Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » birth control w/ mood disorder?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control w/ mood disorder?
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I've recently come to the conclusion that I think my birth control (the pill, more specifically microgynon) might be affecting my depression? I've stopped taking it at various times in my life (after my last breakup with a man, f'r example) and it seems to coincide with usually a less hard time with depression? so I was wondering what alternatives would work

I mainly take birth control because I have irregular periods and that way I knew when to expect them. I do (very occasionally) have sex with men, but I am a pretty top condom user and have no issues with taking the morning after pill if it breaks/slips off.

So: non-hormonal contraceptive that controls/stops periods? Is that a thing? Or would trying a different hormonal contraceptive potentially work better?

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a thing, nope.

But have you yet had a conversation about this with your healthcare provider? because, for instance, they can help figure out if this is about all hormones, or if it is just about the estrogen, as is sometimes the case for people.

They can also look into your irregular periods and see if they can't help you try some things to get them to be more regular, if you want to choose a non-hormonal method -- or something besides the Mirena IUD, which has hormones, though we'd not call it a hormonal method -- to cover your BC bases.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I confess, btw, when I first read your post, my mind created a version of a non-hormonal method that also stops periods: it was a diaphragm with a big red stop sign printed on the inside. [Razz] )

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for techie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay! Now I know.

What options are there for helping my periods be more regular, then? And would I be correct in thinking that if estrogen was the problem that the alternative would be the minipill? Or are there more non-estrogen still-hormonal contraceptives?

(I say contraceptives, this is pretty much all about periods. I'm content managing the pregnancy risk thing with condoms)

Posts: 160 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

There are other progestin-only options, you can see them here: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_hormonal_methods_without_estrogen

In terms of what you can do about irregular periods, that really depends on why they are happening, which a healthcare provider can work with you to help figure out. For instance, for one person, low weight or undereating may be the issue, while for someone else, there are thyroid issues afoot, and for another person entirely, they can get more regular just by making their daily lives more regular in some ways. It really depends.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

techie
Activist
Member # 61437

Ooh, I looked through Birth Control Bingo and didn't find that.

With the hormonal IUDs - unexpected spotting is handle-able, but with the shorter/lighter periods, would those be regular or just... when the body would have a period, but lighter than usual? If that makes sense as a question. If not, I'll try my best to rephrase it.

In any case, I'll go see my doctor when I can and talk about the regular periods thing, and maybe an IUD as an option.

Thanks!

Heather
Member # 3

You'd had to have answered the right questions to land there (but I am concerned you didn't, so if you have a minute anytime soon to email us with which you did so we can make sure this piece works as it should, that would be fantastic).

With the Mirena IUD -- which one has a localized hormone -- what impact it has on periods varies for users. Most will have shorter and lighter periods -- but that show up on a regular cycle -- fewer may find periods only show up every few cycles or so, or mostly stop altogether. There's no predicting, ultimately, just something where someone has to try it and see what happens.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

techie
Activist
Member # 61437

(I went down the non-hormonal options route, which is why I didn't end up there. Though it's probably worth noting that the "start over" link at the top of the page is broken, at least on that page and the page that clicking 'back a question' leads to.)

Okay, good to know. I think I'll consider it, and go talk to my doctor about it in more detail. Thank-you for your time and information.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Thanks for letting us know about the broken links! It was a hanging-over effect of the recent re-organisation we did. Happily it's something simple that I can fix, have done so on the "hormonal or non-hormonal?" page, fixes on the other pages to follow [Smile] )

[ 04-06-2014, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.