Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Some clarification

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some clarification
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, I have a few questions regarding the patient information leaflets you get with certain medications...

firstly, would the implant count as a 'medicine' when leaflets say medicines may interact with other medicines?

secondly, do you have any info on whether trimethoprim is an enzyme inducing antibiotic? on the NHS page about the implant it says the only antibiotics to avoid are riapficin and rifabutin, apart from that 'It's now thought the only types of antibiotic that interact with hormonal contraception and make it less effective are rifampicin and rifabutin'..."Apart from those mentioned above, all other antibiotics are not enzyme-inducing." im guessing this means trimethoprim isn't one of those, but you cant be too careful [Razz]

thirdly, when leaflets list potential interactions between medicines, do they try and list all of them? and I would have thought they would try to list the most common things people could be using, so if something like gaviscon isn't on the list, it most likely doesn't effect the implant?

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maddley, these are excellent questions to ask of your pharmacist or prescribing doctor.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so you think a pharmacist would know all about the answers to these questions?
Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is their job [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, pharmacists will know this. It's a pharmacist's job to know about medications, their interactions and ingredients.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

okay thanks [Smile] for some reason I just assumed perhaps they wouldn't be the best person to go to [Razz]

just out of interest, do you have any info on trimethoprim and the implant? when I got it last year at the hospital I said I had the implant but the lady just said I think its just back up for the next seven days and none of the other nurses who heard me say it seemed concerned, neither did the doctor soo [Razz]

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When your healthcare providers do not have a concern about interactions, you need to know that is because they do not need to.

A standard part of medical practice is checking all of these things about patients. Asking someone who is not your healthcare provider nor a pharmacist for an opinion because you do not trust or accept the advice of people much more qualified just does not make sense.

Why do you think you do not trust what the people mist educated here are telling you? And if you think this is about your anxiety, as it may well be, have you taken any more steps to get back into therapy?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silvergirl_sailing_on
Activist
Member # 110025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silvergirl_sailing_on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is possibly a little late but just to add to what has been said already and in case it is of any use to you in future- I'm a pharmacy worker (not an actual pharmacist but I do have some basic training) in Scotland and most pharmacies will have a copy of the BNF or online access to it. This is essentially a sort of dictionary/encyclpaedia type resource which lists all medications and all known and possible interactions. In the unlikely event that your pharmacist was unsure about an interaction, they would check this. It's a standardised resource for the whole of Britain, so it's the real go-to book if a healthcare professional was uncertain. I could give you some answers to some of the questions you asked earlier but I believe a pharmacist, doctor or nurse would be able to explain it a bit better. But just to reiterate what has been said before, you can trust these people, it's their job. Pharmacists have a 5 year degree at university and then further in-job training. Doctors even longer in university plus in-job training. These people know their stuff! Also, many pharmacies in Scotland have a small private area where you can go to discuss concerns with a pharmacist. If you visit your local pharmacy, I'm sure the pharmacist would be happy to sit down with you and discuss your questions and concerns. Especially since you've really done your background research! Hope you're feeling less anxious about the situation and that you got it all resolved.

--------------------
~Ciara

"Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine, all your dreams are on their way."

Posts: 40 | From: Scotland | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.