Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Getting Birth Control from Planned Parenthood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting Birth Control from Planned Parenthood
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppyseed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have made an appointment at my local planned parenthood because I'm interested in getting birth control, and this is my first time. They told me that I would need a full examination and I am trying to get pricing from them and they said it ranged from $70-$150 because I told them I would not have any insurance. Is this the customary price range? And this isn't even including the actual birth control pills does it? What can I also expect out of this examination? I'm nervous but I want to get birth control and I'm wondering if I'll have to keep going back to the clinic for check-ups and all of that. Obviously my parents do not know about me getting birth control because they would not approve, but I want to be safe. Please share some advice thank youu
Posts: 95 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is fairly typical pricing for PP in my experience/knowledge. That's also still very inexpensive for a full exam with STI tests anywhere.

However, if you're uninsured in the United States, have you applied for medicare/medicaid? Or looked into your local public health clinics? Because if that isn't affordable for you (and I understand, I haven't had insurance since the 80's), chances are good you may have other, more affordable options. Some states even have specific reproductive health/family planning programs where this care, and birth control, is free.

Per what to expect in your exam, here's a good link to get an overview: Your First Gynecologist Visit.

In terms of going back, ideally what any of us wants to do is get regular sexual health exams around once a year: more often if we switch partners more often than that, less often if we are and remain monogamous (and our partner does, too) and in good health and don't have any problems.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppyseed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah I was wondering if the clinic would want me to come back just to check up on me and how the pills are working. I was wondering how the process went like if I got by exam done, we would then discuss what birth control options are right for me and if I choose birth control pills, would they give me a year supply or a month supply?? I guess it all depends on what they offer right? Because if it was a year supply I expect that I wouldn't have to go back to PP until I need a refill. Same, for if it was less.
Posts: 95 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are that if you get an exam first, unless you have any problems, you won't need to go back for another year. But not every clinic has the same policies, so that's something to ask about directly.

I also can't know how long a supply of any method they'll give you: that's something else to ask.

You can certainly call in and ask these questions by phone before you go in, if you like.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

I tried asking these questions when I made my appointment on the phone the other day, but the receptionist sounded like she was busy and didn't want to keep answering my questions, so I figured I'd just wait until my appointment and ask there. But, I am reading through some other posts and see that some people are getting birth control pills free from planned parenthood. So, there is a possibility that after my exam (which can be from $70-$150) I might be able to get the pills for free? But if not, I'd have to pay whatever the pills cost plus the additional exam cost?
Heather
Member # 3

I'm sorry the receptionist blew you off: that's not cool.

There is absolutely a possibility. But again, you might also want to look into public health in your state/area, too, as you may be able to get BC and sexual healthcare for even lower costs or for free. If you also don't have any insurance, if you can get into public health that also can give you general healthcare you may need sometimes, too.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

Ah okay I will do some research on that. Part of it is that I have insurance with my parents, but I do not want to use their insurance because they will get billed, so without them I have no insurance. They said that they generate the prices on a sliding scale based on income, but what if I do not currently have a job? I am a college student right now so I am busy with school and I am currently looking to become employed soon hopefully, but I am currently jobless ): I have saved up some money for this though. Oh p.s. do you suppose that they will allow me to pay in cash? sorry for all these questions ! D:
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

OH-- also is my boyfriend allowed to come with me and just wait in the waiting area or something because none of my other girlfriends are available.
poppyseed
Activist
Member # 41477

last question i promise ! i think! lol but if i get a pap smear during my exam, will i have to wait for the results in order for me to get my birth control pills after my appointment? because i'm going to be back at school and won't be able to make another appointment until i'm back home which won't be for another 3-4 weeks :/
Heather
Member # 3

Again, you're mostly asking about clinic policies here, which vary all over the place from clinic to clinic. So, these are questions to ask this particular clinic.

They SHOULD be willing to answer them for you, so my suggestion would be to call back and be assertive. Don't let them blow you off.

But in general, you should be able to have anyone you want with you in the waiting room of clinics as long as they have ID, paying in cash should not be an issue at all, and you will not usually have to wait for pap results to get hormonal methods, since cervical cancer or other cervical cell issues does not mean someone can't use hormonal methods or is at higher risks with them.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.