Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Vomited Combination Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vomited Combination Pill
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for explosions12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I threw up my combination pill Lutera last night about 20 minutes after I took it. The last time I had unprotected sex was Sunday night 3/3/13. I will not be having sex until two weeks from now. I am wondering if that time I had sex on Sunday will still cause a chance of pregnancy?

I am going to resume my pill for tonight at the same time. Do I need to use a condom the whole time or can I just wait for 7 days to get back on track?

Posts: 15 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you back up that pill with another?

If not, then that's what you want to do ASAP, then take your pill tonight as usual, in addition.

We always advise backing up methods with condoms, period, but if you make up that missed pill now -- or already did -- then the effectiveness of your pill probably won't be compromised at all or, if it is, won't be bumped down to anything besides the typical use rate, which most pill users are generally at anyway..

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for explosions12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not want to back it up with my normal pack because then I figured I would be one pill short. I took a pill from an old pack of the same brand like 30 minuted ago I found that had expired but I didn't know what else to do. I thought I can take that and just take my normal pill (sunday's) tonight. What should I do?
Posts: 15 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that pill was from an expired pack, then by all means, that may not do anything for you. Expired medications should be thrown away, not used, since they not only may not be effective, but sometimes (not so much with BCPs, but other medications) aren't safe to take anymore once they are past that date.

For future reference, think of expired meds as being like expired food: to throw away, not to save to eat.

So, what you do instead, if you don't have an extra pack to borrow from -- that hasn't expired -- for situations like this, is to take a pill from your current pack, and then just make sure you have your next pack (if you don't already) before it's time for that last pill you'll be short. So then, you just take that pill from the *next* pack.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

But then I will always be short. I will have to use one pill from a new pack and then be another pill short on that month. I'm confused.

I am not currently having sex like I said before, and the last time I had sex was on the 3rd. Will I still have a chance of getting pregnant from that past encounter? That is all I really care about.

Heather
Member # 3

Ideally? The best plan is to just have one extra pack of pills for situations like this.

So, next time you get refills, you can ask your doctor or pharmacist about that, and let them know you're one short in the pack now and see if they'll give you an extra.

Otherwise, you just always make your last pill in a pack your first of the next pack. Having to do that certainly beats becoming pregnant if being pregnant isn't something you want, right?

Missing any pills in a pack can, indeed, put you at risk for any sex in that cycle. It's not highly likely for sex last week to still pose a risk today, but the whole rest of your pack might be less effective.

When you miss a pill, you need to make it up. That's simply the way to use the pill properly, which you need to do to have it remain effective.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

explosions12
Neophyte
Member # 95105

So do I take another pill now and another tonight at my normal time? I already took the expired one and it might still be effective...then that means I took 3 pills in one day. Is that bad?
Heather
Member # 3

You know, given you already took an expired medication, my very best advice would be to call the pharmacy where you get your pill and ask the pharmacist on duty for THEIR advice at this point.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.