Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » BC for Various Reasons?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC for Various Reasons?
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Confused One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heavy periods and painful cramps. I PMS really badly (I seem to get in people's bad shoes a whole lot during my periods). I'm also 17, and obviously have never been pregnant. Actually, never had sex lol. My bf suggested the IUD BC and I've been reading about it. However,

1) I've been recruited into National Service next year. I'm not the most fit person in the world, infact, I'm probably one of the most unfit. So having periods and cramps while marching and doing heavy physical activities, is not high on my list. The NS is 3 months and depending on the batch I'm put in... well, I'll only go for batch 1 which is from Jan to March anyway.

2) I don't know if being in Malaysia is gonna affect getting an IUD or any kind of BC for that matter.

3) I didn't want anything that affects my hormones, but apparently the copper IUD gives heavier periods and cramps? If so, I definitely do not want that.

4) If I DO get an IUD, what is the average time to get used to it? I know I'll be having cramps after insertion, but how long will it last? Really don't want cramps during camp...

5) I don't think I've been to a GYN before... At least, not that I can remember. Never had BC before either. Never used tampons (I only just found out last Sunday that Malaysia DOES indeed sell tampons o.O), mum won't let me anyway.

6) I don't want something that I have to remember to take or do. I don't have the best memory and I hate pills.

Overall, I've no idea what to choose or even if I should do BC x.x

EDIT: Oh btw, my period started when I was 10 years old. If that has to do with anything...

[ 11-02-2010, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: The Confused One ]

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Posts: 131 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello [Smile]

You have a range of questions and probably the best place to start is with your doctor or gynaecologist. From looking online, it appears you do have access to a full range of hormonal and non-hormonal birth control options in Malaysia (except for diaphragms). This article explains the risks and benefits of various options-
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/birth_control_bingo

How comfortable are you talking to your mum about birth control? If needed, you could just say that you'd like to see a gynaecologist to help manage your heavy periods before you enter the NS.

If having trouble finding healthcare, I'd recommend calling the family planning association to find out your nearest centre-
http://www.ippf.org/en/Where/my.htm

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Confused One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely close to my mum. But I will talk to her about getting it. I just want to know more about this and if there is a method that I should use more than the others. Afterall, approaching my parents with info is better than without =/

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

Posts: 131 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest that you go and see your regular Dr. to start with and/or call their office for a referral to a gynecologist. Your Dr. is a great place to start because they already know you and your medical history. I hear you saying that you are looking for something to help you with your PMS, this would most likely involve some form of medication. There is the Mirena IUD, which is hormonal, and the Dr should know about its availability. Please donít down play the many other forms of BC that are available, your conversations with your Dr. should help you find what will best match your needs.

Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Erm... what if I don't have a regular doctor? o.o My medical history is sort of scattered around lots of clinics, mainly because my mum's previous company that she worked for had medical insurance for the family that is supported in many different clinics. Now that she's working with another company, I'm not so sure about clinics...

Especially since she only started working with the new company this year and I don't often go to the doctor...

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think that you might ok with asking your parents about seeing a Dr about the pain you are suffering? After all, this is an honest medical concern by itís self. You could wait to say something about the BC when you actually see the Dr. You might also want to ask at the Drís office/clinic if you could have a private examination with out your Mom.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Hmm, good idea... I'll ask about that. Is it okay if my mum brings me to her Gyn, though? After some thought, I think that's probably what she'll do. Afterall, she had a surgery with him and came back alive, I suppose theres the trust there...

But then, what if she starts asking questions? My parents tend to be REALLY nosy >.<

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

If you're also comfortable seeing her Gyn, that should be fine. As Dan says, it sounds better if you can have a private consultation without your mum present though. The doctor should keep everything you discuss confidential without telling your parents about it.

