Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Air left in condom tip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Air left in condom tip
EM26
Neophyte
Member # 110049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EM26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Scarleteen,

I recently had sex with a guy who I was seeing and we used a condom the entire time. I was half-watching him put the condom on, and was not sure if he squeezed the top of it when he was unrolling it (the condom had a reservoir teat). After he ejaculated, he shortly afterwards (but not immediately afterwards) withdrew from me. The condom did not slip off inside me or break, and when he withdrew, I could see there was quite a bit of semen inside the teat, and looked like some was down the shaft.

After having read your condom guide, I'm now worried we may not have used the condom properly since I'm not sure he squeezed the air out of it. However, since the condom didn't break or slip off, does that mean that it still as effective at preventing STDs (I'm on the pill so am not worried about pregnancy)? Or is it possible that the semen may have leaked out of the condom? I didn't notice anything at the time, but now I'm feeling worried.

Thanks a lot!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi EM,

You were right to assume it only fails if it splits. Check out some more information about condoms here: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_condoms

Posts: 692 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EM26
Neophyte
Member # 110049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EM26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jacob,

Thanks for that. So, because the condom didn't break or slip off, does that mean that I should be protected against STD tests and do not need to have a test done?

Also, is it possible for semen to leak out of the base of the condom after ejaculation if the penis is not immediately withdrawn?

Thanks again!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Possible' but if you didn't see it happen, I'd say not.

It's always good to get an STI test though, just as routine. But you're not likely to have contracted anything.

Posts: 692 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coleworld90
Neophyte
Member # 109958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coleworld90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi jacob. But How do you know if it leaked if the condom is still on and snug at base? There's usually fluid on the outside because of female fluids so how do we know? Thanks.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condoms are designed to securely hold all the fluid and not to leak, so you can have every reasonable expectation that it did not leak.

The issue with someone not pinching the air out is that when someone ejaculates in a condom, if there isn't enough room in the condom for the ejaculate, the extra pressure might cause a condom to break. You know that didn't happen, so you can know that it was fine.

As you can expect the condom to have been effective, you don't need to have a particular concern about having contracted an STI from this. Although barrier usage is very effective at protecting from most STIs, it's not an absolute guarantee, and therefore as a general measure it's wise to get routine STI testing: once a year, or whenever you have a new partner.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.