment to consider the alternate meaning of the word 'debugger?'" quoth Jack

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

I'm going to do my first big presentation at work! We do workshops and trainings for health providers, and on the 11th, we're doing our 8-hr STD training. I get to present GONORRHEA! wooHOO! yeah, I chose an easy one to start out. The curriculum is already written up, I just have to deliver the lecture and answer questions.

Meanwhile, I've been waiting to start up my big project. It's called Sexy... Healthy... Empowered! or "SHE" for short. I'll be oging to college dorms and facilitating discussion groups with 15 women and teaching self-esteem skills, safer sex methods, and sexual decision making. It'll be fun. I get to write up a grant proposal and implement the program. I already rewrote the curriculum and compiled a list of materials. Gotta wait for schools to come back into session, though.

I like my work. Classes are ok. Did quite nicely on tests in my genetics class and zing'd a great presentation on cystic fibrosis in French-Canadians. My bioinformatics class is a much bigger challenge. I'm writing a 10-page paper on deduction and visualization of protein structures starting from gene sequencing. I know very little on this topic, and I'm spending a lot of time doing research.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information for Los Angeles County residents.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

So last Tuesday, I decided to indulge my one, biggest, guilty pleasure: I went to a Phil Collins concert.

Now, Phil does have a lot of fans, after all, the Staples Center in downtown LA (near my office) was pretty packed. But I wasn't especially surprised to see that these several thousand fans (15000 of them?) were all old enough to be my parents. I must've been the youngest person in the entire arena who didn't come to the show with their folks (some of these middle-aged people brought their children along).

Actually, I didn't go with anyone. Trust me, I don't have a lot of Phil fans in my circle of friends. If I had asked for someone to accompany me to Radiohead? no problem, I;d have 4 or 5 clamoring for the extra ticket. But when I told some of them I was taking the evening off to see Phil Collins, I got some strange looks ("Phil Collins? Who are you, and what have you done to the real Gummy?").

Going to a big concert alone has its advantages. It's easier to get a good seat. This was no exception. Because this is Phil's farewell tour, and because I've never seen him before, and because I've been a fanatic since I was a very young child ('Face Value' was released shortly after I was), I chose to put up the cash for the best seats. As a result, I found a solo seat 14 rows from the stage (Floor 3, Row 14, Seat 14). I was on floor level, and close enough to see everything. I've never had seats this good in an arena show.

The band played all my favorites early in the set: "Against All Odds" (which was covered quite well by the Postal Service -- another band i'm into right now -- that I heard in my voice mail today because my boyfriend is just a sweetheart like that), "Something Happened On the Way to Heaven," and omfg, "In the Air Tonight" was just badass. Say what you will about Phil's penchant for writing schmaltzy ballads, you cannot deny the man is a master drummer, and when he gets behind a drum kit, the guy just kicks ass and takes names. They closed with my all-time favorite Phil tune, "Take Me Home." I figured they would. I've watched the concert videos he puts out (yes, I was that big of a fan), and he always closes with "Take Me Home."

Yeah, it was a great night. The concert was splendid. I'm just disappointed that the first time I was able to see him play, would likely be my last I waited all my adolescence to see him perform (I *almost* got to see him in 1994 on the 'Both Sides' tour 'cause my cousin was thinking of going, but her yuppie husband was going away on a business trip; he actually got to see Genesis on the 'Invisible Touch' tour in Sydney Aus, in 1987), and didn't get around to actually catching a tour till adulthood. I guess good things come to those who wait.

I wish I could'vet seen Genesis play. 'Invisible Touch' tour would've been perfect since they were at the height of their game then. As for Phil Collins solo tours, I wish I could've been there during the 'But Seriously' tour. But consider I would'vbe been 7 and 10 for both respectively, meh, what can you do? go back in time?

Anyway, I eagerly await the rest of you to chime in and tell me what a dorkus I am for playing up the indie rock hipster side of me when all this time I've been a mushbag who likes Phil Collins.

so taaaaaaaaaake, take me hoooooooome, cos i don't remember...

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information for Los Angeles County residents.

Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this part of the boards and had to write. I read a nice post you did on dissacharide/lactate clarification in a different area but had a case of mistaken identity. Learned about a very nice person more north than I though, so it all works out.

I just started reading and posting here after begging for help, and this whole site/community is top notch.

You seem to be living the life of my alter ego (the one that didnt go on a 12 year LOA from the doctoral program - I wonder if they have noticed I gone... Nah). I love protien chemistry and am fascinated by the potential it offers. The math gets a little sticky when it comes to the p-chem of folding though. I love doing talks certain disease that we have worked out just enough of the molecular biology of to be tantalizing, but not enough to fully understand it. Wild speculation/exploration is a blast, but tends to make dull dinner party conversation. Maybe I am going to the wrong parties?

Well, I am working on a talk for this weekend on a new ketolide antibiotic, and its a hoot. I suspect it will find its way into the treatment guidelines for some STIs very soon, perhaps the next iteration from the CDC. It is cool because of its effect on the 21s ribosomal sub unit and bacterial protein synthesis. Well, I think its cool anyway...

