Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Antibiotics afterward?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antibiotics afterward?
OCallyDana
Neophyte
Member # 109082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OCallyDana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen staff!
I just had a quick question.
My boyfriend and I had protected sex this last Tuesday (he used condom, I'm on birth control). However, I did not pee afterward and ended up getting a UTI. It was really bad so I went in, and they told me I NEEDED to take antibiotics (doctor said it was a very bad case). However, I am aware that antibiotics lessen the effectiveness of birth control, and was wondering if I should start them now or sooner; since sperm can live for up to 5 days. (Even though we used a condom, I'm not sure if there were any that got up there since I can't see them). What should I do?
Thanks for your help. You guys are literally the best.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OCally,

You should take the antibiotics when you get them, since that will help prevent the infection from getting worse. Did you ask your doctor about the possibility of the antibiotics decreasing your pill's effectiveness?

Additionally, if you used a condom the whole time and it didn't break or slip off during sex, you can assume it did it's job and that no sperm entered your system.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OCallyDana
Neophyte
Member # 109082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OCallyDana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I told the doctor I was sexually active, he didn't seem to change his mind on the fact I should take anti-biotics.

I know for a fact the condom didn't break, and we used it the whole time; I'm just not sure if any survived despite the fact (I guess I fear really strong sperm, haha O.o)

Thank you for your advice!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most antibiotics don't affect the pill, including the ones that people are most likely to be prescribed. It's part of the doctor's job to make sure none of the medications a patient takes interfere with each other, so if you told the doctor you take the pill, the antibiotic you have should be fine. If you ever forget to ask a doctor something like this, or you're not sure of their answer, you can ask a pharmacist. Pharmacists also know which medications interact.

Even with an antibiotic that may effect the pill, it won't make a difference for any sex you already had before you started taking the antibiotic.

If you're prescribed antibiotics for an infection, it's best to take them, otherwise the infection can get worse.

Sperm can't get through condoms. They don't have little pick-axes! [Razz] It's not about whether any "survived" or not; if a condom is stored and used correctly, all the semen will be contained in the condom and none will get into or onto you.

[ 03-14-2014, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.