Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Plan B?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B?
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently, like yesterday had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. We've always had unprotected sex. It's just this time we witnessed some cum still coming out when he pulled it out. It's been about 14 hours and I'm probably receiving the Plan B pill in a couple of hours. How effective is this pill? and how do you know if it's working or not? I really can't and don't want to get pregnant. Are there some other ways that can help? Also, can this affect your period dates? if so, how long will it be delayed for?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alice! We have an article about the emergency contraceptive that tells you how effective it is, and what kind of things to expect when you take it:
Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

Yes, emergency contraceptive can often effect your period. It can delay it, make the flow different from usual, cause spotting, or perhaps make it come early. So if your period is wonky after taking it, that's no reason to worry.

Do you use any kind of birth control? If you really cannot have a pregnancy right now, I really advise against having unprotected sex. There's just no way to ensure that you won't get pregnant that way; even using forms of birth control, there can never be a guarantee that something won't go wrong. So if you really can't afford to risk having a pregnancy, intercourse is something that should probably be taken off the table, but ESPECIALLY if it's unprotected. If you aren't on any kind of birth control but want to know more about what forms may work for you, you can check out this article:
Birth Control Bingo!

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So there isn't an actual way to know if you're pregnant until you get your period

My parents don't know that I have sex and I don't know how they would take it if I wanted to take birth control

I'd also like to get tested for STDs but I don't have any money

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really don't want to become pregnant, perhaps discussing contraception with your parents might be a better option than having intercourse without it? Condoms are likely to be accessible to you and are very effective at reducing the risks of pregnancy and STI transmission. We're happy to talk with you about how to bring it up with your parents, or how to access contraception, or taking intercourse off the table.

There are very likely places where you can get low-cost or no-cost reproductive healthcare, including STI testing. Would you like some help in getting that healthcare?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

Yes, I wouldn't like to get pregnant at this moment so birth control sounds like a great idea. I just need to somehow convince my parents to let me take them.

Yes, please

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to let us know your general location we can help you find somewhere to get healthcare. You might also try our Help Near You database to see if anyone has added any listings for reproductive healthcare providers in your area: http://www.scarleteen.com/find_a_doc

One thing to remember is that condoms are cheap, effective and don't require a prescription (or talking to your parents). They're also the only method of birth control that protects against STIs as well as pregnancy. So, even if you get another method eventually, condoms are something you can start using now, and we always recommend that you keep using them in addition to whatever other method you choose.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

My parents are putting me on birth control, they just decided that they don't want me to get pregnant so I guess that was easy.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are you feeling about that decision?

[ 06-26-2014, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice Preston
Neophyte
Member # 110568

It makes me less paranoid about getting pregnant
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Less paranoid sounds good [Smile]

Are you feeling good about choosing a method? Feeling like you can have the right method for you, one that you feel confident about using properly and confident about it reducing your pregnancy risk?

Also, you said above that you wanted STI testing: is that something your parents or doctor are helping you access, too, or is that something you'd still like our help with?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.