In answer to her questions, you can talk about wanting to manage your painful heavy periods. This is one of the most common reasons for a young woman to see her gyn.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

My mum would find it weird that I wanna talk to the Gyn in private though. I don't like doctors and have always wanted her to do the talking >.>

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

If you're 17, probably getting to the end of high school, it would be fairly typical for you to start seeing doctors by yourself. Not just for gynaecology checks but for any reason. Doing the talking yourself can be really empowering and also gives you the chance to ask all of these questions about birth control and your health.

--------------------

Audre Lorde

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

True. I just hope she won't be too nosy about it and just brushes it off as me finally wanting to be independent *is not, blush*

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

eryn_smiles has some good ideas! Staying focused on managing your periods and wanting to start taking more responsibility for your own wellbeing should be acceptable for your mom. Here is an article that may help you relax; by knowing what you might expect at your appointment. Good Luck! I know you should be fine.

Your First Gynecologist Visit

--------------------
Dan

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Hmm, interesting. Strangely, I don't feel nervous about anything o.O Must be my weird self-esteem. Is it okay to go at the end of my period? I'm thinking of trying this Sat if we don't have any plans.

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Yes, it's ok to go at the end of your period. Hope it goes well!

--------------------

Audre Lorde

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

-.-

I just called my mum to ask about it, since she's at work, and she said no. No idea how I'm gonna do this now. She even said it's because to visit a doctor itself is a 100 over dollars. I hate it when my parents say no to everything just because they don't like the price

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Hmm that's difficult! There must be some access to free or subsidised healthcare though. Is it free for you to attend a hospital outpatient service?

--------------------

Audre Lorde

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

I've no idea. It's rare that I need to see a doctor in a hospital, and pretty uncommon that I even see a doctor at a clinic. I can't do this on my own either, as my parents are strict and I'm pretty much stuck at home all day long while they're at work all day long... Basically, being grounded without being grounded... if that made sense.

Not a very strong bond going around because of their absence all day. Add church and sunday school to that and I only have Sat to bond with my mum... of which she spends her time sleeping all day cause she's always so busy on other days... Sorry for ranting >.>

Oh btw, she says that going to a Gyn is only when you have an abnormal problem and having heavy periods is not abnormal, etc... -.-

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Do you have a school nurse? They may know of some low cost/free options or resources to get checked by a Dr.

--------------------
Dan

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

No. I'm not in a fully private or fully governmental school. Actually, I doubt Malaysian schools have their own nurses. What I just don't understand is why she wouldn't even try to find a cheaper doctor. I mean, it IS my health we're talking about! I get the feeling that she's pushing everything to religion now -.- "Oh, I know someone who can heal your rashes by prayer! Lets go meet her tomorrow!" "No. Doctors are expensive, blahblahblah"

My reaction: Whut... -.-

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

I have just reached out to a Malaysian women's health organization to see if they could provide some referals for you to try. If you want, I could give you their contact information; just let me know. I will let you know if I hear something.

--------------------
Dan

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

The only contact info I can use atm would be email. A number won't do me much good as my parents would be monitoring any phone calls made and received.

But thank you. Thank you so much. I didn't even know we had such an organization here.

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Unfortunately, my email was kicked back as not valid. Who knows when their site was last updated. You may want to try searching 'women's health' online too. I'll let you know if I find anything.

--------------------
Dan

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Would you also like to contact this organisation?
Federation of Reproductive Health Associations of Malaysia (FRHAM) is a member of the International Planned Parenthood Foundation. They may be able to direct you to subsidised care.
Email: frham@frham.org.my

--------------------

Audre Lorde

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

lol, I'm not surprised Dan. I'll try that, Eryn. Thanks again guys. Was a bit lost for a while there

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Erm... I just realised that I don't know what to type *unsure*

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

If you are referring to the email, I would suggest that you say that your are looking for a clinic in your area that offers low cost or free womenís' health care exams. Also let them know that you are a 17 yr old student with out parental support financially. You don't need to tell them any more than that to start with.

--------------------
Dan

The Confused One
Activist
Member # 48587

Oh okay! Thanks [Big Grin]

--------------------
Wheeeeeeee!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.