Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condom Sizing Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom Sizing Issue
Marita
Neophyte
Member # 49222

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Marita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend's penis is strangely shaped and we are having trouble finding condoms that are comfortable. The base is about 3/4 of an inch wider than the head and the shaft is about 7 inches long (when erect). All the condoms we've bought we haven't been able to unroll them all the way (they've been much too long) and they have rolled back up a little, making it really easy for them to slip off. When they do stay on, they are so tight at the base of his penis that they make it completely impossible for him to come and actually hurt him. Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? Thanks in advance!

--------------------
That which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Posts: 1 | From: Autin | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms generally are not going to roll down all the way -- per having all of their length used up -- on any size penis. The only time I've ever personally seen a condom rolled all the way out is when I've done presentations where I put it on my arm. [Smile]

But it does sound like your boyfriend could stand to try a condom that's wider at the base: if the condoms are rolling back up and he's having pain when they're on, that suggests the condoms are too narrow for him. larger-sized condoms aren't larger in terms of length, but per the base. have you tried any of those styles?

As well, the female condom has a base wider than pretty much any penis, so those might also be something you want to try out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autisticmajor
Neophyte
Member # 49917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autisticmajor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The condoms that I have seen all say 53mm on the package. That's about 2.1 inches. I think this means the width. Does it?
Posts: 16 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condom sizes vary, but generally brands note what measurements are for width, or the ring size, and for length.

But 53mm is considerably smaller than the usual length of condoms (which usually ranges from around 180 - 210mm), so if that's the measurement you're seeing, you can be sure that's about width, not length.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autisticmajor
Neophyte
Member # 49917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autisticmajor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clearing this up. I was worried that this meant they were too small (they are rather tight). I bought Trojan Her Pleasure condoms, fyi. They were on sale.
Posts: 16 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

If it turns out that size doesn't feel right for you width-wise, you still have a good range. Width sizes generally range anywhere from 50mm to close to 70mm.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.