Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control
SaraM
Neophyte
Member # 37525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SaraM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Aviane 28 day pill. I normally start my pills on a Sunday, and then get my period on a Wednesday during my sugar pill week.

I am currently on my period now, and I want to change my start date so that my period starts on a Monday instead. Can I start taking my pills tomorrow, Friday, in order to change the date?

Posts: 15 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shortening the placebo period will not impact your pills effectiveness: only shortening the active pill period will.

So, it's only to do that, but just know that may or many not change what day of the week you get your withdrawal bleed on. Just because so far, if you start the placebos on Sunday, you bleed on Wednesday doesn't mean if you start on Friday, you'll bleed on Monday.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can change your pill start date by starting your active pills tomorrow, but unfortunately there's no guarantee that your period will change along with it. It might work, but since our bodies aren't machines, things might not happen exactly as planned. It's hard to predict.

Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer. I hope this helps a bit anyway.

(Edit: oops, Heather beat me to it!)

[ 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaraM
Neophyte
Member # 37525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SaraM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay thank you! I was never on an exact schedule before i started the pill, it was only once i got on the pill that my period starting regularly starting on Wednesday and finishing on Sunday, which is why i thought that changing the pill date would just move my period accordingly!
Posts: 15 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could, it just also might not. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.