Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Need to be talked through this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to be talked through this
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 9 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read lots of information on here, but I guess I just need someone to walk me through it.

I've been on birth control pills for around 6 months now. In that time period of 6 months, I've only missed one pill and I followed protocol and took it as soon as I remembered (I take them at 10PM and took the pill the following morning around 9AM). We always back up with condoms every time, and about a week later I got my withdrawl bleed so I know it didn't cause a problem.

I take my pill every day and the latest I've been was 3 hours late. Now, all of the sudden I am having bad headaches, very sore breasts, extreme fatigue and some mild stomach cramps. I just took my first placebo pill in the pack last night and my period should arrive tomorrow. I wouldn't normally be scared because I feel good about my birth control methods and realize they are as effective as possible. However, now that I am having this symptoms I am worried. I don't normally have headaches or fatigue this extreme with PMS.

I haven't been aware of any condom mess ups but I'm paranoid one broke or slipped and no one realized it. My boyfriend hasn't said anything to me about it. So I guess my question is, have I done something wrong that could result in a pregnancy? I try to be as careful as possible with birth control but I have taken it a few hours late this cycle. Just need someone with a clear head to walk me through it! Thanks.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen.

The symptoms you describe can be from a lot of other things besides pregnancy, including stresss or illness.

a condom breaking is very noticeable...it splits or shreds.

Nothing you're saying here is setting off alarm bells. It sounds like you have a good handle on your birth control. [Smile]

If these symptoms persist beyond a few days, it would be a good idea to check in with your health care provider. Pregnancy is unlikely based on what you've described. It's good to get unusual symptoms checked out if they don't go away on their own.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help!

I guess that in my mind, I know these things but it always helps to hear them from someone else. While I realize that no birth control is 100%, I try to get as close to that 100% as possible. I've read up on the buddy system and know that is is even more effective. I guess I am just concerned because of these symptoms, since I usually do not worry about pregnancy.

So I guess I have one more question...effectiveness of birth control is not reduced unless it is beyond the 12 hour mark? I am also currently not on any antibiotics, haven't been vomiting or taking anything that should coincide with the birth control.
Sorry for the repetitive questions...just double checking for peace of mind [Smile]

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're taking a combination pill, then yes, you have a twelve-hour grace period in which to catch up on taking a pill if you don't take it on time. The ideal is to take it as close to on time as possible.

Birth control pills have been shown to be 99% effective with perfect use, and 92% effective with typical use. Typical use would include occasional missed or late pills. Of course, these are just numbers and there's no way to really measure an individual person's chances of getting pregnant. All anyone can do is take their pills as consistently as they can.

Do you find yo u have trouble taking your pills on time? Many Scarleteen users find it helpful to set an alarm as a reminder.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I set an alarm too, because I would forget if I didn't.

The problem I have is remembering to take them with me if I'm going to be out late. Is it ok to store them in a purse or school bag? Lately I have been at school until late at night preparing for finals and forget to bring them.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's absolutely okay to store them in a purse or bag, especially if that will help you take them on time. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Thanks for all your help [Smile]
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Update:

No period yet, and normally I would have had it by now. Trying to tell myself the day isn't over. Still having sore breasts and cramps off and on. Panicking but trying to make myself calm.

CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Period arrived a day late, but none the less, arrived!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.