Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » How to ask my grandmother for birthcontrol?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to ask my grandmother for birthcontrol?
Member # 58098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichelleFerguson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live with my grandmother only. I have brought up birthcontrol several times for both menastrative and sexual reasons, but she has always changed the subject or say she'll bring me to the docter to see what we should do, but purposely never get around to making an appointment. Well, I recently had a terrible pregnancy scare. I had been worried for a whole entire month, and it was terrible stressful and a all together horrible experience. I don't want to have another one, and this last one opened my eyes and I have realized I really do need it or I will, no question about it, will become pregnant without it at some point in time. The last time I asked her, her exact words were, "The only reason I don't really want to give you birthcontrol is because I'm scared you'll go and screw everyone." Which was pretty offensive, btw. She really isn't hard to convince, I think if I ask enough and hard enough she will let me get the Depo shot. All I want to know is how to go about it?
Posts: 1 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 59862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danielle766     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing to do would be to sit your grandmother down and explain to her your reasons for wanting birth control. Most importantly, I think it will be best to make her understand that birth control will not enable you to "screw everyone". If the talk doesn't work then you can buy your own birth control for free or at a low price from a Planned Parenthood near you. On a side note, birth control shouldn't be your only form of protection. Sexually Transmitted Diseases(HIV, Chlamydia, Herpes)aren't prevented by birth control, but through consistent and correct use of polyurethane or latex condoms.
Posts: 3 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.