Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Does taking a few pills later affect the effectiveness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does taking a few pills later affect the effectiveness?
worldofhacks
Neophyte
Member # 109406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worldofhacks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. I've looked around these forums for a couple of months. Basically whenever I wanted some good sex ed [Smile] anyways I've learned a lot, but I have a few questions. I want to know how safe my sex is.

I've been with my girlfriend for 16 months and we are monogamous. We try to be safe with our sex. Neither of use have STDs, so we don't use a condom, but we use the combination pill.

This month my girlfriend took 3 pills "later". Each of them between 3 and 6 hours late. Does this affect the ability of the pill to prevent pregnancy? I mean the site here says you have a 12 hour grace period but I don't know if 3 pills would make that change.

Also, I always pull out. Although we don't use a condom, I pull out and rarely ever ejaculate. Does this make for some pretty safe sex in regards to pregnancy?

I would imagine it does considering there is no sperm present and I ALWAYS make sure I urinate before sex to make sure there is no sperm leftover that could be transferred to precum.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pill is considered on time if it is taken within three hours of your pill time. So anything within three hours is perfectly fine. Taking it a few hours later or earlier than that also does not impact effectiveness - it is just recommended to stick closer to a certain time to keep you in the habit, and to make it easiest for the body.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.