Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Tribadism Protection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tribadism Protection
QuinFan
Neophyte
Member # 49097

Icon 5 posted      Profile for QuinFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question is... what form(s) of protection can be used when doing tribadism (girl on girl to clear up any confusion). The only options I can think of are A) lots of saran wrap and lube or B) refraining from doing it at all. Dental dams or condoms turned into dental dams are obviously ideal during oral sex but what about when it comes to tribadism. And mutual masturbation is perfectly fine to partake in without gloves or any means of protection... correct?
Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So theres no 'ready-made' protection to use for tribadism. What you can do is make a bikini-type thing with saran wrap and use with lube. Or use dental dams with a harness so you don't have to hold them in place. Or wear clothes/underwear for tribbing.

Know that vulva to vulva contact is more risky than vulva to skin contact in terms of STIs. You can also make it safer by covering any cuts and avoiding touching any sores.

The safest method for mutual masturbation is with lube and gloves (I assume you mean one person touching the other person, rather than touching themselves?). Basically because bacteria can be transferred from fingers to vulva, nails can cause abrasions and body fluids/blood can enter cuts in your hands. If you're not using gloves, you can make it safer by having clean hands without cuts/sores, trimmed nails, avoiding fingering during periods and checking genitals for sores. Regular STI testing is also important.

This is quite a good safer sex site particularly for women who have sex with women, and tells you how to make dam harnesses-
http://www.girl2girl.info/

Hope that helped [Smile] .

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucidkitty
Activist
Member # 49104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucidkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine you could do scissoring with panties on or even pants. But I'm not sure how safe that is to be honest.
Posts: 84 | From: baltimore,maryland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuinFan
Neophyte
Member # 49097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuinFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the replies. I realize my thank-you is delayed. University has kept me busy!

Eryn_smiles: yes I meant touching the other person, not themselves. The link is much appreciated. I appreciate any resource that discusses same same-sex sex really. Especially when I think back to everything I learned in highschool sex-ed. Looking back it baffles me that I only ever witnessed a few sentence long discussion that it was okay to be gay (no other orientations, gender identity issues were brought up) but nobody seemed to realize that being interested in the same sex can actually lead to sex! I feel that GLBTQ issues are very under-represented in the education system and am glad that I am probably more educated than the average bloke (although nobody is ever educated enough). I shudder to think of some peoples situations though. I realize that flaws in sex-ed cirriculum do extend beyond GLBTQ issues, I am merely pointing out that specific issue. I don't mean to sound so sporadically angry!

Also, eryn_smiles, I read your ongoing post about coming out to your SL family. You sound like an amazing person! You're very inspirational. I didn't reply on the actual thread because I'm strapped for time and then realized it was you that replied to my own. I wish I had time to write a better response to all of your heartwrenching, beautiful story. Continue to keep us updated!

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But nobody seemed to realize that being interested in the same sex can actually lead to sex! I feel that GLBTQ issues are very under-represented in the education system

Yes, I agree! Hopefully that's changing very soon.

(I feel a bit embarrassed about "beautiful and heartrenching"...but thanks so much for your support [Smile] . I really appreciate it when there isn't a whole lot of understanding at home)

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuinFan
Neophyte
Member # 49097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuinFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel embarrased!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.