Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » IUD Mirena

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD Mirena
Eurythmics
Neophyte
Member # 108671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eurythmics         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen,

Two days ago I had surgery for the insertion of the IUD (Mirena) everything went well, other than pain once I woke up. I realize the cramping is normal for a few days and the spotting. The spotting lasted a day and half. I have a few questions that never crossed my mind when I spoke with my OB before the surgery.

When my bladder is full I find this causes me to have discomfort and my vagina achy. I remember a nurse told me something about my bladder pushing on my uterus which the IUD is, which needs to heal, so I will have cramps. Is there anything I could do that would lesson this discomfort? (I've taken tynol but I've been on pain management pills for two days now and I feel I shouldn't need them this long)

Is a slight pinching feeling normal when this pain and discomfort happens (usually when I have a full bladder)? I don't get any other pain with it, I am fine doing things, lifting, bending over is alright (sometimes it does hurt slightly and sometimes) normal and what can I do other than taking over the counter pain management?

I will admit, after the surgery I was feeling crappy, threw up from the anesthetic, and got a ride home. During the ride home I felt better, where my boyfriend was there waiting for me. I was standing fine, felt fine (cause of the heavy pain killers they gave me at the hospital) I can't remember much. Didn't do a lot. Yesterday, I should have taken it easy but I had a job interview and I was fine going. Then, I went grocery shopping with my boyfriend and lifted some heavy things (I had him carry the heavy things back) a little bit. I then made dinner and cleaned. Today, I cleaned and cooked.

I should have took it easier but things needed to get done and I felt like a log sitting or laying down doing nothing when I felt fine.

I am noticing mild headaches, which I believe the doctor or nurse (someone told me) that I could have some headaches for a bit. It's not horrible, I think it's from the lack of sleep and not resting when I should have been resting.

Anyways, have some more questions and will ask them after.

Thank You.

[ 03-20-2014, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Eurythmics ]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An IUD insertion is not really a surgery, however, just like with a surgery, you want to direct your follow-up questions and concerns after that procedure to your healthcare provider first, before going to anyone else.

Have you first followed up by calling them with these questions and concerns? If not, that's the first step before asking a second party, like us, since they have your health history, know the aftercare directions and medications they gave you (including the anesthesia, not standard to use during IUD insertions, so they will know why they even chose that route, but also how long you should expect some after-effects from it, like headaches), and would also be who you'd need to see in the event any of this sounded like something they'd want to evaluate.

[ 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eurythmics
Neophyte
Member # 108671

Hello Heather,

I followed-up with my doctors office over the weekend and saw my family physician this afternoon. I addressed my concerns, she did a pelvic exam and said everything looks good and no signs of infection. She explained I will have cramping for the next 3-6 months and to take advil when the cramps are really bad.

I just need to now learn to handle the cramping for a bit because everything is going well, the string is where it's suppose to be, and I just need to get past these 3-6 months. [Smile]

Would a hot pad around my pelvis be okay to do during cramping? Would it lessen the cramping? My doctor was saying that the muscles aren't used to a foreign object so I will experience cramping.

I wanted to confirm something what my OB told me before surgery, after my period I am safe without condom use? I had my period a week before the surgery. I had the surgery because it was hard for the OB to open my cervix in the office and she tried a few attempts which was painful and uncomfortable so she moved it to the O.R, wanted to clarify.

Thank you.

[ 03-27-2014, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Eurythmics ]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear your follow-up went well! [Smile]

Again, hopefully your OB already talked to you about ways to manage your pain, but if a heating pad or hot compress helps you, that's always okay.

In terms of when it's sound to ditch condoms, in terms of pregnancy, you have all the protection your IUD provides once it is inserted.

In terms of infections, we know that for around 3 weeks after insertion of an IUD, the risk of infections, or secondary infections, is high, so keeping with condom use during that time is generally advised.

After that, if you are in a mutually monogamous relationship that stays that way, with a partner whose recent STI testing has shown them to be clear of all the infections they can be tested for, extra risks because of the IUD are then low.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eurythmics
Neophyte
Member # 108671

Thank you for clarifying Heather. [Smile]

That is what I thought. However, we're waiting till I have my first period before having sex without the use of condoms.

I told my partner to research the IUD Mirena because I didn't want him to rely on what I told him even when he said, "I believe you," I made him read up on it while we hung out and told him after to talk to me about it. I wanted him to know what exactly what the IUD Mirena is. I believe I had stated something on the lines of, "I want you to read it before we have sex cause you need to know what it's all about since we're together and have talked about not using condoms, you have to read up on it," I think I was slightly demanding him (although I was still on some heavy duty medication from the surgery) because I remembered telling him more than once that evening which turned into, "okay before you go to bed, google, 'IUD Mirena' after talk to me about your thoughts, feelings, concerns, etc., with me."

Anyways from that he was more educated than he thought he was on the IUD itself.

I am also feeling way better, the cramping has gone away completely with a few days without cramping and a day with cramping. Not sure what's in store for when my next period is due, which is in a couple of days.

Thank you.

[ 03-31-2014, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Eurythmics ]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.