Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Kythryne (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kythryne
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been browsing around a bit, posting in a few threads, and thought I'd introduce myself here...

I'm Kythryne, as you may have already figured out. Other facts and rumors: I'm 23, female, bisexual, married, and poly; red hair, green eyes, and short; I'm pierced and tattooed; I'm a musician, writer, and computer geek; I read voraciously; I have a very warped sense of humor; I'm a terrible speller; and I have two obnoxious cats. Is that enough detail, or shall I go on? ;-)

Kythryne

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fibromyalgia sucks. I am *so* tired of being stuck in bed and on the couch. I'm tired of feeling like someone is slowly and methodically tying all my muscles into knots. and sticking pins into my nerve endings. I may like pain, but not this much. [grumble mutter complain]

Oh, well. At least my computer is set up in the living room now, so I can browse the web from the couch. And I'm getting to read a lot. But sheesh, this is getting old...

Kythryne

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyth, I'm sorry to hear about your condition.

...as well as some of your other ones, since you have enough in common with me in various phases of my life that perhaps I should worry about you, eh?

Nevertheless, welcome to the boards, and I hope you feel better.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Hey, cool, a new nickname! I think I'll start using it.

Worry about me? Nah, I can think of worse things than being like the lovely and talented Miz S...

Kyth

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

My beloved 15-inch monitor died suddenly this morning. And I didn't even get to say goodbye, since I was still asleep at the time. J. had to wake me up to deliver the news. :-(

So for most of the day I was stuck working on the teensy-tiny b&w monitor that I've had since approximately 1991. Words can not describe that experience.

But, after listening to much swearing from down the hall, and after being called into help solder a couple of times (it's always fun wielding a soldering when you haven't the slightest idea what you're working on!) J. presented me with his old 17-inch monitor, newly repaired and all mine until he figures out what's wrong with my monitor. I knew there was a reason why I married him...

Kyth

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

And on a lighter note: you know that cute little "uh-oh!" sound file that AOL plays when something goes wrong? My cat just walked up to me and made that exact same sound. Don't ask me how she learned it. I don't even have AOL.

Kyth

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...methinks your cat has been paid off by the AOL/TimeWarner folks!

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

quote:
Hmmm...methinks your cat has been paid off by the AOL/TimeWarner folks!

Hrumphf. If that's what's going on, she can darn well start buying her own kitty kibble, then.

Kyth

(edited 'cause I can't type at 2:30 in the morning, evidently)

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 10-17-2001).]

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Uh-oh!"

I like that sound. Or I did, for the first 20 or so times. After the 30-40 millionth time, it got boring.

What sort of tattoo do you have? I've been considering doing it myself, but every time I think I know what I want, I change my mind!

Oh yeah - what sort of music/instruments do you play?

------------------
Rap music: keeping the black man down since 1991

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

quote:
What sort of tattoo do you have?

It's the kanji symbol that means (loosely translated)"healing" and it's on my upper back, right over my spine. I had it done on my 23rd birthday, to commemorate the fact that I was finally starting to heal emotionally, ten months after I'd left my abusive ex.

Eventually, I plan on having a column of kanji symbols down my spine, each one representing something important that's happened in my life. I already know what the next one will be -- the symbol that means "remember," as a remembrance of the two pregnancies that I lost at six weeks.

It took a long time for me to figure out what I liked in tattoo styles and what I wanted to have done, but once I hit on the kanji idea, I knew it was exactly right for me.

quote:
Oh yeah - what sort of music/instruments do you play?

Instruments: these days, just guitar, violin, electric bass, and piano. But over the years, I've also played dulcimer, cello, viola, flute, autoharp, celtic harp, banjo, percussion... as with tattoos, it took me a long time to decide what I really liked.

I also sing, and as for musical styles, that's hard to define. My biggest influences are probably Melissa Etheridge, Natalie Merchant, Counting Crows, and Leonard Cohen... does that help?

I want to be Melissa Etheridge when I grow up. Or at least be her girlfriend.

Kyth

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kythryne:
[BMy biggest influences are probably [snip] Natalie Merchant...[/B]

Ohhh boy did I spend all of my 7th grade year madly in love with Natalie Merchant. A brunette with a voice! That was back in the 10,000 Maniacs days, when Our Time in Eden had just come out. My parents were incredibly confused by the music coming out of my room at that age, Guns 'n Roses one moment and 10,000 Maniacs the next.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Question of the moment: should I change my name? In real life, I mean. Kythryne (pronounced KETH-rin) isn't my real name, but I've never particularly liked my real name. It doesn't feel right, somehow. And Kythryne does, as evidenced by the fact that I use it instead of my real name.

So, should I have it legally changed? <ponders>

Kyth, of the name identity crisis

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...a very good question, and one that requires careful study. (says the never-studious BruinDan)

I really can't imagine changing my name, simply because it's what I have grown to live with all these years. (I'm your age, incidentally). I mean, my name isn't as cool or flashy as Zeke or Striker or OneReallyBadDudeWhoWatchesHockeyOnTV, but changing my name to one of those would be awkward. All my friends and acquaintances know my name for what it is, and I wouldn't feel right changing it at this stage in the game.

