Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Implant - Procedure, scarring?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Implant - Procedure, scarring?
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

Quick question about the implant method of birth control. I know it is good for a number of years, it is hormone based, and there is a small surgery up front to implant the... implant [Smile]

So, how invasive is the procedure? Do they knock you out, or is a little bit of local anesthetic all they use? Will there be a mark on my arm when they are done, and if so, what will it look like? Is scarring ever an issue? Can you feel the implant after it is inserted? Are there any activities (e.i. rock wall climbing or something) that can cause you to feel it, or do you just forget it is there?

Also- how many times can you get the implant?

I ask because I have diabetes, and /sometimes/ my body doesn't like to heal all the way. If I get a bug bite on my foot, a little mark stays there for months. I had a mole removed on my back 6 years ago, and there is still a very noticeable scar (granted my doctor screwed up the sticking, but I digress). I think the implant sounds like a nice alternative for me, but if it is a big procedure that could lead to some scarring, I am not sure if it would be the best choice for me.

Also, if anyone has actually had the implant, I would love to hear what you think of it [Smile] )))

Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh whoops, I should have posted this in Safer Sex & Birth Control, sorry about that. I am not sure if someone could move it for me? Or if I can move it somehow?
Posts: 120 | From: Washington State - USA | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do have a series of articles by volunteer Karyn about her experiences with the implant, that will probably be helpful to read:
Implanon, Part 1
Implanon, Part 2
Implanon, Part 3
Some of your procedural questions are covered there. =)

As for how your diabetes might impact the healing process, I think that's something you'd have to discuss with your doctor. Our main article about the implant, found here: the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon) does say that diabetics may not be great candidates for the implant, but your doctor would be able to evaluate that with you.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just popping in to say that I'm the one who wrote that blog series, so if you have any more questions after you read that and the main article, I'm more than happy to answer them.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QueerFish
Neophyte
Member # 70039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QueerFish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! I just got the implant on the 10th of this month, and though I'm relatively able-bodied, I just wanted to give some quick feedback on how it's been affecting me, as I know I was looking around anxiously for this kind of information while researching.

They wiped my arm with some local anesthetic. There was decent bruise there for about a week and a half. Fifteen days later, there's a little bit of a red scar/scab, but it's healing nicely. You can sort of see a little pink line where the rod is, but I think it's fading. You can feel mine, but I'm not sure how much that varies doctor to doctor - mine said he put it in shallowly, so it'll be easy to take out later. Either way, it doesn't bother me, and I like creeping people out with it. So far, I haven't found it bothering me during any activities. I'm a bondage model, and I was worried that the ropes might interfere with it somehow, but two different doctors assured me that there should be no problem, so I imagine rock climbing will be fine.

I love the implant. The only side effect I've experienced so far is being hungry a lot, which is slightly annoying, but manageable, and I'm hoping it'll die down or I'll adjust soon.

Good luck [Smile]

Posts: 4 | From: East Coast | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabith
Activist
Member # 95148

Hey all!

Thanks for all the info, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you!

Here are my concerns about the implant, and the only things holding me back at this point:

1) I am trying to loose some weight to fall into a healthier range. I gained weight while at college, and I want to get back down before I start my uber stressful job in October. I already eat healthy, but I am trying to workout more and more every week. When I was on the pill (the one with estrogen in it), it made it harder for me to loose weight. That in combination with some of my other diseases (hypothyroid and diabetes) made it super hard for me to do anything but stabilize my weight. Would the hormones in the implant have an affect on this? Did either of you experience weight issues?

2) I was taken off of the pill with estrogen in it, because of a very small chance of stoke because of the one migraine I got while I was on it. I know that the implant does not have estrogen in it, but how does it make you feel vs other hormonal birth control you have used? I would get headaches and experienced some emotional plateauing from the pills I was on, along with some decrease in sexual drive. Now that I am off it, I have an increase in sexual drive, but I also get WAAAAY moodier before and during periods, which is something that the hormonal birth control helped with. Would the implant have similar affects to this, or is all of that a result of the estrogen?

3) What happens if you decide you don't like it? Is it still $400 a pop to get it inserted, and another couple hundred bucks to get it out? I am afraid that if I get it, and it makes me feel crappy, I will struggle to raise the funds to have it out. Plus dropping a a half-a third of your paycheck on something that you get out 6 months later would pretty much suck [Smile]

You guys roooooooock.

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kabith,

Just jumping in to add that these are all definitely questions you'll want to ask the provider who will be putting in the implant, especially 1 and 3, as they would have a good sense of how the implant will interact with your other diagnoses and what the removal process would entail.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.