Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Nuvaring + spermicide effectiveness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring + spermicide effectiveness?
lotsofsnow
Neophyte
Member # 110420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotsofsnow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 9 months and sexually active together by the second month. I was taking the birth control pill (and I still am at the moment), however, the airhead that I am keeps forgetting it every other day, so we're struggling to find a way to make things easier for both of us, since my partner has trouble finding condoms fit for his dingly dong (the only ones we've found in his size, from TheyFit, were not made correctly for his needs). So yeah, we're rarely having penis-in-vagina intercourse, which is frustrating for both of us because when we do, it's uncomfortable for him and I'm the only one "enjoying" it, and we can't keep going for really long.

Our solution would be for me to change to a more steady and harder-to-mess-up hormonal birth control. My mom, who is a pharmacist, suggested that I talk to my doctor about trying the Nuvaring, since the chances of messing up are rather small and the side effects are way lower than the Depo-Provera. That's what I want to do, but before I do, I want to find an effective backup plan that doesn't involve a condom in case something happens, since the Nuvaring doesn't have a 100% efficiency. So I looked up here and found the sheet about the combination of different birth control methods, but it didn't include the Nuvaring + spermicide. I looked up on the internet and the Nuvaring website specifically states that it's safe to use spermicide as a second method with the Nuvaring.

So my question is, how effective would combining the two be, and why is it not stated on your sheet?

We've thought about many other options, but we have to deal with a place that has limited to no availability of many safe-sex stuff, such as the female condom, dental dams, contraceptive implants (legal but unavailable), the sponge, cervical barriers and whatnot. Only lube, spermicide and condoms are fairly easy to obtain. Also, IUDs are out of question; as weird as it may seem to people who never had to deal with a very well-endowed partner, IUDs will make sex really uncomfortable and will often hurt the penis, from what I've heard.

Posts: 2 | From: Quebec, Canada | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen, lotsofsnow!

You know, I can't tell you why the specific combination of Nuva Ring and spermicide did not make it on our article, and I am sorry for that oversight! Since the ring has a similar effectiveness rating to the pill, you can look at those numbers to give you an idea.

Have you been ordering condoms online? If you haven't, you can give that a try, as that gives you access to a bigger selection.

I also would not rule out an IUD just yet. As the IUD sits inside the uterus, and not inside the vagina, your partner will not be able to feel it, regardless of his size. He may be able to feel the string, but if that is the case, it can be shortened to make it more comfortable.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lotsofsnow
Neophyte
Member # 110420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lotsofsnow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

Yes, TheyFit is an online retailer and thorough research helped us find the right size for him; unfortunately, the condom's shape, the lube or thickness (well, something) seems to be wrong for him and we can't pursue intercourse much over a few minutes. We've tried bigger and smaller than his needs to no avail, and TheyFit was the only website carrying stuff in his size.

My comment about the IUD was from the comments of other well-endowed people, they have a sub on Reddit called "bigdickproblems". Some guys mention that trimming the strings is useless because they'll peek out anyway as time passes. If they are longer, they'll curve out of the way, but if they're too short already there's nothing to be done about it, from what it seems. I don't think it's worth trying because it's more complicated than other methods, plus I prefer to use hormonal birth control that I can take for more than just 3 weeks because I have heavy cramping and other PMS when I get my period.

I will take a closer look at all that and talk about it to my doctor, thanks for your help!

[ 08-04-2014, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: lotsofsnow ]

Posts: 2 | From: Quebec, Canada | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about ordering inside/female condoms online -- which fit ANY size penis -- and then combining those with the ring?

By the by, these boards will be shutting down in the next day or less, so if you want to continue this conversation, you'll need to come over to the new boards!

They are here: http://scarleteen.com/bb/index.php

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, I'd not suggest combining the Nuvaring with spermicide. It's just that chances are, both combined may irritate the holy heck out of your vagina.

Many users of the Nuvaring already deal with at least a little irritation, so choosing to add something more strongly associated with genital irritation than anything -- spermicides, most of which are nonoxynol-9, which is effectively dish soap -- and which is one of the two least effective methods there is in the first place just seems likely to be a poor pairing.

[ 08-05-2014, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.