Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Will my mom know if I get the Pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will my mom know if I get the Pill?
dcmolly44
Neophyte
Member # 110396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcmolly44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a 19-year-old college student who just finished my freshman year at a school far from home. Until my birthday in February, I had a special children's health insurance plan from the state; because of that and because I come from a fairly conservative state I assumed my insurance wouldn't cover birth control. However, now I have a Humana plan through the Obamacare exchanges which covers birth control for free. My question is, if I get the Pill through this insurance, will my mom be able to find out? I really don't want her to know I'm on the Pill but I really need it.
Posts: 3 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you apply for this plan, and do you pay for it yourself?

If it is not connected to a family plan, then no, there is no one, not a parent or anyone else, who is not part of your plan who can know what you use it for.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcmolly44
Neophyte
Member # 110396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcmolly44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my mom's insurance plan, but our entire family is on it. She pays for it.
Posts: 3 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay: so, in that case, yes, what it is used for may show up on her statements.

Would you like to talk about your options here, like going ahead and being honest with her, or seeking out a sliding-scale clinic where contraceptives may cost you little to nothing?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcmolly44
Neophyte
Member # 110396

Thanks so much for all your help. I don't think I can just be honest with my mom. She is pretty liberal about things like birth control in general, but when it comes to what I do, she suddenly becomes much more conservative. I think she's just really naive when it comes to her kids. She has never even attempted to start a discussion about sex, birth control or any other uncomfortable topic, and when I was younger if I brought up wearing a bra or my period or something, she would either clam up or laugh at me. So I learned pretty quickly not to talk about anything with her.

How readily available is this information? Do insurance companies automatically send statements to the house or would she have to go online or seek information out? In the past, it's been pretty easy to hide and sneak things by her and tbh she just doesn't see what she doesn't want to see. Unless she gets a piece of mail with "BIRTH CONTROL PILLS" in big letters she probably won't notice.

Heather
Member # 3

With Obamacare, you'd have to go ahead and look that up, to my knowledge. I know I have used my plan recently to get a medication, and I was not sent any kind of statement.

(In fact, if you want, I'm happy to go look at my own plan online and see what, if anything, it shows there about using it for my prescription.)

But you know, while I respect your right to privacy in this, I'd also like to make a pitch for kind of claiming your adulthood here. Your insurance covers this: she doesn't have to pay any extra, and she can't somehow take that benefit away. So, just doing this and letting her know you are might be something where you both get a thing you need, and also kind of take a stand for your independence here. You being more comfortable about it might also have a positive impact on her comfort.

Just my two cents. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Btw, your mileage may vary based on your plan, but I just went into the webpage for my own plan, and I see nothing, anywhere, that shows having used my coverage for a prescription.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.