Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Oral Sex without Condoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral Sex without Condoms?
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How risky is oral sex without a condom if my boyfriend never ejaculates anywhere near my mouth or vagina/vulva? I usually give him oral sex until he is about to ejaculate and then just do it with my hands because he and I don't want any ejaculate near me or in my mouth. I'm worried though, because I see everywhere it says you can be at high risk for an STD if you don't use a condom...

[ 12-25-2011, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Anna284 ]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The riskiness of unprotected sex of any kind depends not only on what you do, but on whether you have both been tested and know each other's disease history. If you know that you both don't have any diseases, and can trust that you're each telling the other the truth, then the risk goes down considerably.

That said, yes, you can get an STI from oral-genital contact. Many STIs are transmitted through fluid (for example, ejaculate) but some can be transmitted just through contact. And it's not just about your boyfriend giving you a STI. The best example of this is the oral form of Herpes which can be transferred to genitals during oral sex. you can read about Herpes more here:
The Sti Files: Herpes
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/infection/the_sti_files_herpes

I have a few more links here for you to look at. Ultimately you and your boyfriend can use this information to make the informed decisions that work best for you.

Misconception Mayhem: Separating STI Myths From Facts
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/infection/misconception_mayhem_separating_sti_myths_from_facts

Are Condoms Really Necessary for Oral Sex?
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/are_condoms_really_necessary_for_oral_sex

STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/sti_risk_assessment_the_cliffs_notes

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the STI files on the site and it seems like I really need to get educated about this. I hear so much about pregnancy scares- why is STI testing so much less common? Is it because some of the diseases physically manifest themselves less obviously? Is herpes the only one that doesn't manifest itself in the genital area, if at all?
Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a big question, but I'm happy to talk about it.

It's safe to say that most people think pregnancy is just a way bigger deal than STIs. And that makes some sense: it is in one very big way -- in the sense that it is potentially creating a whole other person, and a person who is/will be dependent on you in every way for a long time. However, in other ways, it matters a lot. Like, not getting treated when we have an STI can seriously impact our health. A couple STIs can actually kill us, especially without treatment. STIs can also make other people sick, etc.

STI testing isn't less common on the whole, it's that fewer people get tested than should. Some of that is about lack of access, but more of it is about stigma and a lack of education, or even a lot of denial: like testing means someone has to face it's a real risk.

Those two paragraphs are a SERIOUSLY small summary of the issues around this, but are sound places to start.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'doesn't manifest in the genital area." Most STIs, most of the time, are asymptomatic, especially early on: in other words, don't show any noticeable symptoms or result in a person feeling like they have an illness or an STI specifically.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.