Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Secondary BC and insurence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Secondary BC and insurence
bob135
Neophyte
Member # 109633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob135         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
My GF and I recently started having vaginal sex using condoms. We're in a long term (>1 year), monogamous relationship and have had clean STD tests, so our STI risk is low. We had a small scare after a condom leaked and are trying to find other forms of birth control. We'd like to both reduce our risk and avoid discomfort that occurs when condoms pull on hair on the penis shaft.

If we use a combo or mini-pill as the first type of BC, are there other effective secondary forms of BC besides a condom that will lower our pregnancy risk? We have A LOT of sex, if we aren't using condoms will large amounts of ejaculate change the chemistry in her vagina? With a diaphragm is there a required amount of time you should have it out to reduce the risk of infection?

Also, my GF is on her parent's insurance. Although it wouldn't be the end of the world, we'd like to avoid having her parents know we're having sex. If she gets on a physician prescribed form of BC will that show up on her parents' insurance bill or is that information confidential? How could we find this out?

Posts: 2 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bob, and welcome to the boards.

To find out more about all the different methods of birth control, you and your girlfriend could start here: Birth Control Bingo! You can find links there to our individual pages, including for cervical barriers like the diaphragm. We have links at the bottom of that page to more detailed information on other sites, too.

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
is a summary of the different possible combinations of methods.

Ejaculate does temporarily change the pH balance of the vagina. Most people don't have any health issues because of that.

The right people to ask about the insurance issue would be the insurance company themself. Your girlfriend can contact them and ask how the billing works and exactly what will show up. She can also consider whether it's an option for her to tell her parents and if that might be a better option for her than trying to keep it secret.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob135
Neophyte
Member # 109633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob135         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Redskies! I went through both pages, they have been helpful. I could not find any information on how long a diaphragm can stay in or whether it needs to be out a certain number of hours per day. Is there somewhere else I can look?

Also, are there recommended brands of spermicidal lube in the US? I've looked but haven't been able to find much.

Thank you!

Posts: 2 | From: Florida | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planned Parenthood has a good overview of using a diaphragm right here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/diaphragm-4244.htm

I'm not familiar with brands of spermicidal lube in the United States, but you can always ask a pharmacist or healthcare provider for their recommendations.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With diaphragms, you can put them in at most two hours before intercourse, and they MUST stay in for 6-8 hours afterward in order to be effective (so that's about 10 hours max of having one in).

In terms of which spermicide is the best, that depends on your preferences. If you want one that's effective immediately, then jelly is definitely the way to go. And, your choices might be limited but what you can get at the pharmacy.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.