Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Mirena!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mirena!
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im scheduled to get the Mirena put in next week!! Kinda nervous! Anyone who has had this done have any advice!!
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very best advice I can give is to do your best to choose a provider who is skilled with insertion.

If you have already done that, and have also discussed any concerns with them, and been honest about your health and sexual history as need be, besides following aftercare instructions to the letter (like practicing safer sex for at least three weeks afterwards), there's really nothing to do to prepare for an IUD insertion.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK now im VERY bummed! I just got word that my insurance will not cover the procedure and I'm sure as to the cost of it [Frown]
Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a bummer! You may have other options though - Title X clinics (like Planned Parenthood) offer sliding scale fees for their services, so there might be a clinic near you where you could have the insertion done for a lower cost.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Im hoping I can get one put in at planned parenthood! im going to call them tomorrow!!
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed that it works out for you. [Smile]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

[Frown] Went to Planned Parenthood today and although it would've been cheaper to get it there, it is still way too expensive [Frown] $1100 at the doctors office and $900 at PP [Frown]
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Now i dont know what I am going to do for birth control
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that didn't work out well for you! That's a big bummer about the cost. There's not way they can go lower at Planned Parenthood since it's not covered by your insurance and you can't afford that amount? $900 still seems crazy high!

In the meantime, you can check out this article to see if there are any other methods that might work for you: Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woohoo
Neophyte
Member # 47032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woohoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you looked into payment plans?

http://www.mirena-us.com/having-mirena-placed/mirena-coverage.jsp

Posts: 5 | From: CA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

My husband's income looks really high because it doesnt factor in all the money for bills and mortgages and stuff [Frown] I will have to look into that!
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

How do you sign up for the payment plan?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ask PP if they offer any payment plans?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

No! I guess I didnt even think about it

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.