Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » is it ok to start the pill on the second day of period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it ok to start the pill on the second day of period?
akemisouma
Neophyte
Member # 109113

Icon 4 posted      Profile for akemisouma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very irregular and i can't tell when my periods will come. It started today, late night, can i buy and start the pills tomorrow?
Posts: 13 | From: Brazil | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you mean the birth control pill?

If so, people can start the pill at any time in their cycles.

It's just that how effective it will be how soon, and how quickly your body will tend to acclimate to it, varies per when people start.

So, if you are NOT starting in the first day of a period, or on or before the first Sunday after a period, know you'll need to back up your pill with another method (for any sex where you want pregnancy protection) until you finish that whole first pack.

You also may find you have more mid-cycle spotting for the first few packs, and that the withdrawal bleed you have on the pill may take a little longer to sync up with the placebo week than it would starting at those other times.

If you ARE starting before the first Sunday after a period, then the pill will usually become fully effective after a week of use, and your withdrawal bleeds may sync up faster with your pill.

[ 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akemisouma
Neophyte
Member # 109113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for akemisouma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. So it's better if i wait 'till sunday..? Thank you!
Posts: 13 | From: Brazil | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, any day iis fine, and so long as you start before Sunday, and take your pills properly, you can figure you have the full effectiveness within one week.

Sorry if I was unclear! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.