Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » starting ortho tri- cyclen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: starting ortho tri- cyclen
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppyseed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yay ! i survived my appointment at planned parenthood and got my first birth control ever. it went very smoothly (: i just have a few questions. the dr. told me that i could start taking the pills today, so I did. the first day of my last period was just November 12. Was my dr. right in saying I could start today even though it isn't the first day of my period, NEITHER the sunday after I got my period? What's the difference of waiting for these times, rather than doing what I did and taking it right when I got them? Thanks a bunch ! (:
Posts: 95 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of reasons it's advised to start on one of those two days. First, it tends to mean less cycle weirdness and breakthrough bleeding or spotting. Secondly, if you start either the first day of your period or do a Sunday start, the pills will most likely be fully effective after the first week - if you start at any other time, you will need to wait the full first pack before relying on them alone for contraception. (Although, it's really a good idea to wait the first full month no matter when you start, just to be on the safe side and to give yourself time to get into the habit of taking a pill at the same time every day.)

Make sense?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppyseed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, makes sense. Thanks ! So do you know typically what are the main differences I'm going to experience since I didn't take it on one of those two days? Minus having to wait until the full pack rather than 7 days.
Posts: 95 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohmyohmyyy
Neophyte
Member # 45240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohmyohmyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, if you take it on the first day of your period, the birth control packages say that you will be fully protected from the time you take the pill. Taking it at any other time, you're supposed to wait a week before you rely on the pill as your sole method of contraception.

However, it's definitely advisable that you use backup protection during the first month, since everyone's body reacts differently to pills and the birth control may not be effective even after the first week.

As someone who generally starts a pack the first day I get them, I have noticed some hormonal, PMS like mood swings and a bit of spotting. These should ease up after the first couple months as your natural cycle aligns with your pill and might not even happen to you at all.

Good luckkkk!

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

thanks so much ! i'm still very new to this birth control thing haha

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.