Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » delayed periods after stopping pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: delayed periods after stopping pill?
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped taking Yaz in March because it was giving me terrible migraines. I had fairly regular periods in April and May after coming off it (my period came 21 days after my last in April, then 27 days after that in May). Both were fairly off though. My period in April was super light and lasted 2 days. My period in May lasted 5 days and alternated between SUPER heavy with painful cramps to so light it was basically nonexistent and back and forth. It's been 42 days since the start of my period in May. I'm supposed to start taking orthtricyclen-lo as soon as I get my next period.

I have had protected (with condoms) sex since then that I'm not really worried about. There was once instance 38 days ago (while I was still on my period) where a guy was inside me unprotected, for maybe no longer than a minute. I posted about that incident in another thread. I've taken three pregnancy tests since then, all of which were negative. I'm planning to take another one on Monday just to be sure. Like I said, I posted all of this in another thread, I'm just putting it here for clarification for my question here.

My question is, is it normal to have fairly normal periods for the first months after stopping the pill, then have them be delayed? I always figured it would be delayed immediately. I'm trying to have a "think horses not zebras" approach to this, meaning that if I'm not pregnant, it's probably delayed from coming off the pill. And also, do I need to wait until I get my period before I start the orthotricyclen-lo? I honestly have NO idea when my period is going to start. I feel like I've been having "PMS" symptoms for about 2 and a half weeks now (I've been feeling a lot more irritable than usual, and I've had mild cramps for quite a few days) but I feel like my PMS never lasts this long. I have no idea. Any advice?

(Sorry for the long post, I just want to clarify my situation)

Posts: 23 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, quitting birth control can affect your periods for a few months to come. It can take the body a while to get back into the swing of things.

Your approach here is pretty sound: you can rule out pregnancy since you've had three negative tests, and quitting birth control pretty much always causes some late or wierd periods.

I would recommend waiting for your next period to start your new pill. That's easiest on your body, and it'll assure that you are protected sooner. But ultimately, it's up to you: you can also start right now if you don't want to wait.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know. I'm gonna take another test on Monday just to be absolutely sure, barring that somehow those three negative tests I took were somehow flukes. But like, if I were pregnant I'd be about 6 weeks along now. Wouldn't I be fairly symptomatic by now, like throwing up and changes in the way things taste and smell and whatnot? I mean, it was a week after my period was late that I took the last test, which was 5 weeks after the incident and it was negative. Like, if it is the case that I'm pregnant, I REALLY need to know, and be confident with knowing.
Posts: 23 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a woman starts to experience pregnancy symptoms, and which symptoms she experiences, is very individual. So, trying to gauge whether you're pregnant based on that really isn't going to help.

Pregnancy tests are a much, much more reliable way to tell. And you've had three negative tests by no, so there's really no reason to worry anymore.

[ 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samarie
Neophyte
Member # 55748

got my period today! i'm filling my prescription immediately! NEVER AGAIN is this going to happen!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.