Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » I don't know which one to use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't know which one to use
Lady
Neophyte
Member # 41249

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently started to be sexually active and although I was on the pill, I decided to come off it because it was giving me bad headaches and making me gain weight. So we used condoms instead.
So far condoms have been very successful but I don't like the feel of them, and having to make sure we carry it around all the time just in case, or it slips and gets uncomfortable, and we have to stop and change them, etc... in general it's just very disruptive. So I wanted to think about using another form of birth control for us.

By the way, my boyfriend doesn't complain about it or anything, he says what ever birth control we use is up to me, so there is no pressure from him. And I realise that without condoms we have to get checked up for STI's regularly which I'm totally okay with.

So here's the problem, I hear some of the methods out there affect fertility in women. Like when they came off it after a long time they weren't able to get pregnant. I know it takes a while after, but even after a long time they just couldn't. And that's one thing I really don't want.

Could anyone suggest a good birth control method besides condoms and pills? (and abstinence lol).

Thank you. [Smile]

--------------------
Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile, and finds in your presence that life is worthwhile, so whenever you're lonely remember this is true, somebody somewhere, is thinking of you :)

Posts: 23 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this article yet?
Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady
Neophyte
Member # 41249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh thank you! I was looking for something like that but on the other thread the links didn't work. [Smile]

--------------------
Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile, and finds in your presence that life is worthwhile, so whenever you're lonely remember this is true, somebody somewhere, is thinking of you :)

Posts: 23 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got any questions about methods -- including those you're currently using, for instance, if you're feeling condoms, you may not be using them right, and the pill doesn't actually cause weight gain -- after reading that, just let us know! Happy to help walk you through it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.