Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » birth control dosage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control dosage
lia132
Neophyte
Member # 48202

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lia132     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again! thanx heather for having answered my prevous question. It was very helpful

I have another question, this time concerning birth control.

I've been thinking of going on birth control and i had a question whether the pills which have lower dosages have a higher pregnancy risk. This may have an obvious "yes" answer as the lower the dosage means the lower the estrogen and progestin levels are, but i guess i just have to hear it to be certain [Razz]

also

Once you go on the pill, how many days/weeks will it be affective? does that depend on the dosage also?

cheers!

Posts: 10 | From: Mexico City | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, all of the brands of birth control pills on the market right now have very low doses of hormones. That doesn't mean that they have higher pregnancy risks: all combination pills have a failure rate of less than 1% if used as directed.

If you start the pill on the first day of a period or the first Sunday after the start of a period, you should be able to rely on it after a week. But here at ST, we always recommend using back-up for one full cycle before relying on the pill alone.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lia132
Neophyte
Member # 48202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lia132     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx bub!

I knew that BC pills have low doses, so i was specifically talking about those who have lowER ones. So to be clear, in general the dosages have nothing to do with how effective they are?

Posts: 10 | From: Mexico City | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep: the dosage of the hormones in your specific brand of birth control pills has nothing to do with the effectiveness rate. All brands of bcp have to meet a specific standard of protection.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, the different levels of different hormones are only different to combat side effects. Some women have less side effects on a higher dosage, some have fewer on lower doses. Everyone works best on different formulations. They all work the same and are all the same effectiveness. [Smile]
Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.