Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control - but not sexually active

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control - but not sexually active
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So after a lot of thought, and after a break up, I've decided to abstain from sex until marriage.

However - I'm still considering getting a copper IUD.. Is that strange, or is that reasonable? I have Family PACT insurance in California - which would basically cover the IUD, and I plan on going to law school/grad school soon so I was thinking I might as well get the IUD now while it's covered since I don't know what insurance is like when I go back to school.

It's more of a safety measure and reassurance. How long does the IUD last - up to 10-12 years, right?

Just context - I'm 22 right now, and nulliparous.

What do you all think? I've thought of birth control pills too, since it would give the added benefit of an easier to track cycle/bleeding (my menstrual cycles are pretty long, usually 30-38 days). However, I'm not sure if I'm down for the hormones.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sunday Morning,

You can of course choose to go on whatever birth control method you and your healthcare provider decide is best for you. Since both of the methods you're talking about need to be prescribed by a healthcare provider, how about making an appointment with one so you can ask these questions and discuss your options? A healthcare provider will be able to take your health history into account, as well as your current needs, in helping you choose which method would be best for you.

I confess I'm a little confused here though. You say that you're deciding to abstain from sex (i'm presuming you mean intercourse) until marriage, but are feeling like you need the security of birth control. Are you thinking you might change your mind? It's perfectly okay if your decisions aren't set in stone. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - it's because it may not totally be set in stone, haha. I'd rather just get it now when I know it's practically free for me. Family PACT is amazing here in Cali.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes perfect sense. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Family PACT and other programs like it are SO great, I agree. We have a similar one here in WA. [Smile]

I also agree that when and if we have access to programs like this and know we do or soon will want a given method we can get with them, it does make sense to go ahead and do that while we have access. Especially with a method that can be so costly at the outset, like an IUD. And yep, a copper-T IUD lasts around a decade.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Sounds great! I talked about birth control today at Planned Parenthood, and scheduled an appointment for next week!
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Sounds great! I talked about birth control today at Planned Parenthood, and scheduled an appointment for next week!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.