Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » question about facts of condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question about facts of condoms
xmetalgirl
Neophyte
Member # 110591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xmetalgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
factsaboutcondoms.com is a great site I discovered recently with scarleteen as I decided to cancel out sites like yahoo and learned to read sites that have correct sex education. I like that factsaboutcondoms goes into every detail that has graphs and charts about the studies on condoms and use. I just have one question about a graph that was shown in a pdf that was offered under the professional stuff category. There is a study about rates of breakage and slippage across 2 randomized trials of condom efficacy for contraception. In 6 months slippage of condom use was 0.5, breakage was 0.3 and clinical failure was 0.8. My question is what does it mean by clinical failure? Does it mean that the failure is caused by the quality and manufacturing of condoms? Or does that mean clincal study on typical users where they did a research study with the group of people that use it typically?
Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a great site! And it's co-produced by the American Sexual Health Association (ASHA) -- whose main website, if you'd like it, is here: http://ashastd.org/ -- an organization which around 100 years ago was the first formal sex ed organization in the States!

You'd have to look at the context of that word -- clinical -- to be sure. Usually, however, what that means in the context of studies is that the study was a supervised study done in-clinic, rather than via self-reporting. But again, you'd need to look at the chart for that, and if it isn't defined clearly, would have to contact someone from that site to find out.

How fantastic that you have been turning around your choices in all of this and learning to focus on credible information! Yay for you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xmetalgirl
Neophyte
Member # 110591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xmetalgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also just read with those studies was that the low rates of breaking and slippage attests to the quality of condom design and manufacturing. So I guess does that mean the clinical failure study does not mean the condoms failed due to the quality of the condoms?

And oooooo thank you for the site! [Big Grin]

Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not. We've talked about this here before and done some pieces on it: when people use them properly, it is pretty seriously amazing (I think) how effective condoms are, and how rare things like slip-offs and breaks (especially breaks) are.

And you're so welcome!

Truly, I wish we saw more users realizing what they were choosing to read is not helping them and making a real effort to make different choices like you are. My hat's off to you!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xmetalgirl
Neophyte
Member # 110591

I also just read with those studies was that the low rates of breaking and slippage attests to the quality of condom design and manufacturing. So I guess does that mean the clinical failure study does not mean the condoms failed due to the quality of the condoms?

And oooooo thank you for the site! [Big Grin]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.