Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » What's in your safer sex kit? (also: why not make one if you don't have one yet?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's in your safer sex kit? (also: why not make one if you don't have one yet?)
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We hear a lot of reasons why people don't use condoms or other barriers during sex: that it isn't convenient, or they ran out and forget to get more, or left their big box of condoms at home when going to a partner's house.
One way to ensure that it is convenient is to keep a well-stocked safer sex kit in an easily-accessible place, whether that's a box tucked under your bed or a small bag you can throw into a purse or a backpack at a moment's notice. If you get in the habit of having supplies together in one place, it's a lot easier to remember to use them!

So! For those of you that do have a kit of some sort already, what's in it? If you don't have one, maybe you'll get some ideas and start your own.

Right now, my kit is a small pink and grey condom cozy I knitted for myself, and it includes:
  • latex condoms
  • flavored vegan condoms
  • a dental dam
  • a couple of gloves
Since I need to be able to travel with mine, I also have a small 3 oz. bottle of lube I can throw into my carryon luggage. My favorite lube doesn't come in an airplane-friendly size, so I just washed out a travel-sized shampoo bottle and filled it with the brand I like.

Other thoughts for inclusion could be some Plan B (if pregnancy is a worry for you), and both latex and non-latex condoms & gloves in case a partner has a latex allergy, and a couple of different brands or textures of lubricant.

As a bonus story: I got a side benefit from my condom case when my bag was being searched for snacks at an event I was attending. The security guard was so flustered to find condoms in my bag that he waved me in, which means he didn't find the snacks I'd hidden in an inside pocket. My dried mangoes were safe! [Smile]

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I started putting together a safer-sex kit the first time I read the suggestion right here on Scarleteen, many years ago! [Smile]

My safer-sex kit is a small, wooden treasure chest that fits nicely into my nightstand, so I have it always handy. For the most part, it contains lots of different types of condoms. My primary partner and I are always curious about condoms we haven't tried yet, so when we come across new brands, interesting colors or textures, we always just have to get them. [Smile]

Aside from that, there's a bottle of lube, some dental dams and some gloves.

And, Mo: I love the idea of a knitted condom cozy! I may try to knit one for myself as a travel-kit [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a bit outdone! I basically have a few condoms and that's it, not even a box to have them in.

That said there is a carrier bag with a couple of gloves, and lube in somewhere amongst all my crap... and other stuff I don't really use. So maybe I can have points for that.

[ 03-29-2014, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acb
Activist
Member # 108645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've come across this idea and I am super excited to get one on the go!

Right now I am in a LDR so in my safer sex kit is... 5000 miles of ocean between me and my partner. We're fluid bonded and I'm a rape survivor so when we're together I guess in our kit are two STI-free bodies, the pill and a whole lot of trust and communication. That said, I've started teaching sex ed. recently and have been teaching students how to make safer sex pleasurable and have suddenly got a real urge to experiment with barrier methods...

So in the dream kit I'm currently compiling in my head are: a couple of different kinds of condoms, female condoms (which I am desperate to try out) and a variety of lubes. (Maybe on a weekly rotation, or something?)

I am so jazzed at the idea of making this a reality. I have a hardback book which I've hollowed out as a a box for private possessions and I know exactly what's going in it as soon as my partner and I are back together.

Posts: 49 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in a previous relationship with my ex, we used a condom sampler that we bought through a website. At the time, I was prone to UTIs, and so I was very careful with what types of sexual barriers I used. I didn't like the greasy feel of latex condoms, and certain flavored ones just tasted nasty. Eventually I found one that worked for me, and I have been using that ever since: the Okamoto Beyond Seven aloe condom. Now in my current relationship, that is the only one brand that is bought...in bulk.

My safer sex kit has gotten simpler the longer I have been sexually active. In the past, I also had plan B, pregnancy tests, motion sickness pills (for the plan B), and a small sheet of paper with the numbers to STI testing clinics, Planned Parenthood, and pharmacies that carried plan B. As I became more informed about what can and cannot cause pregnancies, I slowly eased off on those things to the point where I only kept what I knew I would be using regularly. I still make sure I have enough money put aside though, for unexpected expenses like plan B, pregnancy tests, or clinical visits if the need ever arises.

I also keep lubricant around, regardless of whether or not it will be used. I've been partial to Astroglide's (or even the generic form of Astroglide) glycerin-free lubricant, even though I found out the hard way that the smaller version does not travel well on airplanes. I was lucky to have it in a plastic baggie, because it pretty much leaked out and I ended up with less than half in the bottle. [Frown] I will have to try experimenting with Mo's idea of aliquoting it out into a separate travel sized bottle with a screw top next time.

Because I live with my partner, our safe sex kit is essentially a small plastic basket kept by the side of the bed. It's primarily chockful of those wonderful green condoms, small bottle of lube, a dildo and a vibrator.

When we travel, I always make sure I grab a stash of condoms into my luggage and just keep it there. I also sneak a few into my carry-on bag, because, you know, you never know.

As for daily commute stuffs, I generally keep a couple at the bottom of my portable acupuncture kit that I carry around with me in my workbag so I can whip it out when the moment arises. My partner also keeps a few in his car, but because temperatures can get pretty condom-unfriendly, I make sure to change them out often to ensure efficacy.

What a great post, Mo!

[ 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Patricia H ]

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do laugh at myself a bit for knitting my own condom case, but it helped me get excited about practicing safer sex after a few years of not having any new sexual partners. It seemed like a fun way to get back into the mindset of using barriers and reward myself for buying some new types of condoms to try, and it did work. Plus, I got a compliment on it from my new partner when I pulled it out!
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Molias, you have inspired me to also knit a condom case! I think it's just super cool!

Ok so, I like this idea a lot. I have safe sex items in one drawer of my dresser right now, but I think I will find a little box to put them in that I might paint on!

What I do have together is:

-A small bottle of lube (partner has a regular size at his house)
-A variety of condoms
-Next Choice EC
-Spare pack of birth control pills
-Paper with phone numbers on it for my pharmacy (in case I have a question about pills) and my doctor.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.