Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » switching from Nuvaring to the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: switching from Nuvaring to the pill
edukateyourself
Neophyte
Member # 45554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edukateyourself         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I have a few questions for you guys:

1) I'm thinking of switching from Nuvaring to the pill because I have a recurrent UTI problem and I was wondering if this is a valid reason for stopping Nuvaring. Is it possible that Nuvaring is contributing to my UTI problem? (penis-in-vagina intercouse and Nuvaring, perhaps not a good combination for a recurrent UTI problem?)

2) If I go on the pill, do every pill have a cycle similar to Nuvaring's? Is it three weeks of active pills followed by a placebo week?

3) Which pill is most similar to Nuvaring? I want a pill that will have the least side effects possible. The side effect I am most weary of is gaining weight. Is there a pill that is more right for me?

4) Does my having been on Nuvaring for a year help in any way? Am I in some way already "used" to the hormones I would find in the pill, although the concentrations are lower? (I have not had any noticeable side effect with the pill.)

I have my doctor's appointment in a few weeks, but I would like to know what the site has to say. I think the site is amazing and I want to thank you for all the help it has brought me! [Smile]

[ 08-06-2010, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: edukateyourself ]

Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ring might be making you more prone to UTIs. It might not be, but methods that are inside the vagina have sometimes been associated with UTIs. If you don't use condoms, though, that may be a bigger issue. However, switching to the pill might help. Might not, but it might.

The cycle of most combined birth control pills is identical to the Nuvaring: three active weeks of active pills, one week of placebo.

The pill -- and other estrogen/progestin methods, aren't actually associated with weight gain. That is not a side effect linked directly to these medications. water weight gain can happen, but that's usually temporary, Some people using hormonal methods also find their appetite increases, so if they eat more, they'll gain wight, because of eating, not because of their pill. See what I mean?

There are SO many brands of pills, and we can;t say there is any one type of brand with 'the least side effects." That's because what side effects people do or don't have is often less about what brand of pill they're taking and more about how any given pill interacts with our unique chemistries. That said, by all means, when you talk to your doc, if you have done well with the ring per side effects, let them know that and that's something they can consider in choosing a brand for you. But you may also have to try more than one brand to find the one that's best for you: sometimes it just takes some trail and error.

Adjusting to the pill absolutely should be a lot easier given you already have been using a combined hormonal method than if you hadn't been. You may find you experience little to no changes in how you feel at all.

Thanks for such a sweet thank you! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edukateyourself
Neophyte
Member # 45554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for edukateyourself         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the detailed answer! [Smile]
Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to help!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.