Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » PROTECTED SEX / SKIPPING PLACEBO PILL / CONCERNS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PROTECTED SEX / SKIPPING PLACEBO PILL / CONCERNS
panicstrawberry
Neophyte
Member # 42840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scarleteen Staff,

I've been taking my pill everyday near the same exact time. I've been on the pill for I believe about 5/6 months now, and have a question concerning sexual relations and skipping the placebo pack on birth control.

My boyfriend and I have been very safe (have taken STD tests etc.) and use condoms, and birth control. However this upcoming weekend I'm supposed to start my placebo week of pills.. and we're celebrating our anniversary. Great timing for Miss Red, am I right? My problem is, we've had relations this month a few times (with condoms and no tears,slips etc.!) My last period cycle was OCT 23RD-26TH.

I want this weekend to go romantically...without Miss Red. My question is: Would it be safe if I skipped my period for this month and went straight into the next pack of birth control, even though we've been intimate previously this month? Would that be a pregnancy risk if I did that since I'm missing my withdrawal bleed?

Thank you for helping me out, if you need anymore information I'll be glad to say!

[ 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: panicstrawberry ]

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Panicstrawberry!

As far as I know, you will be still protected if you skip your placebo week and go into the next pack right away.

Although - just want to make a quick note - this is not something that you should do very often, as the placebo week is a period that gives your body a break from the hormones, a break that it is very much needed.

If you feel like you need more information about your pill, talking to your healthcare provider or your pharmacist is always a very good option (especially if you are going to make any change with any medicine you take.) [Smile]

[ 11-13-2013, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panicstrawberry
Neophyte
Member # 42840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh goodness yes I agree, I'm only wanting to skip this months placebo week because we're going to be intimate this weekend.. will that be safe as well? I know I'll have spotting here or there because my body is confused due to the fact it knows I'm supposed to be on my monthly, but just checking!

So it would be okay if I skipped my placebo week and head straight to the next pack? And it's alright for me to be intimate during this time as well? (condoms will be used!)

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, as far as I know you will be still protected if you go straight to the next pack and skip your placebo week (and more if you use condoms). But if you are still concerned - which is totally understandable - you might want to talk with your healthcare provider - the one that prescribed the BC- or with your pharmacist. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

This a *VERY* good article that I think you also should read:

A Very Important Note on Menstrual Suppression

[ 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.