Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control Taking Times

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Taking Times
stupidparanoia
Neophyte
Member # 108775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stupidparanoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there!

I was just wondering, do you have to take birth control (I'm on Microgynon) at a specific time as the packet says 'the same time everyday'?

It's just I started a new pack on Monday and decided for this pack I would take my pill at 9pm, however, sometimes it varies if I forget from around 8.30pm-11.30pm.

Basically, I'm only concerned because I fooled around a bit yesterday (Sunday) and I'm worried because of the time variation the pill may be ineffective so there may be a risk of pregnancy?

Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 8 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pill should be taken at around the same time every day so that the hormone levels in your body stay fairly consistent. You can choose any time you like. For the combined pill, taking it in that three-hour window every day will be absolutely fine for its contraceptive effectiveness.

Many people set an alarm for their pill time if they're concerned about forgetting it. Is that something that might be helpful for you?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stupidparanoia
Neophyte
Member # 108775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stupidparanoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read you have up to 12 hours to take it, or is that wrong?

I'm just paranoid and am even considering taking emergency contraception even though I take the pill every day...!

Posts: 8 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's at 12 hours that a combined pill is considered late, yes. An occasional pill accidentally taken a few afters after its proper time shouldn't be a problem; however, it's best to try to take them around the proper time, as that's how it's supposed to be used in order to give the full contraceptive coverage. Too, if someone's taking it at inconsistent times, it becomes much easier to lose track and start taking pills actually late or missing them altogether.

So, that three-hour window you described in your post is fine, and how the pill is meant to be taken.

If you take your pill every day, around the right time, there's no need to take emergency contraception. EC pills do the same kind of thing as your regular pills, so they won't give you any additional protection.

What do you need to help you feel less worried? For example, do you need information about how your pill works and how effective it is? Do you feel completely ready and comfortable with the sexual contact that you have?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stupidparanoia
Neophyte
Member # 108775

Yes, well within this pack I've never been later than 3 hours, and I'm on my 8th pill tonight. With other packs I've been a bit later than 3 hours but that's a completely different pack so makes no difference, right?

I've never been later than 12 hours, and with that knowledge, it makes me feel better knowing I'm definitely protected [Smile]

I'm just a worrier really, but if you do have a link to more pill info and effectiveness there's no harm in me reading up!
Thanks for your help.

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Being a bit late in previous packs will have no effect now, that's correct.

Here's some of our information for you about the pill:
Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)
How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

The leaflet in your pill pack will also have detailed information about its effectiveness and what is and isn't taking it correctly.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.