Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » I have a question about the BC Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a question about the BC Pill
samwilliams
Neophyte
Member # 48409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samwilliams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my girlfriend takes a BC pill and she says she finished her last in the packet yesterday. So my question is how long is the time between taking all the contraceptive pills for the month and the first day of her period?

Is it about 3/4 days?

Posts: 6 | From: Wales | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really varies - some women find that they get their withdrawal bleed almost right away, for others it takes several days. She would know what's normal for her, though, if she's been on the pill longer than a few months.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5661 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean she finished the last pill in the pack or the last ACTIVE pill in the pack?
Pills can come in 21 day packs where the girl takes 21 active pills (pills with hormones) and stops taking pills all altogether for 7 days. That's the week she gets her withdrawal bleed. The patch and ring work with the same concept. 21 days on, 7 days off, repeat.
More commonly, pills come in 28 day packs that again contain 21 or 24 active pills followed my 4 or 7 "placebo" or "sugar" pills that have no hormones. The only point of those is to keep her in the habit of taking pills every day. If your GF takes this kind and she is on her last pill, she may be finishing up her bleed.
Every girl gets her withdrawl bleed in different points in the off week. Some get it right away and some do not get it until the day before she starts a new pack, patch, or ring. When I was on bc, I got mine 3 days into the placebo week, but that's me [Smile]

[ 09-11-2010, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: ilovenerds ]

Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.