Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Silicone based lubricants?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silicone based lubricants?
nat1018
Neophyte
Member # 102268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nat1018     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to find a good lubricant to use during sex, and I'm wondering if a silicone based lubricant might be better for me.

I know water based is the safest/has the least interactions with condoms and toys, but I don't really have to worry about that. BC pills are my source of birth control, and I'm in a monogamous relationship where both of us have had all the tests to make sure we're healthy! We've also never added toys to the mix, and I don't use lubricant when I masturbate, so there isn't really a chance for interactions.

Currently I used a water based lubricant, but it gets really sticky after a bit, and tends not to help the soreness that's sometimes brought on by the friction of sex. I don't like that I have to keep adding more lube, or some kind of water. It gets frustrating! xD

Are there any risks to using silicone based lubricants? What are some good brands to try? What are your personal preferences? I just need any info I can get.

Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi nat1018,

Silicone lubricants are fine. When people talk about reactions, they're generally talking about the lubricants bonding to other things made of silicone and making those things (toys generally) feel and look damaged. They're even fine to use with latex condoms. I'm not sure if they bond with non-latex condoms--need to look that up.

It's not as easy to clean up as water-based lubricant, and definitely has a different feel. The only way to know if you like it is to try it. Most brands are good and since I'm based inthe U.S. and dont know if you are, I wouldn't know what to recommend you look for.

If you can find samples or small bottles that will allow you to try out different brands and see what you like.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nat1018
Neophyte
Member # 102268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nat1018     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from the US, so thinks would probably be the same. But thank you, that definitely helps!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.