Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Natazia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Natazia?
mg0307
Neophyte
Member # 48246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mg0307     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran a search but didn't find any previous discussions on this topic.

I am slightly older than the average Scarleteen user (25) but have found this board to be one of the most helpful, up-to-date sources on the Internet for sexual health information. I was hoping someone here might have an answer to my question.

I have not tolerated oral contraceptive drugs well in the past (6 different drugs tried in 7 years). I tend to get irregular, almost nonstop breakthrough bleeding while taking any type of birth control pill, to the point that I was even tested for bleeding and clotting disorders a few years ago. Today my doctor prescribed Bayer's new oral contraceptive, Natazia. It is a combination pill that uses a synthetic estrogen that is different from that found in all other oral contraceptives available in the U.S. Supoosedly, there is some evidence that this particular drug might be less likely to cause irregular bleeding than others.

Has anyone else heard anything about this drug? Any personal experiences, good or bad? I understand it has been available in Europe for several years but was just approved by the FDA this spring.

Posts: 3 | From: TN | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey mg0307, Welcome to Scarleteen! [Smile]

While I haven't used this BCP myself, I did pull up a little bit of research on it for you. For starters, there's an article that was run by CBS (which is usually pretty good about checking and re-checking facts to be sure nothing results in lawsuit) that talks about it a bit here: More Questions Than Answers About Safety of Natazia, Bayer’s New Contraceptive.

Additionally, you should know that RX List and Medicine.net post that irregular bleeding is one of the most common side effects of Natazia. As well, natazia's own website lists that adverse effects include irregular bleeding.

Have you considered looking at methods other than Birth Control Pills since you've had such bad reactions multiple times in the past? Not every method works well for everyone. If you'd like, we can give you a link to an article with information on each method and you can take some time looking through it, then if you'd like to discuss any methods we can do that with you.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mg0307
Neophyte
Member # 48246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mg0307     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me. Yes, I've read those sites, as well as several others. There seems to be conflicting information out there about Natazie and breakthrough bleeding. I think it is probably too early to make any kind of assessment on that one way or the other.

Yes, I am very interested in exploring other methods of birth control. I am seriously considering Mirena (thinking that the lower dose of locally-delivered hormones might cause me fewer problems) - still waiting to hear whether my insurance will cover it. Since I have had trouble with heavy/irregular bleeding in the past, the copper IUD is not an option for me. I have looked into a diapraghm also but have not gotten much positive feedback from doctors on that particular issue.

Posts: 3 | From: TN | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen this yet? Birth Control Bingo!

It may help you narrow down your options in terms of what other methods you'd be comfortable with. I'm sorry your doctors haven't been supportive of you using a diaphragm - have they said anything about why?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mg0307
Neophyte
Member # 48246

Yes, that article has been very helpful to me. The major issue that I have run into with the diaphragm is that they aren't very popular and so doctors aren't used to (or have never!) fitting and prescribing them - and I have primarily seen doctors at major, teaching hospitals due to my issues, so this was quite surprising to me. I became frustrated eventually and stopped exploring it as an option, but if this new drug and the Mirena both do not work out for me, then I plan on pushing harder again for the diaphragm.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.