Cell signalling and transduction were part of my research when I at UC Los Angeles. Actually I guess Immunotoxicology would be a better global term. I started out looking at cadmium related immune dysfunction and ended up studiying rat myoblast calcium channel expresion. There were so many great opportunities there for research it is surprising managed to stay focused long enough to finish the Masters and start making a living.

You mentioned the med lib and the basement, if it was like the same stacks I used to lurk in I loved it! They have copies of Nature going all the way back! Like 1890s if I recall correctly!

Wow, its a surprise that I go to any parties when I talk like this. I was actually redirected to this section by another helpful individual after a bit of rambling off topic, but in your posts here you seem to have a genuine love for the science.

I am trying to be a better poster, I guess I went a little overboard on a recent depo-STD link too.

Well if your not asleep yet, how did your GC thing go? Cipro still working there in LA? I have not read all your posts yet, but jumped to the end to see if this thread was still active. I am interested to see how you went from MB to PH.

Have fun and good luck in your studies-

"I love prions - do you like prions?"
Overheard at a department party- sad isnt it?

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A client of mine that I have seen since her Jr. yr in HS is now in Madagascar for her second year of Peace Corp work and she has been keeping us posted with a kind of E journal. I have been planning to print and bind it for her (hand sewn home made cheesy project) as a memoir. I have only read 2 pages of this thread but am struck by the similarities. Do you ever read back on your posts, or could you see doing that later?
I wonder if it would be as interesting reading it later in life, or preserving for later interested parties as it was living it.
Just curious

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Hi Barbarosa, thanks for taking the time to read all of my prattle. I'll try to write what I can, but I am terribly exhausted from 8 hours of work and 6 hours of stats programming homework.

• Do I go back and read my old posts? Absolutely. This is actually my second thread. My first thread was all about me going through college and stuff. I hope the growth is evident, because i'm definitely not the same person I was when i joined ST. I was 19 then; I'm going on 24 now.

• How'd I go from MCB to MPH?
    Well, the MS med school cram program at Georgetown didn't take me (see pg 6). My grades coming out of Berkeley were a little too low to put me into med school right away. I had a good MCAT score, but it expired last year. Luckily, I got into USC's MPH program, and it's been occupying my time ever since. I'm studying epi/biostats, and it's actually not what i want to do long-term. I'm finding that i really prefer health ed. and health promo stuff. Epi is great in the classroom, but the 9-5 work is tedious as hell. I hate the academic aspect of HP, but in practice, it's deeply satisfying. I'll earn my degree in December, retake the MCAT in April, and apply in summer. If all goes well, I'll be in med school this time next year.

• My thoughts on molecular bio?
    I like protein chemistry, and i took a pretty interesting class on bioinformatics where i learned a lot about proteomics. I didn't understand it well enough in college, but now, I think microarrays are the bee's knees. Moreover, I *really* dig protein modelling software. I still play with NCBI's Structure database and PDB from time to time.

As a career move though, MCB was a poor choice for me. The major was terribly impacted because it was a popular choice for pre-meds (like me), so it was impossible to get support and every other student was hellbent on sabotaging your work. What I fared much better with in college was organismal biology, though I wasn't an integrative bio major. I have a particular fondness for fungi. I'm also into endocrinology. I wish I would have had some formal experience with pharmacology. I do love science, though sometimes we've had a tenuous relationship.

• Howd the GC talk go?
    That was my workshop debut, and it went pretty well, though I always jumble the names of the drug therapies. I tend to mention doxycycline for concomitant GC/CT treatment, and ciprofloxacin since that's what people tend to recognize (the joke I tell is, "If you are being treated for both GC and anthrax, you might want to reconsider your lifestyle choices." ha ha, it's funny only to me ). I have a hard time pronouncing ceftriaxone, and i mix it up with cefixime anyway, so I avoid talking about those, though i think they're the leading treatments used in LA public health clinics. The GC talk is the easiest since a lot of that ground is covered during the CT lecture.

What was cool, though, was I acutally did my first solo presentation on Sunday, and that went over very well. I had a crowd of 40 teachers renewing their credentials, one of whom teaches high school health, so I knew if I said the wrong thing, she'd call me out on it. That kept me on my toes. What should've been a 90 minute presentation went 2 and a half hours. It was a lot of fun, and i'm hoping I get to do more lectures. I won't be presenting at tomorrow's lecture (Herpes and Warts) but I will be listening in.

So thanks for asking. I am a geek. And I assume you are a nurse practitioner? That's defintiely an intersting line of work. I don't think nursing is for me per se, but I admire those who choose it as their profession. My mother and sister are RNs, but not NPs (though i suspect my sister is likely to go that route -- she's *awesome* when it comes to therapeutics).

okay, it's almost 1am and i seriously need sleep. and i'm sorry the rest of ST is being neglected because I come home so late these days. i'll be back soon enough!.

------------------
    Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
    1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

•   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
    Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.