Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Pregnancy before puberty

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy before puberty
Meggsy
Neophyte
Member # 104252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meggsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were discussing sex with the sister of a friend of mine. She is a virgin.She is pre-pubescent.
We discussed becoming pregnant on the first time you have sex.
The question she asked was;
Can you fall pregnant before puberty if you have unprotected sex..
There were two opinions.
No. You have to have a period first.
I believe that it is. If you have sex the month before your first period it will be possible as the period is at the end of the cycle. That is assuming you have sex on one of the fertile days in that first cycle.
As it not possible to predict your first period it would be possible, and risky at her age.
Would taking the oral contraceptive before onset of puberty affect or delay the onset of puberty.
Unfortunately she knows both her sister and I have boyfriends and we enjoy sex with them, and use contraception.
She is anxious to "see for herself what it is like."
We both advised delaying her experimentation until she is older - and wiser.
We both impressed on her the need for protection to be used when she decided to cross that line.

Can you confirm or deny you can fall pregnant before your first period?.
Would taking the oral contraceptive before onset of puberty affect or delay the onset of puberty?

Posts: 37 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Menstruation is not the only sign of puberty, and also generally not the first thing that happens in puberty.

The question you are asking is if someone can become pregnant if they have not had a period yet and the answer to that is that yes, that would be possible in the event that someone winds up having sex during their very first menstrual cycle.

Taking hormonal birth control before the start of menstruation would not delay menstruation (or have any other effect on development as a whole), however there is very little point in using a method of contraception that works by suppressing ovulation if you are not already ovulating. Howevere ultimately, whether and when to start hormonal birth control is something your friend will have to discuss with her gynecologist.

Meanwhile, you might find this article helpful:
Not Everything You Wanted To Know About Puberty (But Pretty Darn Close)

[ 05-01-2014, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meggsy
Neophyte
Member # 104252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meggsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You.
She will be far happier now as she is only 13 and already talking about sex. We all believe it will not be long before her first period arrives.
Should she ignore our advice she may get more than she bargained for.
This will help.

Posts: 37 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what you have been giving her in the way of advice, but if she is expressing interest in becoming sexually active, then some information on safer sex might be in order. If you are not sure where to start, we can point you towards some information that you can share with her.

I am not sure what you mean by her getting "more than she bargained for"?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meggsy
Neophyte
Member # 104252

We have been encouraging her not to entertain sex with boys for at least a few years - certainly not before 16.
She has admitted masturbating and we didnt discourage her. We have encouraged her to talk to her older sister before before starting anything else, and we believe she has listened.
Thanks for the advice. We have decided not to encourage her curiosity too much for the time being.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Masturbation is actually perfectly healthy and normal, and a great way for your friend to get to know her body.

And you know, curiosity is not a bad thing. And in fact, if you can point her towards reliable resources that are aimed at helping her make her own, informed decisions, that curiosity is actually a very good thing. Have you considered encouraging her to take a look around Scarleteen herself? We would be happy to answer any questions she may have.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.