Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Switching from the Nuvaring to the pill.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Switching from the Nuvaring to the pill.
Chuck
Neophyte
Member # 95940

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Chuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So today, i went to the clinic and heard the worst thing ever. I cant get the ring for free any longer!

I was told my insurance only covered the pill, the depo shot and the UDI's. For almost more than two years i have been using the ring, and i love it! it such a great method for me, but i dont earn enough to buy them every month. So sadly i had to choose another option and i went with the pills.
So im pretty freaked out, because this is something i have take everyday and the exact time. i know it something i can do but it's gonna be hard at first.

so i have a few fears, some time or another i want kids, but is there any possibility from becoming infertile from using things like the nuvaring or pills?
How much of a difference is it going to be from switching from the ring to the pill?
Will my period still come naturally every month like it did while i been on the nuvaring?

Im switching to the pill called ortho-cyclen. Are those a good brand? is the dosage about the same amount the ring was giving me?

I just feel a little lost and confused. And really nervous because i have only used the ring and have gotten so used to it. Thanks!

Side question, i didnt want to make another topic!

Can my mom find out im on the pill since i used my insurance its Medi-cal but im overage im 19 now, she has no right to see my records without my consent. correct?

[ 07-02-2014, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Chuck ]

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you enrolled in FamilyPACT, the statewide program in Cali that subsidizes birth control?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck
Neophyte
Member # 95940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Editing..

Is FamilyPACT the teal card?

I was provided that through planned parenthood, so my mother wouldn't find out i was on birth control.And i got the nuvaring for free through that insurance. but the nurse told me to use my medi-cal card the next time i visited.. which i did and now im being moved to pills. I wanted to use the teal card again but, she said that basically fraud.. and that the government will charge me or something?

[ 07-03-2014, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Chuck ]

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure. But if your insurance is not covering the method you know works for you, it seems to me this is not medical fraud.

Perhaps it would be worth a call, email or visit in to the public health office to clarify this? It just sounds like you really liked your ring, so if there is a way for you to get it, that would be what you would feel best about.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I do not mean to blow off your other questions, btw, so if you still want those answered, just give a shout! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Chuck
Neophyte
Member # 95940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think im going to call and see if i can possibly get back on the ring. But can you still answer my questions, in case i can't get back on it?
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. [Smile]

There is no data that associates infertility with use of hormonal methods. Infertility most often is either a result of untreated STIs or other genital infections OR due to issues with a previous pregnancy or birth.

Besides how you use the ring vs. the pill, you likely will not feel any differently than you have. They're the same formulation, it's just that the means of delivery into your system is different. You might have different side effects, especially for the first few packs, but after that, there most likely will not be any big differences.

On methods like the ring, pill or patch, you get a withdrawal bleed, rather than an actual menstrual period, but yes: you should still be seeing that flow around the placebo week each cycle, just like you did with the ring.

There really are not good or bad brands of pills. The amounts of hormone vary very slightly among brands, so it's just a matter of trying a given kind and seeing if it is a good fit for you. In the event you have side effects you do not like, or are not getting certain side benefits you like, you can always ask your prescribing physician to try a different brand which may be more or less associated with any of those things. But the one you were given is one of the most commonly used brands, and is often the pill doctors will start people with.

Per your Mom and your insurance, is this your own plan, or a family plan? If it is your own, by all means, anything you do with it is not shared with her unless you do. If it is a family plan, there may or may not be itemized statements she will see. To find out if they are, you'd have to consult whoever you do with questions about your insurance.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Chuck
Neophyte
Member # 95940

Okay, great.
thank you for answering my question, it was really helpful!

Chuck
Neophyte
Member # 95940

Actually, i have another question! (sorry)

Since i been on the ring, and if i start the pill, will i be fine in having intercourse, unprotected?
I remember being told to wait the 7 days like i would if i started ring a few hours off.

My partner has never ejaculated inside of me unless where using a condom (always pulls out when where not using one). But would i still be fine, if we where to have unprotected intercourse? or do i have to wait a certain amount time on top of the 7 days?

Also i will be removing the ring 7th of this month, and was told i should start the pill on Sunday which is the 13th, is that correct..?

OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill will protect you from pregnancy from unprotected sex, yes. You can find the effectiveness rates for different methods of birth control here - just the pill is 92% effective with typical use. Whether you and your partner want to continue using condoms and/or withdrawal as well to boost that number is up to you, I imagine you'll want to talk to him about what level of risk you're both comfortable with.

Do bear in mind that the pill can't protect you from STIs, so if you decide to stop using condoms you'll want to both get up to date on STI testing, if you're not already. In fact, that'd be a good idea even if you keep using condoms. [Smile]

The mechanics of counting effectiveness days for hormonal contraception are entirely unknown to me, so I can only suggest you call your healthcare provider to double-check if you're not sure.

[ 07-05-2014, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: OhImpecuniousOne ]

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you switch from one hormonal contraceptive to another, it should be effective right away, as long as you don't take any longer than your normal placebo week. So, if you take the ring out on the 7th, and start your pills on the 13th, there won't be a gap in your protection. (And yes, that sounds like the right timing, but if you're unsure, you can double check with your healthcare provider.)

If you're concerned that you may have trouble getting into the routine of taking the pill at the same time each day, though, then using a backup method until you've gotten used to it would be a good idea. After that, whether you're comfortable relying on the pill alone is up to you. And, as OhImpecuniousOne pointed out, the pill doesn't protect against STIs, like the ring doesn't, so that's something to take into account too.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck
Neophyte
Member # 95940

Alrighty. Thank you very much, this was all very helpful. You guys are the best, your always easing my mind.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.