But I suppose if you've gone by Kythryne for ages now and more people identify you by that name anyway, then you'd have nothing to lose. It's just a hard thing for me to fathom, since I tend to be so indecisive anyway. At this point I don't think I could handle a lifelong decision like changing my first name...changing my last name would be much easier.

------------------

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried changing my name to Julius Caesar last week, but the guy at the librarum just yelled at me and said I was dead or something.

Two quick questions for you:
I always thought that the dulcimer was just one of those made up instruments people joked about - like the bagpipes. They don't really exist, right?
And putting the autoharp down is a bit wussy isn't it? Anything with the word auto in it must play itself!

Except maybe autochthones. But I just made that word up.

------------------

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed my name to Yalith legally about a month ago. It's really important to be sure about the name change, because it's pretty much a permanent thing. I had been using Yalith sometimes from 13-14, and very consistently since I was 15 (I'm 17 now). Be prepared for people to be annoying and refuse to call you Kythryne. And I didn't realize it before, but you have to pay to get your name changed legally. It cost a few hundred dollars I think. I don't know exactly because it was my birthday present. It's also a ton of paperwork, but entirely worth it if you're serious about it. You said that your legal name just doesn't feel right, and Kythryne does. That's exactly how I've felt for a long time, but with Yalith, not Kythryne of course. Try using it for absolutely everything non-official for at least a few months to see if that works for you. If so, go for it. It should also be easier for you than it was for me because you're over 18, and only changing your first name. Now changing your first and last name . . . that's just a lot of work, I just did it.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

So, I've started using Kyth in real life. I'm liking it. I still forget occasionally, and there are places I'm still having to use my "real" name, but mostly it's good.

My best friend and her husband are coming up this afternoon -- we're gonna hand out candy to all the rugrats in our neighborhood. Fun, fun. I won't be answering the door much, because I'm determined to dress up as a stripper.

Oh, and I'm an advocate now. Wheeeee!

Kyth

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why didn't I think of the stripper thing?

Its so easy...you don't need to buy anything! Just run around naked.

Although I suppose naked-me is likely to cause severe psychological trauma to most kids...

Congrats on the Kythryn thing, and the Advo thingy.

------------------

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

quote:
Why didn't I think of the stripper thing?

Its so easy...you don't need to buy anything! Just run around naked.

Although I suppose naked-me is likely to cause severe psychological trauma to most kids...

Hee... okay, so I dressed up as a fully clothed stripper. And no, that is not an oxymoron.

I did, however, chicken out on wearing my really really short black skirt, and settled for my really short black skirt instead. Yeah, I'm a wimp. But it was still fun.

Kyth, who shouldn't have been left alone with the leftover candy

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Hmmm. Evidently it's been over a month since I posted anything here. Bad Kyth!

Things have been changing in a very big way. We've become very very broke, and had to move in with my parents because we couldn't afford our house anymore. So, most of our stuff is now in storage, and we're living in my old bedroom. Fun, fun.

But, we have a roof over our heads, my best friend is now twenty minutes away (instead of being four hours away if I drove at 90 mph the entire way) and I have internet access again, so life is reaonably good.

And I've decided I want to go back to college and get a degree in psychology. I'm not quite sure exactly what I'll want to do with it, except that I want to focus on human sexuality and gender/queer issues.

Oh, and I have a new .sig.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

(edited because I forgot to use the .sig I just bragged about...)

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 12-07-2001).]

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
College? I'm proud of you! My mom went back to college several years after graduating high school and it was a large hassle but well worth it in her opinion. Where are you going to go?
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

I missed y'all, I really did. I've had far too much time on my hands this past week.

And in other news, I have a new tattoo! <bounces up and down happily> It's a lovely bit of swirly blackwork orchids and vines, wrapped around the top of my right breast. See what happens when I have too much time on my hands and my grandparents send me a check and instructions to buy myself a Christmas present?

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

I'm decidedly lacking in Christmas spirit this year. Part of that, I know, is that we're living with my parents at the moment, who feel compelled to "do" Christmas vigorously, complete with much housecleaning and a great deal of visiting with relatives. Mind you, no one in my family gets along with anyone else, so family gatherings are really quite a bad idea. And did I mention that some people are strict vegetarians, and others are highly insulted if even one person declines a portion of the turkey?

That reminds me of a cartoon that my mom has pinned up in her office. It shows two women bitching and moaning about holidays, and one woman says "I think it's all the chemicals in the turkeys. The other says "I think it's all the turkeys in your family."

<sigh>
Christmas was a lot more fun when I still believed in Santa...

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT?!?!! HE DOESN"T EXIST!??!?! nooooooo!!!!
*runs away sobbing*
way <hiccup> to ruin <hiccup> my dreams <hiccup hiccup>
Santa's cool, y'all.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

So, now I have an online journal. The link's in my .sig if anybody's curious...

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Thinking With My Hands

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 01-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 01-27-2002).]

