Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » BCP Dilemma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BCP Dilemma
DemeterA
Activist
Member # 31674

Icon 8 posted      Profile for DemeterA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have been on loestrin 24 fe and i had bad cystic acne and general depression and mood swings so my dr. switched me to Yaz. I have used Yaz before loestrin for the past 4 years and had good experience with it.

but when i filled my prescription i got the new generic of yaz, Gianvi. I did some research and read nothing but horrible, horrible thing about this pill. i have been taking it about 3 days and already I have some breakouts and my mood has gotten increasingly worse. so i am not taking gianvi anymore!

but i do not know if i will be able to have brand name yaz because of my insurance. according to my ins. i should be able to have it for free or at least by paying a $3 co-pay which I do not mind. I can refill my prescription Oct 19 and will be requesting Yaz.

But, I won't have protection till then since I am not taking this Gianvi, but I do still have refills of loestrin left. I'm wondering if I should ask the pharmacy to refill my loestrin till my yaz is ready or just hold out till oct 19.

my dr. gave me a sample of yaz but if i use it, I will not have enough refills till last to my yearly exam. i'm super stressed out about this situation! why did i have to get this horrible new generic!! ugh!

Posts: 43 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused - how long have you not been taking any pills at all?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemeterA
Activist
Member # 31674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemeterA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tonight is the first night i have not taken a pill. i have filled my prescription for loestrin and will be trying to get it tomorrow. im afraid the pharmacy is going to suspect something considering i just filled a different bcp less than a week ago, but im going to tell them im not taking gianvi, its horrible! if you google it, all you will find is negative comments.
Posts: 43 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. If you're going with filling your loestrin prescription, just be aware that since you will have been off the pill for a couple of days, you'll need to act as if this is your first month on the pill ever, and wait at least a week before assuming that it's fully effective.

(Just FYI? It's pretty common when googling any medication to find mostly negative comments - it's usually the people who have something negative to say who feel it's worth posting online; those who don't have bad experiences tend not to bother.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.