Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » condom tips?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom tips?
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I am new to condoms. My boyfriend and I used a condom for the first time a few days ago for oral sex. We are both STD free, we only use them because I'm not a fan of the taste of semen [Razz]

Do you have any tips for using them for oral specifically? The condom excess kept tickling my throat and it kept slipping. His penis is more of the short/thick variety, so I don't think the condom was too large, we just didn't use it right. I know how to put it on and take it off, but the condom just wouldn't cooperate.

Also, should I be weary of the condoms you get in the machines in the gas station bathrooms? This one was in a little box wrapped in plastic, and the exp. date on the aluminum wrapper said 2013. It was a Hygeia (sp?) flavored condom.

Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do need to leave a little bit of room in the tip to prevent condom breakage, but you could try leaving a bit less next time and see if that helps. As for the slipping, the best thing you can do is try several different types of condoms and see which ones fit him best and feel most comfortable.

Condoms bought in gas station bathrooms and the like are generally not the greatest, and while it wasn't expired and didn't break, you're really better off getting a pack of condoms from a pharmacy or grocery store.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovenerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so we didn't do anything horribly wrong then [Razz]

I figured they weren't the best lol, but condom quality isn't really an issue at the moment, as we are only using them because I hate the taste not to prevent STD's (we are both STD free, been monogamous for 3 years, and we were virgins before we met) or pregnancy (we are only having oral due to a scare years ago). Once we begin using them for anything other than oral I'll invest in a nice big variety box [Smile] Right now I have to be super sneaky buying them; I live in a really small town where I am related to pretty much 99% of the population. A nice private gas station bathroom will have to suffice for now.

Still, is it normal to have about 3-4 inches of excess condom at the tip? I try to pull it all down to the base of his penis and hold it there, but it still kept creeping into the back of my throat (gag). What can I do to prevent that from happening?

[ 07-22-2010, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: ilovenerds ]

Posts: 35 | From: Land of Love | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to try a condom with a larger ring size - condoms can keep slipping up if they're too big as well as if they're too small, and you really shouldn't be ending up with 3-4 inches of excess condom at the tip.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovenerds
Neophyte
Member # 47947

He didn't say it felt tight, but it seemed tight rather than loose if size is the issue. When it crept up I had a hard time pulling it back down. I wouldn't think he is so thick he can't handle a regular condom, but idk, I don't really have anyone to compare him too. I can't think of how I would have messed up putting it on him. I did it just like the instructions say.

Maybe we just plain ol' need practice, which I doubt bf would object too! [Big Grin]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Practice always helps, and it's a bonus that you can have fun practicing. [Smile]

You may want to try a larger size of condom even if your partner didn't mention it felt tight. The difference in ring size is only a couple of millimeters, and it will be pretty obvious if it's too loose.

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.