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Wooooooooooooo-hoooooooooooooooo! My partner and I are escaping from the hell-hole that is my parents' house! My best friend's grandma has a travel trailer that she's agreed to sell us for a mere $350, and we have a place to put it that's far, far, far, far away from my parents. I am *so* happy tonight.

So very soon we shall be back in civilization, and I shall have cable modem again, which is amost as good as being back in a place of our own.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

-- Alfred Kinsey

kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

I have fabulous new hair. Lookie lookie: http://kythryne.diaryland.com/020425_33.html

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

-- Alfred Kinsey

somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, I'm confused... When did you go from having a husband to having a girlfriend? I started reading your thread and you said that you had a husband, so I read on for an explanation except there never was one...

Unless by "poly" you meant polygamous, except being married to one person and dating another doesn't fall under the definition of polygamy (plural marriage)... so I am confused.

Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pssssst...Kyth's situation aside (which is indeed complex), "husband" is not a term limited only to men, biological or otherwise. Many couples -- not just hetero ones -- use the terms husband and wife to define their roles in a partnership.

In other words, Kythryne's partner can still be a husband and a girlfirend if she so chooses. Or not. Up to her.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

As Miz S. said, it's complicated. I started this topic prior to my husband's decision to transition to female. That's right, folks, I'm married to a transsexual, and my husband is now my wife. Confused yet?

Details over here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum25/HTML/000064.html

And just as an aside, polyamory does not exclude being married to one person and dating and/or being in a committed relationship with someone else. My partner and I are both poly, and although we do not currently have any other partners, it's not out of the question for either of us.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

-- Alfred Kinsey

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 05-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 08-10-2002).]

somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somewhatanonymous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it doesn't help whith my confusion when you use abbreviations for words with no widespread accedemic acknowlegement (polyamory isn't in the dictionary, neither is amory). Yah, I know you aren't responsible for the term, but: amory??? what is that even supposed to mean as a congiation of amor vs. amorous???... ok I figured it out (5 minutes later). Amory is supposed to be a noun whereas amorous is an adjective so polyamorous wouldn't make a very good name for something. (Do you ever feel like you over-think things? Me neither.)

That was a rather simple explanation as to WHO actually. What I am confused about is why you called your her your girlfriend and not your wife to begin with. There are definate relationship role diffenences implyed by the terms wife/husband vs. girlfriend/boyfriend which, coupled with the polyamory not polygamy misunderstanding lead me to wonder what was going on.

So... why did you refer to your transgendered spouse as your g/f and not your wife? Sorry to pry I'm just rather curious.

Posts: 141 | From: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Somewhat, "poly" is widely used as a short form of either polyamory or polyamorous. I'm sorry if you misunderstood it.

And to the best of my knowledge, I have never refered to my spouse as my girlfriend. I usually refer to her as either my partner (when I don't feel like explaining the whole "yes, I'm female, and yes, I have a wife" thing) or my wife. So I'm curious as to where you saw me call her my girlfriend. If you can point me to a post where I did so, I'd appreciate it.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

-- Alfred Kinsey

somewhatanonymous
Activist
Member # 3820

hmm... I imagined it. You did use "partner". Partner is pretty vauge (easily refers to anyting from someone you had sex with while drunk at a party and don't even know their name to someone you've made a life-long commitment to), but I guess that was your intention.
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

It's been a while, hasn't it? Eeeep!

Big news in my life -- my partner and I are moving to New York City. Needless to say, we're tremendously excited about it. I have a million and one things to do before we leave, and I'm muttering "I hate moving... I hate moving... I don't ever want to move again..." about a dozen times an hour, but hey, I'm getting out of Florida, and that's something that's long overdue. Yippee!

I'd imagine I'm going to hit a bit of culture shock once we get there, since I'm going from a tiny backwater town in rural Florida to one of the largest cities in the world. I'm looking forward to it, though, and I've always been a city girl at heart, so I think I'd adjust just fine once I get settled.

Any tips on things I should do and see once we move? Good restaurants I should try? Cool local bands I should go hear? Toss 'em at me!

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey gurly

i am so completely jealous of you. new york! that's been my little girl dream forever!

yeah, i've got a suggestion on what you should try: everything!!! and tell me about it! i don't get to leave home for another two years. not that i hate home or anything, but i can't wait to move to an actual CITY where CORN FIELDS don't grow around it.

i'm sooo happy for you! keep me posted! and the best of luck!

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

I have arrived, and how! Good lord, but this is one huge city -- and I've only been exploring Staten Island, where I live, and Manhattan, where most of the interesting things seem to be located. I think I could live here the rest of my life and never see all that there is to see. It's utterly amazing, and huge, and wonderful.

The biggest change has been getting used to not having a car -- I probably walk a mile or two a day, and that's on top of all the time I spend on the ferry and on buses and subways. Exercise routine? We don't need no steenking exercise routine! And I have nice big leg muscles again, hurrah.

We finally have decent internet access again, so y'all can expect to see me around more often now, cracking my Sexpert whip and generally doing what I can to help out. Of course, now that I live in a proper city and thus have a Real Life, it'll be a bit less frequently than in months gone by...

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.